2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
cagal, perhaps this?

http://www.freecycle.org/

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This reminds me of the story of someone who put an old refrigerator out on the sidewalk with a sign on it saying "FREE". But, there were no takers. The sign was then changed to "FOR SALE, $300.00". That very night, someone stole it!

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
C
cagal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
HAHA chatnoir - I love it. We left an old love seat out for junk pick up that our two dogs chewed and sat in (very smelly and hairy and generally doggy) and someone actually took it before the city came on garbage day! Amazes me to this day, but at the time we lived near a subsidized housing project and we decided maybe someone was desparate enougth to take it. Not that my piano is hairy and gross from having two approximatly 100 lbs dogs lying all over it LOLOLOL. I have tried the play me piano project for now - they will be in the major city near me in July and it would be SOOOO cool if they could actually use it.

Jim, what is PTG (sorry - not familiar with the acronym).

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Piano Technicians Guild (ptg.org)

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
K
K
Originally Posted by BoseEric
Please, call one of those commercial Junk haulers and send it away. Pianos wear out and a crappy old piano past its useful life is of no value to anybody. By dumping it on some institution you perpetuate the myth that pianos don't wear out.

X2

Wells Pianos
wellspianos.com
new: Bosendorfer, Seiler, Hailun, Brodmann, Charles Walter, Pramberger
rebuilt: Mason & Hamlin, Steinway and other quality pianos
651-695-1000
651-757-6136
P
P
I should have spoken up sooner, cagal, but throughout this thread that thought has been drumming in the back of my mind that your piano WAS checked out by a technician so where all this crap piano talk came from, well it wasn't YOUR piano they were talking about! smile

P
P
From reading previous posts that I'm guessing that piano was good enough to get Cagal to RCM Grade 9. It can't be THAT crappy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If the piano is in good shape and you don't have to have it out by a certain date just keep up with the suggestions you've been given here. Sometimes the person who wants it just wasn't looking at the moment. Its just like when you bid on something on ebay and half the world bids against you but then 3 weeks later another one shows up on auction and not a single other bidder shows. The interested people were just preoccupied with something else at the moment.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
As Yogi Berra put it, "If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark, nobody's going to stop them."

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prenex
From reading previous posts that I'm guessing that piano was good enough to get Cagal to RCM Grade 9. It can't be THAT crappy.

Spot on!

One persons "trash" is another persons treasure. Besides, I do think many house builders also think that 50+ year old homes should be bulldozed... Sure, pianos are different and I understand both arguments here. I too want a strong piano industry but not all can afford new pianos, especially not the ones made in high cost countries.

Last edited by Amaruk; 06/30/12 09:59 AM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Here's another place to try:

http://www.pianoadoption.com/

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
BoseEric, I know what you are saying, but in the case of my old piano, it was tuned to 440, all of the keys worked fine (two or three were a little "clicky", but not obtrusive), the pedals all worked, the finish looked OK. The varnish was checked, but evenly so. One of the key tops had been replaced and that was noticeable because it was not real ivory so it didn't quite match the others. It had just been tuned and checked and had some adjusting and screw-tightening done. I forgot the name of the screws that the tech adjusted. You could get a good dynamic range out of it still. Is that objective enough for you to know that it was not a POS? I am very aware that a crappy instrument does more harm than good for beginning players.

Lee
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Here's the thing. The OP said "he can't give it away." That's the definition of something that has no value.

If you can't give something away, then the next step is to pay someone to take it or provide a similar incentive. It true for pianos, houses, art, anything.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
C
cagal Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ok - I am on vacation but feel obliged to make some comments. First , I am a "she" not a "he". The point about not being able to give it away was based on the very little effort I put into the project at this point. Someone noted I had managed
to pass grade 9 on this piano (sorry that I can't give credit to whoever made tihis point I am doing this on my iPhone). this is absolutely correct. I did not want to put a bunch of time into donating/giving awaymy piano with no direction when I thought I could get some good suggestions and possibly come up with something worthwhile based on others experience. I find it really insulting that some people presumed that I would try to foist a piece of crap on somebody especially somebody less fortunate than myself. For the last time I note that I said I had a tech come out to look at it and her recommendation was it was worthwhile keeping it. I am now going to enjoy a delicious meal in the Rockies and not let this bother me any me any more. This is why I post so little in general

Last edited by cagal; 07/01/12 07:22 PM.

Gave up on exams - playing whatever I feel like
Working on:
Bach Partita #2- up to the Courante so far
Liszt Consolation #2
Piazzolla Milonga del Angel
Hi Cagal,

Please don’t take offence to some of the comments that were made in your thread… the title of your thread alone would tend to solicit all kinds of thoughts and suggestions, which is what you were looking for, right?

Now that you’ve explained yourself in more detail, I’m sure some of the posters may have different ideas.

Enjoy your meal in the Rockies!! I hope it is cooler there than here in west central Georgia! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
B
Now is maybe not the right time to do it, but you might try leaving a note on a bulletin board at the practice rooms of a college that has music students, if there is one in your area. However, you might wait until students are coming back, rather than leaving.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission