2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Bill McKaig,RPT, ABull, 1957, aphexdisklavier, bilb, 24000rpm, CharlesXX, Animisha, 9 invisible), 474 guests, and 401 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Just because you catch a fish, doesn't mean the temptation isn't there to try and catch a bigger one.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I started out with an antique Brödrene Hals, and every piano I played, sounded better than mine. I was desperately longing for something newer. Then, after 15 years, I got myself a brand new Yamaha U1, and now rather few pianos sounded better than mine. After 16 years, I upgraded to a grand, a Knabe from 1923. It was lovely, but still, quite a few grands sounded better. After 15 more years, I got my Estonia 168, and so far, no other piano that size has sounded better to me. I am finally satisfied.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes...

There is no such thing as they perfect piano!

Stay on this forum long enough and read enough and you will find issues with your piano that you didn't even know before smile

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I think most pianos would make terrible boats. Now boat anchors? That's another story.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I am well past the point in my life where name, finish, style,price etc impress me at all.

I have played very expensive pianos that did not ring my bell at all. In fact, the worst piano I ever plated (IMHO) was a very expensive, brand new, German piano, it hurt my ears. This, of course, is not counting the old, beatup, mouse infested pianos I've encountered over the years.

I am totally and completely happy and content with my 1961 Yamaha G7, I love it, the bass, mid range and treble still sends shivvers up my spine, I can play it for hours without getting tired, it's part of me and I love it.

I have no desire for a new piano.

However, I've had several boats over the years and never encountered the 'perfect' one.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
OP Offline
T
Roger, I like your ideas. I have had a digital for many years, and it always sounded rich and was able to record and play performances, but my "new to me" G7 makes me giddy. I won't even sit down to play without washing my hands!
BTW, tho only type of boat I would be interested would cost about $60,000 per year to keep moored. That's not gonna happen.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
I am well past the point in my life where name, finish, style,price etc impress me at all.

I have played very expensive pianos that did not ring my bell at all. In fact, the worst piano I ever plated (IMHO) was a very expensive, brand new, German piano, it hurt my ears. This, of course, is not counting the old, beatup, mouse infested pianos I've encountered over the years.

I am totally and completely happy and content with my 1961 Yamaha G7, I love it, the bass, mid range and treble still sends shivvers up my spine, I can play it for hours without getting tired, it's part of me and I love it.

I have no desire for a new piano.

Roger--you're lucky. Good for you!

On a separate note, I too have found one particular German make has never appealed to me even though it's always highly rated (as they all are) and much loved and respected by most others. Part of the equation therefore seems to be subjective, and since we're the ones playing and paying for the instrument, I guess that subjective part of the equation is important and not to be ignored.

K
K
You guys... the grass is always greener yadda yadda... I can't even imagine how it would be to have TWO pianos, let alone ONE grand.... ;-) Perhaps you don't know how lucky you are - you should be happy.

I'm just soooo over the moon to (soon) own _one_ piano again, after not having one for over 10 years. Sure, one can dream (and yes that Steinway concert grand I once had the privilege of playing on was something else... ) but I can't wait to have my "quite decent mid-market upright" in a month so I can PLAY again!!

Originally Posted by Pianolance
I think most pianos would make terrible boats. Now boat anchors? That's another story.

:-D

T
OP Offline
T
I have always believed that no one should get everything they want all at once. Part of living is dreaming about the future wanted posessions. If your first car is a Maybach, where do you go from there? AND KCharalambous, I think you just gave a bunch of us a reality check! Thanks.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
M
M
Originally Posted by thetandyman
Do you wish you didn't have this obsession?

I don't... I found my perfect piano.

(Me thinks you should've stayed away from "vintage Yamaha pianos"...)

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
T
OP Offline
T
mahermusic, That's a peculiar comment about "vintage Yamaha pianos" Don't you judge a piano on it's condition and playability? My piano was a one owner, made for the North American market unit. It pleases me no end, and while not a virtuoso, I'm not completely ingorant in musical instruments. What is your thought pattern here?

M
M
Originally Posted by thetandyman
What is your thought pattern here?

...that you keep purchasing pianos without having found... "the one". Don't settle... search.

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal
J
J_D Offline
J
Some people have a building full of pristine cars. If I ever win a lotto or get filthy rich, I would want a huge room full of different top of the line pianos!

J.D.
Hailun 178
Originally Posted by J_D
Some people have a building full of pristine cars. If I ever win a lotto or get filthy rich, I would want a huge room full of different top of the line pianos!

I have that. So do you, actually.

It's called a "dealership". They are everywhere, and they indulge people who come in and play their high-end pianos. Costs the price of gas to get there.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,696
Members101,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission