2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 79 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 78 79
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I thought this would be a good time to reveal the Key to the 3 A/B temperament comparisons.

Thanks to all who chimed in. smile

All 3 selections were 1. ET, 2. EBVT III.

Next week, Bill Bremmer, Patrick Wingren (pppat) and Gregg Punswick will be at my home to further explore EBVT III and ET. Doel Kees is also planing to stop buy. We should end up with some excellent recordings. Stay tuned! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
GPM,

Thanks for posting what you have posted. Not only in the songs which I liked to listen too but in the 3 selections that were posted. I decided not to post any more guesses because I figured I was being copied because I knew which were which but, I did appreciate the listen very much!

Bill Bremmer will also be coming over to my house at the middle of August for a weekend stay. I decided that I would like to learn the EBVT III method myself so I have a choice of either or - and that the best way to do this seeing as how I've been strictly an ET man for 42 years, is first hand experience with Bill so, we'll be working one on one at that time which will be good for me. I very much look forward to it. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. We must always be open, IMO, to new things. It is when we close our minds, we become 'old.'

Bill explained to me one time that ET tuners some of us anyway, I fit in this category, tend to be the hardest to teach. The reason being, we have been tuning one way for so many years that when our ears hear a new method, our ears immediately tell us "THAT ISN'T RIGHT!" Of course, our ears want to "put it back." Correcting it back, into ET again where we are accustomed to hearing things.

The difference between ET and EBVT III in the recordings to me, were evident but yet, not so harsh that it was a horrible listen and also as some techs mentioned, sometimes, difficult to distinguish between the two.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do all of this GPM. I found it to be quite interesting.

Jer

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman

All 3 selections were 1. ET, 2. EBVT III.

Interesting. The only case where there was a very clear difference to me I preferred ET. I did not expect that!

Kees

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by RonTuner
Check out www.rollingball.com for graphical representations of the EBVT series, as well as a bunch of other alternate temperaments. Ask back if they don't make any sense - I know it took a bunch of time for me to understand!

Ron Koval
chicagoland

Is there something more 'textual' ? I couldn't interpret the various graphs.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[Crosspost from "Introductory Understanding of EBVT ?"]

Dear Cashley,

Bill Bremmer posted this in the Pianist Corner thread Listening Exercise: ET vs EBVT III (5/10):

Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
[...]
There are many misconceptions that people in general have about a piano being tuned in a non-equal temperament. The first thing they may imagine is some bizarre, wild sounding, micro-tonal, "experimental" tuning that would surely be found to be unacceptable. Those ideas do exist and they have their place but not for general modern piano tuning for which all music that is commonly played will work.

ET is really only a theory. It is ultimately impossible. Now, of course, when all intervals are tempered so that they sound alike to a well trained ear, that is accepted as ET. It is what virtually all piano technicians are taught and trained to do.

However, what someone is taught to do and what their interpretation of it may be can easily differ, sometimes quite radically. I have been a piano technician for 41 years, so I have heard just about everything imaginable. I have served the Piano Technicians Guild as one of its tuning examiners now for a good 20 years, so I have seen and heard the best, I have seen and heard mediocre attempts and I have seen and heard what in no way could be called or accepted as ET offered, produced and consumed with the belief and understanding that it is ET, the way all pianos are tuned.

Today, there are several ETDs that can provide for a fairly excellent tuning by a person with limited skills. Grandpianoman was a good example of that. Before these devices were in widespread use, however, what any aural tuner may have done covered a fairly broad spectrum. Only the very best aural tuners really tuned what today would be accepted as a broadcast quality tuning in ET. The rest would best be described as our local symphony conductor put it, "kinda, sorta, pretty even". Not really ET but an approximation of it close enough that you could not really distinguish one key from the other.

About 25 years ago, I first became aware that there could be other possibilities besides ET. There were 17th and 18th Century temperaments that were at that time used on organs, harpsichords and fortepianos. If one wanted to more authentically replicate a sound that was heard during that period, one would use such a system. I believed at that time what most people believe today, the modern piano is only to be tuned in ET. Yes, it changes the way the early music sounds but we like it that way anyway. We can also play any modern music too and we could not if we had some other kind of tuning.

The idea, however that each of the twenty four major and minor keys could still retain a distinct character interested me and I pursued it. Ultimately, the EBVT III that you hear in these examples is curiously identical to what Johann George Neidhardt came up with in 1724. Late in life, he like others (Rameau, Werkmeister, Mersenne and Marpurg) philosophized about a tuning system where all keys would be useful. They didn't have a way of constructing ET like we do today. They just wanted everything to be "kinda, sorta, pretty even".

I knew nothing about Neidhardt's "Circulating Temperament #2" but when the late Professor Owen Jorgensen RPT saw and analyzed my idea, he said it was virtually identical to the idea Neidhardt had 283 years ago. It was an attempt to have all keys accessible and acceptable but to still retain at least some distinction from one key to the next.

It is a Well Tempered idea. That means that the key of C Major sounds the most quiet and harmonious. With the addition of each sharp or flat in the key signature, the key tonality gains energy. This is principally found in how fast the Major Third beats.

Most people today would find the pure or beatless Major Third of the ancient (1/4 Comma) Meantone Temperament to sound "dead" or "flat", lacking resonance. Even if that were to be found appealing, the consequence of "spending it all in one place" is to have completely dissonant intervals elsewhere.

The idea behind true ET is to mitigate all dissonance which it does but the consequence of that is to also deprive all consonance. So, knowing that there was at least some margin of deviation from ET that almost anyone would find acceptable, I strove to create a well temperament that would retain some consonance but also limit the amount of dissonance to what would be found to be acceptable to contemporary perception.

I did it all by ear. I am a life long musician. I know what sounds in tune and what does not. I first designed the original EBVT in 1992 and had years of success with it. Still, some people, some times said there was still some harshness in it that was a little hard to take. Therefore, I set about to mitigate the EBVT further. The EBVT II was presented at the PTG convention in 2006 and found a large degree of acceptance. I found a way to mitigate it further the next year in 2007. The EBVT II is therefore now obsolete. I now tune almost every piano in the EBVT III.

I don't expect everyone to say upon comparisons that they prefer the EBVT III over ET but it clearly seems that most people do. Some people may be so accustomed to the sound of ET that virtually any departure from it rubs them the wrong way. I accept that.

All music has consonance and dissonance, even the earliest music. It is what leads our experience through a composition. To play nothing but consonant harmonies would lead us nowhere and would thus be unsatisfying. What the EBVT III provides is just a little more distinction between consonance and dissonance than what ET could provide. More tension, more release. Hopefully, that means a more satisfying musical experience.

So, if you do hear more dissonance at times than what you are accustomed to hearing, it is meant to be there and serves a purpose. It is often made analogous to salt or other spices in food. Some people do not want any at all, others can't get enough. If you hear more dissonance however, do you not also hear more consonance? Some people may say they like the extra consonance but still can't tolerate the extra dissonance, so they insist on the preference for the neutrality of ET. That is well understood.

Many people cannot distinguish the EBVT III from ET at all. Even I can't at times, depending upon the context. It is, in fact, only slightly different. I get seemingly contradictory remarks however from many skilled pianists. They describe the EBVT III as "smooth" but in reality, it is "rough" compared to ET. They describe the way I tune the outer octaves as "pure" even though they are deliberately "impure". Tuning is one action, the way the tuning serves the music can and does create illusions.

The EBVT III can be tuned by anyone who has aural tuning skills. It is usually said that it is actually easier to effect than ET. I don't have on my website yet a detailed description of how to aurally tune the octaves but I do have in my files some material that would be helpful. I have yet to edit that material for the general public. I can send what I have now to anyone who would be interested by e-mail. The address is: billbrpt@charter.net

There is also a way to use the electronic tuning figures with an ETD and to aurally manipulate the octaves or use the ETD in the direct interval mode. It is not difficult but it does have to be described.

There have been a few participants in the technicians forum who have learned to aurally tune the EBVT III and have embraced it. If I could only play for you the phone messages left for me by Grandpianoman after he tuned the EBVT III and began playing recordings on his player piano, those would be the best advertising I could ever have. He was quite enthused!

I would just finish by saying that the reason I tune nearly every piano in the EBVT III is that virtually all of my piano tuning clients love the way their piano sounds after I have tuned it. My clients range from limited skills to professional artists.

The description by Andy of what the artist, Michael Kasehammer seemed to enjoy is very often enjoyed by my clients of all levels of skill. I can well imagine what Mr. Kasehammer may often be presented for one of his concerts. He found that evening something that was above and beyond the usual and he made every use of what he found. I am glad he enjoyed it so much. That is what keeps me interested in piano tuning as a profession.

Also, you may be able to glean some things from these threads:

Learning EBVT III - First Attempt (12/09)

Historical ET and Modern ETs (1/10)

What is Reverse Well? (2/10)

and, from way back in 11/04 Equal Temperament by Ear (from FAQ)

These may not be the best references, but they might get you started...

Hope this helps!

--Andy Strong

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/23/10 05:59 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[Crosspost from "Introductory Understanding of EBVT?"]

And, Cashley,
By way of summary, in answer to your question, here is a reduction, "edited" from Bill's quote above (I probably should have offered this first... grin ):

Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
[...]The idea behind true ET is to mitigate all dissonance which it does but the consequence of that is to also deprive all consonance. So, knowing that there was at least some margin of deviation from ET that almost anyone would find acceptable, I strove to create a well temperament that would retain some consonance but also limit the amount of dissonance to what would be found to be acceptable to contemporary perception.

[...]I first designed the original EBVT in 1992 and had years of success with it. Still, some people, some times said there was still some harshness in it that was a little hard to take. Therefore, I set about to mitigate the EBVT further. The EBVT II was presented at the PTG convention in 2006 and found a large degree of acceptance. I found a way to mitigate it further the next year in 2007. The EBVT II is therefore now obsolete. I now tune almost every piano in the EBVT III.

[...]All music has consonance and dissonance, even the earliest music. It is what leads our experience through a composition. To play nothing but consonant harmonies would lead us nowhere and would thus be unsatisfying. What the EBVT III provides is just a little more distinction between consonance and dissonance than what ET could provide. More tension, more release. Hopefully, that means a more satisfying musical experience.

[...]Many people cannot distinguish the EBVT III from ET at all. Even I can't at times, depending upon the context. It is, in fact, only slightly different. I get seemingly contradictory remarks however from many skilled pianists. They describe the EBVT III as "smooth" but in reality, it is "rough" compared to ET. They describe the way I tune the outer octaves as "pure" even though they are deliberately "impure". Tuning is one action, the way the tuning serves the music can and does create illusions. [...]

I think from here on, instead of crossposting, perhaps we could go back to the "My Piano In EBVT III" thread for the sake of continuity. Your first post there was a good place for it, and I'm sure you will get plenty more help there as people find time to post. I'm sorry it took so long for you to get a workable answer. frown

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Not sure you're Cinnamonbear or Andy Strong, but I'm extremely grateful to you smile

BTW, can anyone tell how the word "Werckmeister" is pronounced ? Work-Master ? Wark-Maze-ster ?

Last edited by Cashley; 06/24/10 12:55 AM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Vairk-my-stair

Last edited by BDB; 06/24/10 01:36 AM. Reason: Improvement

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
That's good BDB...was just about to type the same thing.

You're welcome Jerry. That's fantastic that Bill is coming over to show you his EBVT III.

I just recently found out that Roy Peters (RoyP) www.cincypiano.com has been using EBVT I for his customers for a number of years. I think the more techs that hear it and then try it, the more they will include it in their bag of tuning tools. smile There is another tech here on PW that has also been using EBVT III for years.

B
B
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
That's good BDB...was just about to type the same thing.

You're welcome Jerry. That's fantastic that Bill is coming over to show you his EBVT III.

I just recently found out that Roy Peters (RoyP) www.cincypiano.com has been using EBVT I for his customers for a number of years. I think the more techs that hear it and then try it, the more they will include it in their bag of tuning tools. smile There is another tech here on PW that has also been using EBVT III for years.

Hi GP,

Still interesting that Roy Peters music in the background of his homepage sounds very similar like the ET tuning style i am using (based on pure duodecimes aka pure twelfths or octave and fifth www.piano-stopper.de/dl/PTG2008_StopperTemperament.pdf ), not like EBVT.

I quote from his website:
"Most often I am trying to match pure twelfths, or an octave and a fifth. However, I can tune in many different styles, and am happy to accommodate preferences. I offer the Equal Beating Victorian Temperment as a Well Temperment."

Regards,

Bernhard Stopper

Last edited by Bernhard Stopper; 06/24/10 08:51 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hello Bernard,

What you are hearing on Roy Peter's website is my piano tuned in ET. One of those pieces could very well be your Stopper tuning...I don't remember what Roy used. It also definitely includes the RCT, OCT 5. Maybe he can shed some light on that. I never said that the music on his website was EBVT I or III. smile

It's great that he offers both ET and EBVT. Perhaps as more techs hear EBVT III and learn how to tune it, they can also offer it their customers.

I fully expect Bill and Patrick to tame my 5th and 6th octaves, and obtain good unisons, then I think we will have an excellent "broadcast" quality EBVT III and ET tuning to let people hear.

Bernard, I don't know if we will have the time to include your Stopper tuning when Bill is here. If not, since I have your software, I can certainly try it when I have the time to perfect/stabilize it on my piano.

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 06/25/10 12:23 AM.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BDB
Vairk-my-stair

Wow...thanks !

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just got the news that Patrick Wingren (pppat) passed his written PTG exam at the PTG convention, with flying colors, despite the language barrier...and he ACED the tuning exam using Bill Bremmer's methods....so he can now qualify to train as a tuning examiner! WTG Patrick!!

I will be picking both Bill and Patrick up at the Portland airport tonight for the start of our "Tune-a-Thon" wink for Thurs, Fri, and Sat ...Gregg comes in on Thurs...and I hope Kees wil be stopping by at some point........stay tuned! smile

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 06/30/10 03:35 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go Patrick! Have fun with GPM. Should be interesting and fun besides! Don't drink to much! :-)

Jer

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Congratulations, Patrick! Most excellent news.

Look forward to listening to the results of the tune-a-thon!

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Patrick,

From reading your posts, I had no doubt you would accomplish whatever you set your mind to.

Congratulations!

-Joe

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I met both Bill and Patrick there. Patrick is in my opinion not only a great tuner and pianist but a great guy. Bill Bremmer is also a kind, courteous, and generous guy. My view of him is more clear now. I truly believe that he wants and enjoys helping people to become better tuners. His class was excellent and it helped me a lot. I want to take the test now!.....after some more practice. We all shook hands and it was an honor to meet them both.

Congrats again Patrick.

Tuner-Technician

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
GPM, Jerry, Glen, Joe, Byron - thanks!

Jerry: There is no way a Finn can drink too much grin

Byron: It was great meeting you IRL! I like exams, because they a) get you to practice towards taking them, thus forces you in a good way to put time into learning, b) gives you an as unbiased reference of your abilities as you can possibly get.

Of these, "a" would - in any setting - be the most important one. Then "b" becomes a logical result of the time devoted.

I am sure you will find your own best way of approaching the exam, and do great! If there is anything you need to know about the actual exam - including every aspect of what it feels like when the clock is ticking and your temperament is upside down smile - I'd be glad to help out.

Last edited by pppat; 07/01/10 11:26 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I'd like to know, Patrick...PM me when you have a moment. Again, Congratulations! thumb

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
A
A
Congratulations Patrick!!!!

Andrew

Andrew Ranger
Piano Technician
Page 43 of 79 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 78 79

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission