2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Chrislw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have a yamaha CLP-430, and I have a few questions about it.

First has anyone ever had problems with the power button on digital pianos? I've had a digital keyboard before, and after a few years of daily use, the power button wouldn't turn the keyboard off anymore(it was nowhere near as good as this one, but still). I'm just wondering if turning it on and off 3 times a day will wear it out over the years.

There was a warning about the power requirements and voltage selector (not sure if the clp-430 has the voltage selector or not). Do I have anything to worry about if plugging it in to an american household electrical outlet, or was that warning more for using this piano in other countries? It says 120V 25W and 60Hz on the plate under it.

Also, when should it be unplugged? It says that it continues to draw power even when turned off, so is leaving it plugged in all the time okay? I'll unplug it if I'm going to be gone for a few days or so, but do you guys usually keep yours plugged in even if you skip a day?

I know some of these questions are kind of dumb, but it cost me $2,500

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
"120V 25W and 60Hz" - that's standard US, should be fine.

Plug it into a good surge protecting power strip and use that to turn it off when you're not using it. Saves wear and tear on the power button and helps protect your DP.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you want to avoid wear on the piano's power switch, just get a small power-strip. They're under $5. Leave the piano on, and control it from the power-strip. If the power-strip's switch fails, you're out a mere $5.

In my case, I leave the power switch on at all times. The piano (and my other equipment) get power from my receiver/amplifier. So when I turn on the amplifier, everything gets powered up.

I unplug the piano (and lots of other things) only when I go away for an extended period.

C
Chrislw Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Is a power strip different from a multiple-connector?
Is says "Do not connect the instrument to an electrical outlet using a multiple-connector. Doing so can result in lower sound quality, or possibly cause overheating in the outlet."

N
N
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Leave the piano on, and control it from the power-strip. If the power-strip's switch fails, you're out a mere $5.

Don't. If you take out the power that way, the power goes out abruptly, which is probably not what the switch on the piano does.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I usually turn on my N3 from a power strip but only because I'm lazy. I have several items plugged into that strip and it just saves time.

I personally wouldn't worry about the on\off switch, but that's just me. (I'm more concerned about keeping my computer backed up on a separate drive. I know one day I'll turn on the computer and the on\off switch will work but the hard drive won't boot up.)

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by nicola montecchio
Leave the piano on, and control it from the power-strip. If the power-strip's switch fails, you're out a mere $5.

Don't. If you take out the power that way, the power goes out abruptly, which is probably not what the switch on the piano does.

you seem to have the minority opinion here, and i am now very interested becuase i use the on/off button of my vpiano and maybe it makes more sense just to use the surge protected power strip i have.

Can you expand on your thinking?
thanks

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bfb

you seem to have the minority opinion here, and i am now very interested becuase i use the on/off button of my vpiano and maybe it makes more sense just to use the surge protected power strip i have.

thanks

Use the power-strip for protection, use the on/off switch on the piano for convenience.

I think this is total overreaction about the likelihood of power-switches wearing out. I've got dozens of devices that have been switched on multiple times a day for 15 years and all of them are still working. Not only that, but if the unlikely happens and you need a new switch at some stage, even if you couldn't get a replacement original switch, you'll find a generic switch that fits and looks fine. There are catalogs of switches of every shape, size and colour. Just use your piano the way it's most convenient and don't worry about your power switch.

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by bfb

thanks

Use the power-strip for protection, use the on/off switch on the piano for convenience.

I think this is total overreaction about the likelihood of power-switches wearing out. I've got dozens of devices that have been switched on multiple times a day for 15 years and all of them are still working. Not only that, but if the unlikely happens and you need a new switch at some stage, even if you couldn't get a replacement original switch, you'll find a generic switch that fits and looks fine. There are catalogs of switches of every shape, size and colour. Just use your piano the way it's most convenient and don't worry about your power switch.

thanks...

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S

'probably' is the key word here. If the DP power switch is merely a single or double pole switch on the AC input then using the power switch on an outlet strip instead is going to be exaclty the same. I suspect this is the case here, but I don't know.

If the DP power switch is a signal switch connected to the PCB in the DP, a bit like the power switch on my laptop, then it's providing a logic signal to the power circuitry or some firmware/software to instigate a controlled power down. 'probably' not in this case.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
See if the specs mention standby power. If it does, then the switch is not a mains switch.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
It's a power switch. Pianos don't have a standby mode. It's a power switch.

Much ado about nothing.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It's a power switch. Pianos don't have a standby mode. It's a power switch.

Probably true, but since I don't own every digital piano ever made I have no way to verify that.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Lots of electronic devices have a "stand by" mode. TVs, computers, I would suspect the majority of modern devices do. The question is whether shutting the mains off to them lengthens or shortens their life, statistically speaking. My bet is disconnecting anything from the AC supply when you're not using it (i.e. turning off the power strip it's plugged into) is a net gain, mainly because it then physically can't be taken out by a power surge. Lightening might still jump the switch gap I suppose, but all bets are off if that happens.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission