2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (aphexdisklavier, clothearednincompo, drumour, dorfmouse, Alex.G, CyberGene, David B, chrisbell, 9 invisible), 464 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I didn't go through with my upgrade plans last year, I had second thoughts about that Schimmel 7' .

Well, I now have my eyes on another larger piano. The dealer isn't willing to take a trade on my existing piano, though they are willing to put mine in their showroom and say they will not charge any sales commission on it. My main concern is how long it would take to sell and at what price.

My current piano is a Schimmel GP169T, 5'7", bought in 2001, in extremely good condition, regularly tuned every year. It is located in San Jose.

I would really appreciate getting an idea of the market value.

What price would a dealer pay outright to buy it (not on consignment) ?

What about as a private party sale ?

The current equivalent Schimmel is the K169T . I believe it's essentially the same piano as the GP169T with a different name. MSRP is $55k and SMP is $49k. Not that those numbers really mean anything. But it may help determine the value of mine.

If anyone is interested in this piano please PM me.

T
T
Last year I got the exact same model of yours (GP169T also made in 2001) from twin cities area. I paid $11k for the piano and another $2k for things like inspection, air ticket, hotel, long distance moving etc.

This is a extremely limited market. It was hard for me to get a decent piano as a buyer and it was equally hard for the seller. Good luck.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by ttt03
Last year I got the exact same model of yours (GP169T also made in 2001) from twin cities area. I paid $11k for the piano and another $2k for things like inspection, air ticket, hotel, long distance moving etc.

This is a extremely limited market. It was hard for me to get a decent piano as a buyer and it was equally hard for the seller. Good luck.

Wow, that is one low price you got. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine so far ! If this really all it's worth, I will probably never upgrade.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Perhaps because you know something I don't or perhaps because only the Konzert series comes in that size, you're claiming your Schimmel is the equivalent of a new Konzert series piano, except 11 years old. This may be, but it raises the question, when did Schimmel start making the Konzert series?

Larry Fine makes it sound like it was a fairly recent upgrand, the implication being that before Schimmel made the K series their previous instruments were probably not at that level of quality (and perhaps were more like the current Classic series). Maybe some Schimmel dealer can enlighten us about these details.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by jivemutha
Perhaps because you know something I don't or perhaps because only the Konzert series comes in that size, you're claiming your Schimmel is the equivalent of a new Konzert series piano, except 11 years old. This may be, but it raises the question, when did Schimmel start making the Konzert series?

Larry Fine makes it sound like it was a fairly recent upgrand, the implication being that before Schimmel made the K series their previous instruments were probably not at that level of quality (and perhaps were more like the current Classic series). Maybe some Schimmel dealer can enlighten us about these details.

I bought my Schimmel GP169T in December 2002. I don't believe the larger pianos in the Konzert series existed then. I do know for sure the K169T did not exist back then. The GP169T was the current model in late 2002.

When I bought my GP169T, Schimmel's marketing material on their web site included quotes from the French magazine "Le monde la musique" - saying the GP169T had won their "Choc de la musique" award in 2001.

You can see a reference to this at :
http://musiced.about.com/od/musicinstruments/p/schimmelpianos.htm

Quote :
"Recent Awards Won:

1996 to 2001 - Schimmel pianos was honored by top French magazine Choc de la Monde de la Musique for the following models: Model 120 I (1996), SP 182 T (1997), S 125 DN (1999), CC 213 T (2000) and GP 169 T (2001)."

Now, see this current marketing material from Schimmel at :
http://www.schimmel-piano.de/fileadmin/download/DL_K_169_T_E.pdf

It talks about the K169T, even though, that K169T model didn't exist then. Schimmel has rewritten the marketing material, including the piano that won the award, with the new model name, even though that model didn't even exist in 2001 !

Either the piano is really the same except for the name, or if not, this modification of the article is outright fraud on Schimmel's marketing department, as the K169T didn't exist in 2001, and couldn't have won any award then.

J
OP Offline
J
As to a Schimmel dealer's opinion, I will quote this :

http://www.pianoworks.com/Baby-Grand-Pianos/Schimmel-5%277-GP169T-2001.asp

"This model GP169T is the same piano as the current Konzert series model K169T...only the name changed."

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Julien Pierre,

As to give an idea there is a 2001 Schimmel GP 169T - fully checked and prepped - for sale from PianoWorks Atlanta: price is indicated and video included.

Schimmel GP 169T - PianoWorks Atlanta

schwammerl.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by schwammerl
Julien Pierre,

As to give an idea there is a 2001 Schimmel GP 169T - fully checked and prepped - for sale from PianoWorks Atlanta: price is indicated and video included.

Schimmel GP 169T - PianoWorks Atlanta

schwammerl.

Yes, I found the video. I just listed mine for $21k on ebay, a little bit less. Mine is also very well maintained and regularly tuned (several times a year). No prepping is necessary. I have some recordings as well.

http://youtu.be/82GL0YP4Mw4
http://youtu.be/0E2OI7jnSF0
http://youtu.be/cMx00Sp99rQ
http://youtu.be/gXfBHFVmLVc

Last edited by Julien Pierre; 06/15/12 03:56 AM. Reason: added one video
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Good luck! Yes Larry Fine's deprecation table suggests around 55% to 60% of the new price, so that seems to be around $25k.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks !
I will be trying another larger Schimmel this weekend.
If mine doesn't sell I will happily keep it my 169.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
'Sounds like you've definitively proven your instrument is the equivalent of the current K series and not the classic series, which of course is a good thing, as they're terrific pianos to my ear!

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Julien Pierre
As to a Schimmel dealer's opinion, I will quote this :

http://www.pianoworks.com/Baby-Grand-Pianos/Schimmel-5%277-GP169T-2001.asp

"This model GP169T is the same piano as the current Konzert series model K169T...only the name changed."

Yea well a dealer could say the BL-31 is the same as the K-3 today, which it isn't.

I think you should ask Schimmel directly about the GP169T. "Konzert" wasn't just a re-branding.

Edit: but since you probably based your pricing off of PianoWorks I think you're ok.

Last edited by gnuboi; 06/15/12 11:59 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
gnuboi,

I found further info on this very forum about the name change
Looks like it was indeed a renaming in 2009, and Schimmel did it to differentiate from their other lines that are not 100% made in Germany.

"In the process of making the decision, I had the pleasure talking to recently retired Mr. Clarence (Chip) Wise, who directed Schimmel sales in the U.S. Mr. Wise was able to verify that the GP169 model was the same piano as the K169 before Schimmel reorganized their vertical and grand lineups into Classic and Konzert series. The GP169 has all the latest features of the redesign from Schimmel."

See thread below :

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1338281/Schimmel_Konzert_Trilogy_Grand.html

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks. That's interesting. Here's the Piano Buyer info:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/189.html

In the Trilogy II group, Schimmel has married the front-end (keyboard) of its 7' grand to two smaller models: 5' 7" and 6' 3". The smaller models have the same treble scale, keyboard, and action as the 7' grand, so all three have a similar sound and touch. On all Konzert grand models, the case sides are angled slightly to obtain a larger soundboard, and all have tunable front and rear duplex scales for greater tonal color, real ebony sharps, and mineral white keytops to mimic the feel of ivory, among other advanced features.

That's what gave me the impression that Konzert was a redesign.

J
OP Offline
J
I know it was already the case when I bought my 169 that it had the same action as some of their larger pianos, can't recall if it was the 189 or the 213, but apparently they all share the same keyboard.

Not sure about the other changes. I don't know which angles they are talking about. If they are there on mine they must be slight, but I would have to know where exactly to look for. I put a level onto the soundboard and the wood is not perfectly flat and hard to get a reading.
I could not tell for the other details, I am not a piano technician.

P
P
So any Schimmel experts here? Does anyone have info on my 1987 Schimmel 208? It's not a Konzert series piano. I wish I knew more about it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prenex
So any Schimmel experts here? Does anyone have info on my 1987 Schimmel 208? It's not a Konzert series piano. I wish I knew more about it.
The Konzert series was both a change in pianos and a change in marketing to a tiered approach not unlike other brands. A 208 from 1987 would have been their higher-end but the pianos were more modest at the time. The model 182 that followed the 174 was extremely successful and eventually led to other model changes. IMO, the 208 was right to discontinue in favor of models that came in the early 2000's, but the 182 was not. In bringing back the 208, I think it is a good choice if you are looking for a Yamaha C/Kawai RX alternative, but it is clearly driven by pricepoint.

I think of the 208 as an earlier evolution of Schimmel. At the time it represented their best, but they got better. It's a very unusual marketing move in the piano business to bring back a retired model.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
P
P
Thanks for the info. Dang, I thought my piano was the bomb but now I find out it's a second rate piano. Ah, whatever, sounds very good to me and my piano tech seems to think it's great as well.

J
OP Offline
J
I played a K280T yesterday at a dealer. I really liked it. My purchase of it is contingent upon the sale of my GP169T.

I have one offer for my GP169T for $16k from a non-local dealer. I think it's a bargain at this price, obviously the dealer can resell it for more - I just don't have a showroom and I don't need 2 pianos in my home. The correct price seems to be closer to $20k - $25k. Mine is in polished ebony whereas the one at Piano Works Atlanta is satin. If anyone is interested in this model, now would be a good time to let me know before it is gone and only available at dealer for more.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
PianoWorks is also providing a 5 year warranty.

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,084,002
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission