2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
49 members (chopinetto, Boboulus, Carey, anotherscott, Charles Cohen, cozmopak, AWilley, Bruce In Philly, 14 invisible), 431 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
book and sheet music fees
#1917864 06/23/12 09:19 PM
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
A piano teacher friend mentioned to me recently that she charges a flat monthly rate for her students' lessons, and this fee includes all books and sheet music.
I recall a few of you here who say you do the same.

How does this work exactly? Do you account for every book and piece of sheet music you give to each student and note this on each monthly statement?
Or do you not note any book charges at all?
The teacher I was speaking with does not note any book charges and says it works fine for her and her students.

Piano Teacher
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: book and sheet music fees
Barb860 #1917879 06/23/12 10:53 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I only charge my students for theory/activity books.

A few years ago, I figured out what I was spending, on average, per student and added that amount into my annual tuition. I also state that students who complete level 6 of Certificate of Merit must purchase their own books when they begin level 7. I still do a fair amount of lending from my library at that point, so even though they are buying their own materials, the tuition covers the cost of maintaining my library.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Barb860 #1918006 06/24/12 09:07 AM
P
P
I charge separately for books and materials and itemize these on the monthly tuition invoice. The cost of books is so different for each student, especially as students advance out of the methods or participate in Guild, NFMC, etc. My concern about including books in the lesson fee is that I would minimize the amount of books my students use (in order to increase my margin). I never find that parents are resistant to buying new books.

The only materials I include in the lesson fee are items that I print from the Internet (i.e. state theory exams).

Children's piano instructor
Member NGPT, MTNA/TMTA/PMTA, NFMC/SJFMC
Barb860 #1918019 06/24/12 09:45 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I failed to mention that students generally don't keep the books they use for these early levels unless they want to do so. This has given me a great deal of freedom in choosing materials and kept the costs down for the parents. There might be only one piece in a book I want to use with a student, so they just use the book for that one piece, then it goes back in my library.

This was especially helpful recently with a transfer student. I tried out a total of three different method series before I found the one that really clicked with her. That would have been a terrible expense that I probably would not have gone to if her parents were buying the materials. As it is, I have them all in my library and she is happily making progress.

M.M., Piano
Barb860 #1918054 06/24/12 11:01 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
When I first started teaching back in the 70's I used to bill parents for music as those expenses occurred. The problem was that they'd forget to include it in their monthly tuition check and it was just a hassle.

In the 80's I decided to move to an annual 'book fee' that was collected at the beginning of the school year. I would then keep itemized log of each student's books and would refund any monies with the included list at the end of the school year. Too much bookkeeping.

For the past several years I've instead collected an annual registration/enrollment fee that's a flat fee (equal to roughly one month's tuition) that everyone pays. I use this to pay for all students' books no matter what level. Some students will need more books, some won't need as many. I also use the fee to pay for studio supplies that aren't books: stickers, pencils, office and printing supplies, upgrading rhythm instruments, music software, etc... I don't call it a book fee but rather an annual enrollment fee, so parents don't expect an itemized list of all purchases made. They also aren't adding up in their head to make sure the books their child gets equals to the fee they've paid. For me, this has been the easiest way to have parents pay for music books.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
dumdumdiddle #1918101 06/24/12 01:12 PM
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I like the idea of a fee to include supplies and software, etc. Thank you all for your suggestions and keep them coming, much appreciated!
Very helpful to know what works for you.

I have a library of books that I loan to students for the purpose of learning one piece here and there at the early levels, similar to what Minniemay does. I don't charge a library/supply fee because the students are borrowing these materials, but I still go out and buy new ones and add to the library. It's an expense!
Students are billed for sheet music and books they keep.

Piano Teacher
Barb860 #1918109 06/24/12 01:36 PM
I include book/ material fees in my monthly tuition. Parents appreciate not having additional charges billed to them, and those material charges get written off as business expense at the end of the year anyway.

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
Barb860 #1918113 06/24/12 01:53 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
We were always told what to purchase and we bought it. Is there a cost savings if teachers buy the material for the student ahead of time, or what is the reason?

Barb860 #1918135 06/24/12 02:51 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My greatest problems when I had students purchasing the music were thus:

- students not purchasing the music or forgetting to do so in time
- students purchasing the wrong books, even when I wrote down exactly what to purchase, including the book's catalog number and having shown the parent the actual book
- the store not having in stock what I needed (and regularly used)
- the store taking too long to get the order in

I do get discounts when I purchase online, and sometimes I get free shipping, but that is not my primary motivator. I want to have what I need when I need it. I am getting ready to go to my state music teachers convention and you can bet I have a list ready for what I will be purchasing.

M.M., Piano
Barb860 #1918138 06/24/12 02:58 PM
D
D
I have not included the books in the fee but I am this year if they pay a certain way. I have always purchased the books for the students and the parents reimburse me, that way I know they have the right book. There have been a couple of times in the past where students have purchased the wrong book and the music stores around here do not accept books back.

This year I am including the books if they pay the entire year in 2 instalments as opposed to monthly cheques. I get a 15% discount at the local music stores so the cost is worth it in my opinion to not have to collect money every month.
I generally do not loan books out to students, there are exceptions, because I don't know what condition they would be returned in and unless I had something in my policy about it, most parents would not pay for the book if they ruined it.

Barb860 #1918200 06/24/12 05:59 PM
I have charged a monthly "materials" fee for a few years now and it works great since I used to have problems with parents "forgetting" to add on the extra amounts for books, etc (even if it was on the invoice!)

I figured out the averages spent and incorporated that into the new monthly fees -- it works great!

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

Barb860 #1918359 06/25/12 01:52 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I don't see a point of charging "book and sheet music fees" unless you want to make more money. And that's very little money to be made.

I just make my students go buy their own books, or, if they want me to buy the books for them, I charge them extra.

I also learned not to lend out books. They always come back damaged in some way. Some of these books cost me over $40 per book, so there's no way I'm lending those out. For the really really cheapo parents, I just refer them to imslp.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Barb860 #1918363 06/25/12 02:33 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok,

I have a question to that, if you, kind teachers of PW (<- with cherry topping and sugar coating and all that).

If you want your students to buy a book, that is not exactly available everywhere (yet). For example with 'Sketch Music' at the moment it's only available through the EMF website, secure as it gets, through paypal payment, and shipped from Greece. Not the ideal situation.

I've been pondering on what would the best course of action be?

Would the teacher be willing to buy a 'chunk' of books (assuming they actually need them for their students) in a reduced price, so that the students can avoid the hassle of ordering from Greece, etc?

AZN: 'Cheapo parents'! LOL!

Barb860 #1918444 06/25/12 08:17 AM
B
B
Yes. My lesson books are not readily available, so I buy them online and sell them to my students.

But then, I also do an annual music fee so I can build up a huge library and loan out books, saving the parents money. I'm all about making piano lessons easy on the parents where I can. That said, some of my books have not gotten returned, which makes me kind of mad. I definitely need to establish a sort of check-out system where I have a record of who has what and what condition it was in before they got it. I know replacing things eventually is just par for the course, but if a student totally destroys or loses a book, I'd want them to replace it.

Piano teacher since 2008, member of NFMC
Barb860 #1918449 06/25/12 08:31 AM
M
M
I buy the books for students as they are needed. I will tell the parents ahead of time that their child will be ready for some new books and the approximate cost. Then the student gets the books a few weeks later, and then I add that on to the monthly bill, or the parent offers to pay for the books right away. It hasn't been a problem and I don't need to spend a lot of extra time collecting for the cost of books. They understand it's an additional expense, and since I get a 10% discount from my store I don't pass that along to students and that covers my time spent buying the books (I'll usually buy a bunch at one time that I know I'll be needing in the coming weeks).

As far as loaning books, I do that once in a while when a student only needs to work out of a book for a little while, but I keep a log of when it was loaned and to whom so I can keep track. I really try to avoid doing this, however, since things get "lost" sometimes.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
keystring #1918542 06/25/12 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by keystring
We were always told what to purchase and we bought it. Is there a cost savings if teachers buy the material for the student ahead of time, or what is the reason?

Great question! Certain stores will give a "teacher discount", or if you buy in bulk, you'll get a percentage off the normal price. I use many different types of materials with my students (since all students do not learn in the same way), so it is easier for me to purchase the items. It also prevents students from picking up the wrong materials, as sometimes can happen.
But what works for me might not work for someone else. It's just a matter of teacher's preference, I suppose.

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
Barb860 #1918653 06/25/12 08:12 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Any teacher discount is usually 10% at best, and even across books for a number of students this discount probably does not adequately compensate the teacher for the time taken to purchase the books. In other words, no teacher is supplementing their income by any more than a cup or two of coffee a month through supplying books.

Further, teachers risk not selling books that they have purchased in advance, and I would estimate that the 10% discount is completely eroded through the cost of keeping books in stock and possibly never selling them at all.

But there are benefits to teachers supplying books, such as not having to wait for materials to become available (parents might take a week to get to the music shop and then discover the books need to be ordered in, resulting in a three or four week delay), and having the exact right book purchased (instead of one that looks the same but isn't!).

I supply books to my students and charge for books separately to lessons, but I must say the ideas raised in this thread are making me consider moving to a different business model!

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
keystring #1918706 06/25/12 10:57 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by keystring

Our problem is that the parents quibble about whether they *really* need this repertoire book or that theory book (they only want the bare necessities, and sometimes not even that) and that even when they are happy to purchase all the required items they often take weeks ... or months to get them.

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
Elissa Milne #1918709 06/25/12 11:00 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
Any teacher discount is usually 10% at best, and even across books for a number of students this discount probably does not adequately compensate the teacher for the time taken to purchase the books. In other words, no teacher is supplementing their income by any more than a cup or two of coffee a month through supplying books.

Further, teachers risk not selling books that they have purchased in advance, and I would estimate that the 10% discount is completely eroded through the cost of keeping books in stock and possibly never selling them at all.

But there are benefits to teachers supplying books, such as not having to wait for materials to become available (parents might take a week to get to the music shop and then discover the books need to be ordered in, resulting in a three or four week delay), and having the exact right book purchased (instead of one that looks the same but isn't!).

I supply books to my students and charge for books separately to lessons, but I must say the ideas raised in this thread are making me consider moving to a different business model!

Thanks for this Elissa, it's made me feel much better about our approach (the same as yours). I definitely agree that it's fair for teachers to have some small compensation for the time spent purchasing books (and the risk of not selling them at all).

P.S. Even when I have photocpied the covers of the required books I still sometimes get students turning up with e.g. the old Alfred series vs Alfred Premier Piano. Argh!

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
Barb860 #1918749 06/26/12 02:29 AM
M
M
I buy all my music online because I live in Switzerland, and the cost of music here is much higher than in most places. And because I want method books in English that aren't available here anyway, I buy everything for my students. I then either invoice them separately or add the books to tuition invoices.

But then I don't charge a monthly tuition because that's just not the way it's done here.

Teaching piano in English in Switzerland!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,023
Posts3,026,772
Members99,361
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission