2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with pianotune2 too. I hate for any signature to be visible. I do sign pianos, my whole family does, most tuners around here do but, anyone with any valor, signs it some place where only the next tuner sees it. That way, I can see, oh, so, I filed hammers and regulated the piano on this date. I'd forgotten about that or something else...

I LOVE seeing the service records of my grandfather John Groot whom I never met dating back from the 1920's! And my dad, who is no longer living... Sometimes he would write, "HI JER!" In them, that brings back memories.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I don't ever recall putting a signature on any grand piano, and hardly ever run across one with a signature. I will sign most uprights on the keys (behind the fall board, of course)...starting with key #1. I can usually fit 3 signatures on one key. I have signed a couple of old upright plates, but only because the owners saw the 20 other signatures from over the past century, and wanted me to continue the tradition.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
That Guy #1900620 05/21/12 07:22 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by That Guy

Be sure to go to Google Maps and claim your listing. It's free and if you have a website you can have a direct link to it from there.

I went ahead and signed up for Google Maps. There is a postcard verification thing to wait on. Now I'm having second thoughts. Has anybody signed up for Google Maps and then got deluged with phone and mail solicitations?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
D
D
I've been on Google Maps for a long time and can say it works great. I did have a problem with having 2 websites one time. One was for the band and both sites were signed up with the same mailing address. Google didn't like this and both sites were not showing up. Google thinks this is spam.

So I changed the band site mailing address to one of the band members. I guess you can't have more than one business with the same address. Anyways everything works fine now.

Last edited by Daryl Durand; 05/21/12 05:48 PM.

Daryl Durand, RPT
Durand Piano Service
http://www.durandpiano.com
OP Offline
Does anyone use car door magnets for advertising, if you do how well do they work? Also if you do where did you get it made?

Stewart Moore
Piano Technician North Central and North East Kansas

www.pianotune2.webs.com
D
D
Originally Posted by pianotune2
Does anyone use car door magnets for advertising, if you do how well do they work? Also if you do where did you get it made?
That Guy replied to your post :
Originally Posted by That Guy
Also, I have magnetic signs on my car, they generate quite a bit of business. Since I go all over town anyway it's like a moving billboard. People stop me in parking lots and even in the neighborhood where I'm tuning. They're cheap and effective. Of course be sure to have business cards to give out.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

They work great! There are times when I'm filling my tank at the gas station when someone will come up and either get my card or schedule an appointment right there. smile

edit: I get mine through Vistaprint. Good prices, good service, they'll match them to your cards, etc.

Last edited by Loren D; 05/22/12 06:08 PM.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Loren D #1901459 05/22/12 06:29 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Loren D

They work great! There are times when I'm filling my tank at the gas station when someone will come up and either get my card or schedule an appointment right there. smile

edit: I get mine through Vistaprint. Good prices, good service, they'll match them to your cards, etc.

I got a set from Vistaprint.One fell off the car the second day which they replaced. within a year the image was coming off and I never had anyone take notice. Last year I had vinyl lettering done to the back hatch and keyboards the the rear side windows of my car.This has generated business and it cost about $150

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
I'm conflicted ... do I tell my competitors how to get more market share, and thereby sabotage my own success?

I'll tell you what doesn't work:

1 - Yellow Pages.
2 - Welcome Wagons.
3 - Newspaper advertising.

What does work:

1 - Reminder cards in the mail
2 - Followup phone calls
3 - Teacher referrals
4 - Dealer work in exchange for a pittance, and new customers.
5 - Website with google adwords.

I have other secrets that will remain secret for now. But, I will reveal that I'm going to look into social network marketing next.

Registered Piano Technician
Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
Does anyone here have experience with Angie's List?

OP Offline
[quote=Randy Karasik]I'm conflicted ... do I tell my competitors how to get more market share, and thereby sabotage my own success?

I tell you what I will stay east of you in Kansas Randy wink

Stewart Moore

www.pianotune2.webs.com
pianovoce #1901913 05/23/12 03:12 PM
OP Offline
I am on Angie's list, haven't seen any benefit from it. Still I figure it can't hurt anything being on it, as long as I don't get bad reviews crazy

Stewart Moore

www.pianotune2.webs.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A couple of years ago, I had a local sign shop make me up some yard signs. I gave my customers (located in high traffic areas) a small discount if they were willing to display my sign in their yard for a couple of weeks, or until I was back around that way to pick it up. Everyone was very happy to do it for me. I only had four signs made up, but would strategically place them in the different towns that I service. I had people tell me, "I see your signs all over town." I never told them that I only have four and just move them around. LOL! Here's a picture of one...

[Linked Image]

Also, we have a couple of very large basketball tournaments in our area. I made up this ad to run on the tournament program. I have learned that it's always good to be able to track your marketing to see how successful it is, so this year I will be adding a coupon so I can track the ad's success. There is a lot of down time between games, and the only thing people have to do is sit and look at the ads in the program. I even reserve the space below the basket team at the school where I teach.

[Linked Image]

It also helps to have a professional looking website and facebook presence. Here is the cover photo I created for my facebook fan page...

[Linked Image]

as well as having a cool logo...

[Linked Image]

I designed all of these in Microsoft Word. I also have a yellow pages ad. When I set the ad up, the customer service agent asked me if he could call me back after researching how I could set my ad apart from my competitors. (I really don't have any in my area.) I humored him and said sure. In a few days, he called me back said "Well, Mr. Hassell, you really don't have a whole lot of competitors, your ad is probably fine as it is." He recommended a website called www.getlisted.com It is a way to be sure your website and company are found when people do a search online.

Last edited by Ryan Hassell; 05/29/12 08:05 AM.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found out last week that Vistaprint does t-shirts and polo shirts. I was able to design what I wanted on my computer and upload it directly to their site. I just ordered one for now to see how I like it. I'm thinking about doing some t-shirts to give to my students at school to help advertise.

Here's what I designed. It will be embroidered on a black polo shirt.

[Linked Image]

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Great work, Ryan. I really like the signs.

Tuner-Technician

OP Offline
My problem with vistaprint is its way to easy, I end up buying all kinds of stuff I really don't need. I have gotten window decals for the car, car magnets, fridge magnets, pens, 4 different kinds of postcards, business cards, poster adds etc.. I have my eye on some shirts now also.

Stewart Moore

www.pianotune2.webs.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a thought the other day...

I always leave my business card on the piano, with the date the piano was tuned. Taking a cue from the oil change people, the next time I get business cards printed, I think I'm going to make a place for "Next service due on__ __ ___" with a place to put the date.

What do you think?

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ryan Hassell
I had a thought the other day...

I always leave my business card on the piano, with the date the piano was tuned. Taking a cue from the oil change people, the next time I get business cards printed, I think I'm going to make a place for "Next service due on__ __ ___" with a place to put the date.

What do you think?

I'd forget without those oil change reminders, so this seems like a great idea!

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
I agree with pianotune2 too. I hate for any signature to be visible. I do sign pianos, my whole family does, most tuners around here do but, anyone with any valor, signs it some place where only the next tuner sees it. That way, I can see, oh, so, I filed hammers and regulated the piano on this date. I'd forgotten about that or something else...

I LOVE seeing the service records of my grandfather John Groot whom I never met dating back from the 1920's! And my dad, who is no longer living... Sometimes he would write, "HI JER!" In them, that brings back memories.

I loved this post. What a great feeling to start the day.

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A friend with whom I teach, made me a few of these shirts in exchange for a piano tuning. Pretty good trade off!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission