2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (accordeur, Alex Hutor, Andrew E., Beemer, Animisha, brennbaer, ando, bimzdbear, 14 invisible), 621 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1905512 05/30/12 10:47 AM
J
OP Offline
J
When I was in the infants over 40 years ago,we sang a song that the teacher played piano to.It's about a kid lieing in bed with Rover,the dog, and the kid is scared of the noises he can hear outside his bedroom door, but he's reassurred by Rover because 'he'll know when to bark!'
Its played and sang very softly until the 'bark' bit when it becomes loud and the keys crash down.
I've been searching for it for years to no avail.I've tracked down former school teachers, sunday school teachers and have even been in music shops and sang it! I was running out of ideas when I thought of music teachers forums. And I came across this one.(I posted it in another forum at first then was advised to try it in this one.)
I can just about recall the tune but most of the words escape my memory. Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Janet.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
OP Offline
J
Just bringing this back to the more prominent page one. Such is my desperation.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Can you remember any of the words to the song? If you place them in quotes, in a search engine such as Google, if someone has posted the verse on line, it should pop up. Good luck in your search.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I've tried that, all I come up with is Pianoworld.

These seem to be the words. It sounds very intriguing but I don't know this one.

Footsteps on the landing, creeping to and fro, who is out there prowling, I should like to know, not that I am frightened, frightened of the dark, cos Rover sleeps beside me, and he'll know when to bark!

gotta go practice
J
OP Offline
J
Hi,Tim.Hi,John.

And thank you both for replying

Yup, them's the words alright. Did you get them from a site called 'Answer me'? It was discovered by a freind of mine who has been helping me look and although the girl who posted it, 'Cazz', didn't acknowledge my post,it was encouraging to realise the song wasn't just known in my locality. The downside to that,though,it's made the search more frustrating 'cos I know that two others are having about as much luck as me!

Thanks again.

Janet.

Last edited by Janet1960; 06/15/12 02:57 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If this was a song you sang at church, you might try adding information about your denomination and/or location. Did your church publish a children's song book?

Learner
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by malkin
If this was a song you sang at church, you might try adding information about your denomination and/or location. Did your church publish a children's song book?

That's what I was thinking too. I've tried googling many combinations of these words as titles, and looked in nursery rhymes, poetry, children's songs, etc.

It's too polished to be just a local version. Maybe if we knew it was a German folk story, or a Moravian hymn, or a WWI comic book, etc. Maybe if we knew the year you heard it and another song or two that you heard at the same time?

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the town where you lived still has a local library, you could give the librarian a call.

Learner
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
If the words aren't helping us yet, maybe you could post the tune? One of us might recognize it.

gotta go practice
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Tim, hi,Malkin.

I live in the north-east of England.I'm certain we sang it in the infants school because there were boys singing it - they really enjoyed the loud bits!- and after infants,which was mixed-sex,the school split up into two, one for boys and the other, girls. That gives me a date of about '65/'66 up until mid '67, which was when I started junior school.

I recently re-encountered 'Miss Dixon' who was a teacher in the juniors and she also was a Girl Guide leader and sunday school teacher, but she couldn't remember it, nor could the other teachers she's kept in touch with.

I can't read music but I found some sheet music on Amazon that looked like it could've been it and one of these other teachers kindly played it for me but I didn't recognise it as the tune. Whereas the teacher playing it hadn't heard it at all before! As these are junior school teachers, it's made me even more certain it was earlier than '67,hence 65/66. Unfortunatly, the infant teachers appear uncontactable.

I'm certain the tune in my head is the correct one. However,if I tried to put it on here,it'd only be as

'de da de da dee daa
de da de da dee'

etc!

Thanks for your interest and your suggestions.They've boosted my determination.

Janet.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have been trying to find it, too.

Your, 'De da' etc., sounds a bit like the 'Incy wincy Spider' tune...

Rob
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Rob,
thanks for joining in.

It's not Incy Wincy though.

It's sort of one syllabyl to one note at a time,slow, deliberate and yet softly. It actually sounds a bit creepy in itself, never mind with the words added.

Foot steps on the lan ding
de da de da dee da

Cree ping to and fro
de da de da dee

I should've paid more attention during recorder class!

Thanks, from a giggling Janet.

R
R
Woman on ‘phone: I was wondering if you would play a request for me at your concert tonight?
Victor Borge: I don’t usually do requests but if you tell me what you wanted to hear I might be able to help.
Woman: Well, actually I can’t remember the name of it.
Victor Borge: Well, maybe if you sang a little bit of it, I may recognise it.
Woman: Well actually I can’t remember how it goes either, but you are the musician.
Victor Borge: I am sorry Madam but it doesn’t look as though I will be able to oblige you tonight.
Woman: Well it doesn’t really matter as I am not going to be able to go tonight anyway.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist posting this excerpt from a Victor Borge concert . I realise it doesn’t help much.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Janet1960

I'm certain the tune in my head is the correct one. However,if I tried to put it on here,it'd only be as

'de da de da dee daa
de da de da dee'

etc!

Thanks for your interest and your suggestions.They've boosted my determination.

Janet.

If you hummed it or sang it on la la, or even de da, and saved the file on something like boxnet, it would be a trivial matter for any of us to transcribe it into sheet music.

I correspond with a musician from England, I'll ask her if she recognizes the words.

gotta go practice
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Have you tried asking Mama Lisa at this site?

http://www.mamalisa.com/blog/category/questions/

Learner
J
OP Offline
J
Hello Rono,

thanks for joining in. Was it Victor Borge who read out the phone book, with 'noises' for the punctuation? I saw that sketch many years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. I might try to youtube it, see it again.

Tim, I don't know what boxnet is but my elder dauighter probably does. I'll see her later tonight and I'll ask her help.

Malkin, I'm going to follow your link right now......

J
OP Offline
J
Wow!

That is some site!

I've had a quick look round and even left a comment(awaiting moderation) on a song about a baby falling down the plughole. I've known it for years but never realised it was a tradtional song. I always thought 'my' version was the only version.

Thanks, Malkin. I'll have a good search around later.

Thanks to everyone who's joined in with me on this site, it's the best shot I've had in ages!

Last edited by Janet1960; 06/17/12 09:51 AM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Janet, I've been looking also. I agree with others... if you think you remember the tune, or even close, it would sure help to be able to post it somehow.

What you need to do is make a digital recording somehow... with a digital recorder, with your cell phone, with an ipad, with a video camera, with a webcam on your computer... many options.

You could try to plunk it out on a piano, or you could just sing it or hum it or whistle it or whatever.

Then once you have a recording (in some digital format... .wav file, mp3 file, whatever), we can walk you through how to post it on here.

The odds are very high that as a children's song, the melody is not unique to these words and someone is likely to recognize it.

Best Regards.

"Wide awake, I can make my most fantastic dreams come true..."
- Lorenz Hart
J
OP Offline
J
Hello Leagle Beagle,

and thanks for joining in.

Rono also suggested my doing something like that and it does seem a really good idea.

I have a cell phone, too, which has internet availability,so it should be possible for me to work out how to get my warbling on to here. I say 'possible' because I can't imagine it'll be easy,I'm not a techfreak! But I'm doggedly determined.

Unfortunatley, I've a heavy working week this week - nightshift - but I should have an offering worked out by friday evening/saturday morning.

Watch this space!

Regards to all,

Janet.

J
OP Offline
J
WARNING! WATCHING AND LISTENING TO THE ACCOMPANYING LINK COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR SENSE OF HEARING AND VISION AND COMPROMISE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAp8GT-AzUk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Universal fame and fortune will surely elude me!

Last edited by Janet1960; 06/22/12 11:51 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pratt Reed Grand Piano Action
by Rburt53 - 01/18/22 07:41 AM
Happy birthday, Sam!
by jotur - 01/18/22 06:11 AM
Book Recommendations
by Qazsedcft - 01/18/22 03:53 AM
Novus 5 no "fading effect" after release
by Usheraname - 01/18/22 02:38 AM
Digital pianos - starting time
by JosefPirkl - 01/18/22 01:30 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,202
Posts3,161,733
Members104,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission