2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 42 of 79 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 78 79
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Greetings Bernard...long time no see! smile

It would be great if you could join us. I take it you are not attending the PTG convention in Las Vegas, as you would not be that far by plane to Oregon.

Thanks for your participation in the A/B comparison/test. Answers to the 3 recordings will be forthcoming.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not know what you would consider such a study. What literature have you read? Have you read Barbour, or Parch, for instance?

You mean Harry Partch? That's not what I mean at all. (Interesting reading though.)

I mean something like a double-blind study with a bunch of piece (fragments) and a few dozen subjects to see what is really heard and what is imagined. I have done studies like that for non-musical sounds myself.

I'm 99% sure it this existed I'd know about it.

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
EBVT III tuning session update.

Gregg Punswick will be preparing Chopin's Fantasie Impromtu for play on the M&H RBB. The plan is to also record on the Yamaha Disklavier DGT2IIXG. We might even have a bit of impromptu "Going Home" from Dvorak's New World Symphony from Patrick Wingren. smile

We can also play these pieces in any key. Btw, Doel Kees will possibly be coming for a day as well, on his way through Portland! I believe he wants to further explore EBVT III with Bill.

This will be quite a 3 day tuning/exploration adventure!

Kees, you mentioned F# and C# Major, if there is any other key someone would like to hear, please let me know...easy to do with a push of a button.

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 06/17/10 02:40 AM.
K
K
It would be interesting to hear some piece played in both C and C# major in EBVT.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This key signature thing...

I've always thought of the interaction between composers and the tuning of the time. Again, written evidence is weak, but it seems likely that if MOST tunings had some sort of circle of fifths based reference pre-1900, then the composers would have kept that in mind while creating. There's that whole Key color thing - certain keys were thought to have certain characteristics...(see www.rollingball.com) Consider the Well Tempered Clavier- the difference in the way the keyboard is used between Cmaj and C# major...

Kind of like racing tires and snow tires... Take those slicks out in the snow? Put the studded tires on in the summer? Those tires won't seem so good then. Use them how they were intended? Different story.

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ron,
True, true. Very true. And that is one distinguishing characteristic of the EBVT III temperament--key color!

But, as I understand it, the purpose of the "transposing test" is to put to rest the question of whether or not EBVT III works gracefully in all keys. So, let's take a familiar piece of music and run it through the mill.

WTC prelude no.1 in C, played in Db? Let's give it a whirl and see what happens!

--Andy Strong

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Ron,
True, true. Very true. And that is one distinguishing characteristic of the EBVT III temperament--key color!

But, as I understand it, the purpose of the "transposing test" is to put to rest the question of whether or not EBVT III works gracefully in all keys. So, let's take a familiar piece of music and run it through the mill.

WTC prelude no.1 in C, played in Db? Let's give it a whirl and see what happens!

--Andy Strong

What an excellent suggestion for a test piece!

Why not try in C, C-sharp, and C-flat?

Why not also Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer"?

Last edited by daniokeeper; 06/17/10 02:07 PM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C#, Db ... I could live with either choice. grin Bb would be fun, too.

It wouldn't really need to be "performed" per se. It could just be chorded out, then transposed.

Just a thought...

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner

I've always thought of the interaction between composers and the tuning of the time. Again, written evidence is weak, but it seems likely that if MOST tunings had some sort of circle of fifths based reference pre-1900, then the composers would have kept that in mind while creating. There's that whole Key color thing - certain keys were thought to have certain characteristics...(see www.rollingball.com) Consider the Well Tempered Clavier- the difference in the way the keyboard is used between Cmaj and C# major...

Kind of like racing tires and snow tires... Take those slicks out in the snow? Put the studded tires on in the summer? Those tires won't seem so good then. Use them how they were intended? Different story.

Yes Ron, and this is why I like playing in the temperament and key more than transposing mechanically (digitally). The music comes out a bit differently, and it really feels different to the pianist!

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C#, Db ... I could live with either choice. grin Bb would be fun, too.

It wouldn't really need to be "performed" per se. It could just be chorded out, then transposed.

Just a thought...

--Andy

hahaha

I simply used C# as a shorthand way of suggesting raising and then lowering it 1/2-step. smile

Again, great suggestion for a piece.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your suggestions....they are duly noted.

I should clarify that with the Yamaha Disklavier DGT2IIXG, any key can be chosen at the touch of a button, then played and recorded in that key. The pianist can then tailor his playing to what he is hearing in the different keys...mind you, this would be in Yamaha's version of "ET", not EBVT III. What we cannot do is have the pianist sit at the M&H BB, and have that selection recorded, as the LX does not record, only playback. We can however have the pianist record on the Yamaha in any key, then have that Disklavier file encoded for the LX, then play that file through the LX on the M&H BB, in the key we had chosen on the Disklavier when it was recorded. LOL...I hope that was not too convoluted!

Another possibility that's been suggested....we tune the piano to "ET" the first day, record the pieces, then the piano will be re-tuned to EBVT III the next day. EBVT III is not that far removed from ET as to cause any instability. It would be also possible to tune it to Bernard Stopper's "Only Pure" tuning, as I have his software on my IPAQ. If Bernard were there in person to tune, even better! smile

If anyone has any other suggestions as to procedure, please let me know.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
GPM, if a 3d tuning could be included that would be super interesting.

If it was up to me I'd include Bach-Lehman which is claimed to be an all-purpose temperament. In my experience everything sounds good in it; Bach, Chopin, Satie, Ligeti. But then I'm a lousy pianist. Bach-Lehman is about in-between for example Werckmeister 3 and ET and EBVT in-between BL and ET so it would give a nice comparison.

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Will definitely try and fit in a 3rd tuning. It might be that we just have time for 2, as the original plan was just to concentrate on EBVT III. But who knows...with the Bill and Patrick there, it might be possible, barring any unforeseen issues with the piano, action, and player systems etc.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pppat
Originally Posted by RonTuner

Yes Ron, and this is why I like playing in the temperament and key more than transposing mechanically (digitally). The music comes out a bit differently, and it really feels different to the pianist!

Patrick,

Earlier in this thread you said you would "dwell" a bit on how the temperament affected your playing. I looked back through the thread and couldn't see where you spelled it out. But, since I vividly recall your post to the Pianist Corner thread, I am quoting it here. I hope you don't mind, and I hope you will elaborate on it:

Now, here's an important point that I think it would be a good thing to bring up after the discussion has shifted a bit towards the player-piano postings that GP (=Grandpianoman) made such a wonderful effort of sharing with us here.

When I recorded the Bach/Siloti and the Debussy on the same piano with different temperaments, all done inside 48 hrs, I was pretty baffled myself.

I knew from earlier experiences that two pianos could physically sound different with different temperaments. Not only the pitch, but the other factors - timbre, dynamics, pedalling, sustain - they really change!

And without being the least scientific, it might all be in the player's conception of the instrument. Which leads us to play differently - and this is mostly interesting.

To me, during the recording weekend, Equal Temperament (ET) was like a beautifully calibrated machine. I could bring ideas to it, and they where executed in orderly fashion. I can in no way complain on what the piano did with what I asked it for. It reproduced and gave tone to what I felt inside.

But, aah, the dialogue i experienced with the EBVT III smile Sometimes I pushed it and it refused, other times it happily went with me, even pushing me on. In one place I was going to do a rallentando, but It kicked me on forwards. Then, instead, it it seemed to be willing to stay on certain following resonant chords forever.

I've never been riding horses myself, but a few of my friends do. I finally start to get a grasp of what they are talking about in the constant communication giving a surprising result that often seems to exceed the abilities of either part.

My main point is that I hope that as many of you pianists as possible would get the chance to play a piano like this, because it really is something else wow

Harsh critic has been brought forward against non-equal temperaments, stating that they abandon the remote keys for the purity of the close keys.
Personally, I do not think this is more than a theoretical problem. If I can play "Clair de Lune" in D flat and both musicians and tuners have a hard time telling the temperaments apart, there shouln't be much doubt left that the EBVT III is a true 24-key alternative to todays industry standard ET.

And - in my personal opinion - this alternative is a much more interesting and pleasing one. But don't just take my word for it, challenge your tuners out there grin If they are of a curious nature and eager to take on new things, taking up the challenge they will be rewarded with greater sensitivity to music, and a deepened understanding of their standard tuning as well.

And, for interested readers, here is how I underscored Patrick's comments at Pianist Corner:

[...]
But, aah, the dialogue i experienced with the EBVT III smile Sometimes I pushed it and it refused, other times it happily went with me, even pushing me on. In one place I was going to do a rallentando, but It kicked me on forwards. Then, instead, it it seemed to be willing to stay on certain following resonant chords forever.

I've never been riding horses myself, but a few of my friends do. I finally start to get a grasp of what they are talking about in the constant communication giving a surprising result that often seems to exceed the abilities of either part.

My main point is that I hope that as many of you pianists as possible would get the chance to play a piano like this, because it really is something else wow

[...]

I am so grateful for Patrick's post above, because ever since I started playing in EBVT III, I've had this burning desire to get the word out to performers about it. But I'm just little old me, basically playing to anyone in the neighborhood who happens to be walking the dog by my open window when I'm practicing...

So, I just want to underscore what Patrick said. And what Nick said about it being "such an indulgence." Playing in EBVT III does things to you as you play. It causes you to hear things and feel things you've never heard or felt before. It brings out mysteries. It helps you shape phrases. It encourages you to strike chords in certain ways. It can help you develop a deeper appreciation for the genius of the composers you play.

When Patrick says, "but, ah, the dialogue I experienced with the EBVT III..." There is so much in that statement! Which is why I gave you the description of Michael Kaeshammer playing the temperament in concert. I really could see from his facial expressions the joy and surprise he encountered by playing on a piano that was "alive" with EBVT III. Plus, I could hear it with my own ears as he met it! I think that's why I was so thrilled with the performance. grin

I'm looking forward to hearing from Ryan ("Fog Audio"), when he gets some time, about his experience playing in the temperament. He is Nick's customer, and he posted some recordings to the "My Piano in EBVT III" thread (this links to page 19, with his first recording. Look for the corrected version, about half-way down the page.)

So, when Patrick says,

But don't just take my word for it, challenge your tuners out there grin If they are of a curious nature and eager to take on new things, taking up the challenge they will be rewarded with greater sensitivity to music, and a deepened understanding of their standard tuning as well.

That's my hope and desire for all of you as well! Because not only will your tuner be rewarded with greater sensitivity-- You will, too!

--Andy Strong

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/19/10 08:48 AM. Reason: diction

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I have been rummaging through this thread hoping to find some basic information on the difference between ET and EBVT and or EBVT iii. I have also tried Bill Bremmer's website. Apart from this thread, is there a separate thread that provides an intro to EBVT that explains in what manner it deviates from ET ?

Thank you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Check out www.rollingball.com for graphical representations of the EBVT series, as well as a bunch of other alternate temperaments. Ask back if they don't make any sense - I know it took a bunch of time for me to understand!

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I tuned a Yamaha C7 for a trio concert (violin, cello, piano) on Thursday, June 17, part of the Korsholm Music Festival. I used a slightly tweaked version of EBVT III, giving me a temperament that I personally think might be my favorite "mainstream" alternative to ET.

I read the review in the local newspaper today, and couldn't help but smile. A lot of it was about color. Here's an excerpt, roughly translated into English:

Following the intermission, the tonalities were already well established in the hall. It felt like the program was casted in one piece, but the reason for that might be hard to point out for the uninitiated - the concert was put together of pieces in keys with flats, and that more or less automatically gives a full-bodied grasp of the aural space. An evident feeling of pithyness and drama resonated among the pillars in Ahlbäcksalen [the concert hall]. String instruments sound warmer and juicyer in keys with flats (something that, for example, Paganini was known to make good use of). The Allegretto in Bb major, WoO 39, provided a good example of this fact, with its flowing elegance and furtive glances upon unexpected chords. Still, this key phenomenon was even more clear in Beethoven's piano trio in Eb flat, op. 70/2, in which each of the three instruments were given virtuoso parts in which they could shine. Marko Ylönen's cello tone deserves to be especially noted, warm and rich in color. The melancholic beauty of the third movement, with its major-minor shifts, appealed to me most.

Coincidential? Maybe. Personally, I'd like to believe that the temperament made a difference.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Patrick! I would not doubt that the temperament made a big difference.

Looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your 'tweaked' version. I wonder if we can implement it during yours and Bill's visit? Is it that far removed from the original EBVT III?

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Patrick,
Excellent news and congratulations on a fine review. ...curious what you did to get somewhere in between quasi-ET and quasi-EBVTiii so as to give you a "mainstream" temperament that provides decent coloration and consistency.

It has been my experience that when tuning ET, I end up with something that has to work with the piano's scale and voice, so it ends up being what some would consider quasi-ET, just like what happens in EBVTiii after following the directions to a T, tweaks have to be made so as to avoid chords that sound just plain too busy. My own lack of skills at this early juncture makes consistency a thing that requires great focus.

GPM...Thanks for offering up such a delightful way to compare the temperaments.

The second movement to Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata is written in such a way that shows a great deal of color as that piece makes his way in and out of Ab and all the associated inversions. I've heard transcriptions of other Beethoven pieces played in keys other than how it was written and it just sounds like it has been transcribed to a different key and just does not sound the same, i.e., Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1 in C#minor transposed into d-min seems to ruin it - it just sounds strange.

BWV 846 is fine for a demo, but single notes strung together might not show off the finest aspects of EBVTiii. Is there a way for you to capture the second movement of Pathetique in its original key, then have the program transpose it into G, for example? That would be great if you could do that. It is a commonly heard piece of music, and a fine one at that.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
GP, Glen: Thanks! And no, it is no big deviation from EBVT III at all, and problably something Bill does sometimes, too. I just noticed that if you

1) sacrifize the pureness of C4 and lower it slightly, placing it "in between" the 4th and 5th (G3 and F3),
2) raise D4 to make a closer to pure G3-D4 fifth (and, yes, making A3-D4 beat at approx 2 bps),

it would make the rollingball.com graph of EBVT III (that is posted on Bill's site) very symmetrically fan-shaped. Since I like symmetry, I tried it out, and it worked well smile

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
Page 42 of 79 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 78 79

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission