Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
61 registered members (Beowulf, CharlesXX, cmb13, Craig Hair, bennevis, Angelos58, Carebear, cathryn999, 14 invisible), 1,209 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boston UP-118S #8467
08/07/08 08:25 PM
08/07/08 08:25 PM
San Jose
BWKRELL Offline OP
BWKRELL  Offline OP

San Jose
Hi
Does anyone know if the Boston UP-118S made in Japan or US or China? Is this a good piano for the money? The saleman said is about $6400.
Thanks a lot

Piano Lover
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Boston UP-118S #8468
08/07/08 09:13 PM
08/07/08 09:13 PM
SoCal
Plowboy Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Plowboy  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

SoCal
According to The Piano Book they are made in Indonesia. I just looked at one a few hours ago, it had a nice sound.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
Re: Boston UP-118S #8469
08/07/08 09:17 PM
08/07/08 09:17 PM
South Florida
BrandonThePianist Offline
BrandonThePianist  Offline

South Florida
Hi, BWKRELL.

While a good instrument, it will come at a premium cost because of Boston's association with Steinway. I've found the highest quality upright in that price area is the Charles Walter 1520, which even the largest sub-$10,000 uprights can have a hard time competing against. Other great options to consider are Hailun, Nordiska, Steigerman Premium, Brodmann, Yamaha and Kawai's uprights (specifically, those ranging from 48 to 52 inches in height). Try out as many of those names as you can, compare them with the Boston, and buy whichever stands out above the rest.

--Brandon

Re: Boston UP-118S #8470
08/07/08 10:09 PM
08/07/08 10:09 PM
West Coast
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Craigen  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

West Coast
Compare the price and performance of the Kawai UST8 model; essentially the same piano made in the same factory. You will likely find it several hundred dollars cheaper.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Re: Boston UP-118S #8471
08/08/08 07:30 AM
08/08/08 07:30 AM
Souderton PA
G
Glenn Grafton Offline
Glenn Grafton  Offline
G

Souderton PA
Compare the price and performance of the Kawai UST8 model; essentially the same piano made in the same factory. You will likely find it several hundred dollars cheaper.
Boston pianos are made 100% by Kawai in the Kawai factory. Both are good pianos.

Some people are willing to pay more for the Boston because of the impression that they're buying a Steinway product. Sort of like if Subaru built a line of cars for Mercedes.

The UST-9 has the advantage of the Millenium III action — better control on soft passages, faster repetition and more stable regulation.

Take the time to compare the UST-9.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page
Re: Boston UP-118S #8472
08/08/08 01:21 PM
08/08/08 01:21 PM
A
asd123321 Offline
500 Post Club Member
asd123321  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

That sounds more like a list price not a discount price.

Re: Boston UP-118S #8473
08/09/08 07:52 PM
08/09/08 07:52 PM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

The Boston 118 has NOT done at all well in Philly area schools. West Chester U. and Temple U. bought some. The techs. at both schools are unhappy with the way they are holding up.

Parts supply was quite a problem for several of the Boston uprts. at Temple. This is surprising because the parts needed were not unusual requests - Food for thought.

There are a host of options in this price range. IMHO, if you need to stick with a Boston piano, jump up a model or two to Japanese made product. If you are more comfortable in this price range, look at some other options. As a good guide, pick up or download "The Piano Book 2008- 09 supplement".

Good luck and keep us posted,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Boston UP-118S #8474
08/10/08 01:03 PM
08/10/08 01:03 PM
Southern United States
Pianomadam Offline
Pianomadam  Offline

Southern United States
Hello Bwkrell.

Welcome to the forums. Regarding your question, the Steinway-designed Boston 118S is made in Indonesia by Kawai. Kawai has 2 plants, one in Japan and one in Indonesia. According to KawaiDon, one of the posters on this forum, and a lifelong Kawai technician, both the Indonesian made and Japanese made pianos from Kawai are identical in fit, finish, and quality, all things being equal.

A quick search on Steinway & Sons website will reveal how many top-tier famed music schools are all-Steinway schools, a designation which means that the school has purchased Steinway & Boston (and occasionally Essex) pianos for their students. Whom is a better judge for what pianos perform well than the most prestigious music schools across the country??

Then, do a search of how many churches and institutions across the country have a Boston piano. You'll be impressed.

Regarding the comments from a few of my esteemed colleagues and/or piano enthusiasts and/or technicians.

FROM BRANDONTHEPIANIST:

"While a good instrument, it will come at a premium cost because of Boston's association with Steinway"

--upon what are you basing this opinion? Seems like quite a blanket statement without much to back it up. If you look at the premium quality of the parts in the piano, it makes sense that they are charging what they are charging.

FROM CRAIGEN:

"Compare the price and performance of the Kawai UST8 model; essentially the same piano made in the same factory. You will likely find it several hundred dollars cheaper"

---WOW! A surprising statement from a piano technician. I guess I've over-estimated your abilities, Craigen. There are so many differences between those two pianos that I do not even know where to begin???? Does the UST-8C have a tapered sitka spruce soundboard? Are the actions parts made of premium quality hard rock maple? Are pear-shaped hammers to be found in the UST-8C? How about the staggered backposts? Low-tension scale design? etc.....C'mon, Craigen...your intent to mislead is deplorable!

FROM GLENN GRAFTON:

"Some people are willing to pay more for the Boston because of the impression that they're buying a Steinway product"

---Or, based upon their own ability to sense a difference. Do you really have to assume Boston buyers are idiots and are simply slaves to an association? If you are saying this you are saying this to Julliard, Yale School of Music, Berklee School of Music, etc....

FROM RICH GALASSINI:

"The Boston 118 has NOT done at all well in Philly area schools. West Chester U. and Temple U. bought some. The techs. at both schools are unhappy with the way they are holding up"

---I'm not going to challenge this assertion from you Rich as I've always respected you, minus your sometimes biased remarks against Steinway & Sons, your competitor smile . I will say, though, that this is surprising as both my customers whom have bought this piano from me and local schools that carry the piano have not had similar issues, at least not on an ongoing basis.

PianoMadam

Family of Steinway-Designed Pianos (Steinway & Sons, Boston, Essex) Dealer
Re: Boston UP-118S #8475
08/10/08 04:50 PM
08/10/08 04:50 PM
USA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Bob  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B

USA
I have 21 Boston 118's at the university and 30 months in they are doing well. A few minor issues, (to be expected) but nothing major. Tone and touch are very nice. The cabinets should be sturdier, but we don't move them around, so they work for us.

Re: Boston UP-118S #8476
08/11/08 07:49 AM
08/11/08 07:49 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

pianomadam said:
FROM RICH GALASSINI:

"The Boston 118 has NOT done at all well in Philly area schools. West Chester U. and Temple U. bought some. The techs. at both schools are unhappy with the way they are holding up"

Im not going to challenge this assertion from you Rich as I've always respected you, minus your sometimes biased remarks against Steinway & Sons, your competitor . I will say, though, that this is surprising as both my customers whom have bought this piano from me and local schools that carry the piano have not had similar issues, at least not on an ongoing basis.

I should probably be more specific. This information comes directly from technicians who work on these pianos:

1) More than one Boston 118 has had the bottom board broken. This is because "they look like they are made from layers of cardboard". That is a quote of the tech. This also echoes Bob's previous posts on the pianos construction.

2) Jack felts had fallen off before the pianos arrived.

3) Many action screws were already loose before arrival.

4) Many pedal issues. (particularly recurring squeaking)

5) Pianos needed regulation almost immediately.

None of these things make the Boston a "bad piano", and most are correctable by a technician, but all of these things are common in inexpensive consumer grade instruments, not for an artistic grade piano. They are signs that little to no attention is given to the instruments after assembly and before shipping.

I understand that most universities focus on the more important grand piano purchases and these less expensive pianos are usually an afterthought. If Steinway bundles them into a large proposal which includes very good pricing for Steinway grands, it is an easy decision. They certainly are not examined closely in this situation.

My point is that with a retail of almost 7k, there are lots of great pianos out there to choose from. While I respect the right of anyone to choose this model, please do so because you really enjoy the instrument and not because of any inferred quality by a connection with another manufacturing facility. I would urge anyone to keep an open mind and consider other options as well. There are many available that I prefer from a construction and musical standpoint.

Also, have the piano examined to be sure that you as the consumer do not have to pay for these remedial repairs after you make a substantial purchase like this.

I hope that was clearer,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Boston UP-118S [Re: BWKRELL] #1915316
06/18/12 02:23 PM
06/18/12 02:23 PM
K
Kevin_Organist Offline
Kevin_Organist  Offline
K

Greetings!

I just rented a Boston UP-118s PE (UP = UpRight; PE = Performance Edition) piano from the Steinway dealer in Pasadena, CA (one of only a very few Steinway owned showrooms). I am a professional musician with a master's degree in organ performance from one of the world's leading music schools, so you know my standards are high.

First, I have to say that Steinway made some very good decisions with having both the Boston and Essex lines. While I did not care for the Essex pianos I tried out, it is an excellent way to become a part of the Steinway family at a lower cost, and they are decent entry level pianos. Insofar as Boston pianos are concerned, they rock!

So here is what I have to say about this upright. First, my family and I are living in an apartment in Santa Barbara, which is a high rent area, so we don't have space for a grand piano. We do have space for an upright. While this piano normally sells for $7300, we are paying $78 per month - it is totally worth it!

First, the tone quality and sensitivity easily rival that of a grand. It isn't a grand piano, but it comes awfully close! I would rather have this than an inferior grand. I looked on the inside, and wow! They really thought things out well! As an engineer, you can't fool me, and this instrument exceeds my expectations!

The best part is that the tone quality on this piano is such that you WANT to play it. Imagine - an instrument that makes you WANT to play. My daughter, at age 10, has been doing very well with piano lessons and is passionate about piano and violin. As a professional musician, I am very proud, but I would certainly not want to force my children into music (she was interested in violin since she was 4, and then she got interested in piano at age 9). Also, keep in mind that this piano is built for institutional use to be played all day every day, and so it makes an ideal piano at home.

There is less tension on the strings in this piano than you would normally have, so the sound lasts longer.

The best part is you can't go wrong - if in the next 10 years my daughter outgrows this piano (we have the option to buy it), then we are credited the purchase price to move up to a Steinway grand. I even saw a business magazine article online touting the excellent investment of a Steinway piano - these pianos appreciate in a way that houses used to.

I have to say that Steinway has adopted an excellent business model - they have the right piano for every budget and for every level of musicianship.

Another thing about this piano: I played it for a friend of mine who was very pleased with the dynamic range - you can play very quietly or quite loud.

Finally, my children got to hear and try out different pianos in a music store one time, and both of them, ages 6 and 10, stated that they much prefer acoustic pianos over digital pianos. (Of course, if one needs a digital piano, there are some excellent instruments out there - we have one that we will keep in case we want to practice late at night with headphones.)

The Boston UP-118S PE - it rocks! If room is still an issue, our trade-up might be to a Steinway upright - it rocks even more (although it costs more than 3 times as much - individually handcrafted).

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
Kawai CA87 key action noise in comparison
by Carebear. 11/19/18 02:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,423
Posts2,762,776
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission