Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (ando, akc42, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, accordeur, 90125, AaronSF, AnnInMiami, 31 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
East West Pianos clicks and pops #1911942
06/11/12 01:55 PM
06/11/12 01:55 PM
UK
P
pianojohnw Offline OP
pianojohnw  Offline OP
P

UK
Im having this clicking/pop noise with east west pianos on exported audio and in playback in Cubase 5. Heres an example of the problem its exactly the same sounding problem as I have got when I export audio from east west pianos. http://www.jeffnortham.com/mp3/pops.mp3

How do I get rid of this problem ive tried raising my asio buffer size and this makes no difference at all :-(

Last edited by pianojohnw; 06/11/12 01:57 PM.

I am a self taught piano player who has been playing the piano for 4 years, I love piano and love composing new music :-D
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912065
06/11/12 07:14 PM
06/11/12 07:14 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Online blank
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Online Blank
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
I'll have a listen later, but in the meantime, investigate offline rendering. If you get that to work, you should never experience glitches during export due to performance issues. EWQLP seems to support offline rendering in my DAW (Ableton Live)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 06/11/12 07:15 PM.

Middle-aged Jeremy Clarkson acolyte.
Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912354
06/12/12 11:47 AM
06/12/12 11:47 AM
UK
P
pianojohnw Offline OP
pianojohnw  Offline OP
P

UK
I have tried offline rendering it makes no difference im still getting these clickc in exported audio

I am a self taught piano player who has been playing the piano for 4 years, I love piano and love composing new music :-D
Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912454
06/12/12 04:46 PM
06/12/12 04:46 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
It's strange that you should get pops and clicks in the 'rendered'/exported audio.

I wonder if the issue is actually with the audio playback?

Have you tried loading the exported audio (presumably WAV?) into an audio editor, then zooming into the wave form to check if there are indeed glitches in the audio file? If not, but you can still hear the clicks, I would suggest that the issue is with your computer's audio playback.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912574
06/12/12 10:41 PM
06/12/12 10:41 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Online blank
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Online Blank
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
I can hear the clicks in that recording so the problem is not with the playback.

There have been clicks and other artifacts in the EWQLP samples but I can't remember it ever being that bad. (I mostly use the Bosendorfer and Bechstein though).

Can you hear the same clicking when you just play it live, either inside Cubase, or standalone?

Also, try to come up with the simplest way possible to reproduce the clicks. (e.g, if you can make it click just playing a single note, that would help to narrow it down). Try to determine whether the clicks happen at exactly the same points in each seperate export of the same MIDI recording, too.

There's no obvious sign of clipping (overdriving) in that recording but it could still be something clipping in the signal chain inside Cubase I suppose.

Have you contacted EWQLP support yet?

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 06/12/12 10:43 PM.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: sullivang] #1912582
06/12/12 10:49 PM
06/12/12 10:49 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Kawai James  Online Content

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by sullivang
I can hear the clicks in that recording so the problem is not with the playback.

Okay. I confess that I didn't actually listen to the recording posted above.

Is it possible that the harddrive is being taxed too much - trying to stream samples while also writing the uncompressed (?) WAV to disc at the same time?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912586
06/12/12 10:54 PM
06/12/12 10:54 PM
US
G
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member
gvfarns  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

US
I can hear some quiet pops between 20 and 24 seconds. That's what you are referring to, right? This means it's not his output device. At first I thought it might be clipping because it happens on the loudest notes in that range, but there are plenty of louder ones later that do not click, so I guess that idea's out.

In that range the pops are all associated with the same note, I believe? Perhaps that note has a bum recording for a few velocity layers?

Try and pin down a reproducible way of getting it. Perhaps create a MIDI file that generates pops every time it's rendered and we can maybe find someone else with EWQL to run it through and see if they get the same result.

You didn't say, but I assume you hear similar pops when you are playing live and not saving to disk, right?

Last edited by gvfarns; 06/12/12 10:56 PM.
Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: Kawai James] #1912589
06/12/12 10:59 PM
06/12/12 10:59 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Online blank
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Online Blank
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Is it possible that the harddrive is being taxed too much - trying to stream samples while also writing the uncompressed (?) WAV to disc at the same time?

No, not if the offline rendering is working properly. ;^) Offline rendering produces perfect audio regardless of how the system is performing. (if it's not working for some reason, then yes, that kind of problem could be occurring).

If there's a "real time render" option, try that. This will play back the performance at the normal speed (1X), as if it were simply being recorded whilst playing live. If that works, it could be a sign that the offline render is actually not working "offline". (I don't think I have this option in Live Lite)

Im having this clicking/pop noise with east west pianos on exported audio and in playback in Cubase 5.

Does this mean that if you have your MIDI track in Cubase, and then simply press "play" (using EWQLP for the instrument for that MIDI), you still hear glitches?

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 06/12/12 11:02 PM.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: sullivang] #1912957
06/13/12 03:33 PM
UK
P
pianojohnw Offline OP
pianojohnw  Offline OP
P

UK

There have been clicks and other artifacts in the EWQLP samples but I can't remember it ever being that bad. (I mostly use the Bosendorfer and Bechstein though).

Can you hear the same clicking when you just play it live, either inside Cubase, or standalone?

Also, try to come up with the simplest way possible to reproduce the clicks. (e.g, if you can make it click just playing a single note, that would help to narrow it down). Try to determine whether the clicks happen at exactly the same points in each seperate export of the same MIDI recording, too.

There's no obvious sign of clipping (overdriving) in that recording but it could still be something clipping in the signal chain inside Cubase I suppose.

Have you contacted EWQLP support yet?

Greg.

Hey yes I hear it in playback in cubase ive not really tried it in standalone but will test in abit and report back here, yes ive contacted East West support but there useless and are just not replying to me.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: Kawai James] #1912958
UK
P
pianojohnw Offline OP
pianojohnw  Offline OP
P

UK

Okay. I confess that I didn't actually listen to the recording posted above.

James
x

No I dont think it is the HDD ive tried it on an ssd and an hdd and its doing the same

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: sullivang] #1912960
06/13/12 03:36 PM
06/13/12 03:36 PM
UK
P
pianojohnw Offline OP
pianojohnw  Offline OP
P

UK

No, not if the offline rendering is working properly. ;^) Offline rendering produces perfect audio regardless of how the system is performing. (if it's not working for some reason, then yes, that kind of problem could be occurring).

If there's a "real time render" option, try that. This will play back the performance at the normal speed (1X), as if it were simply being recorded whilst playing live. If that works, it could be a sign that the offline render is actually not working "offline". (I don't think I have this option in Live Lite)

Im having this clicking/pop noise with east west pianos on exported audio and in playback in Cubase 5.

Does this mean that if you have your MIDI track in Cubase, and then simply press "play" (using EWQLP for the instrument for that MIDI), you still hear glitches?

Greg.

Ive tried real time rendering but still get clicks, yes when I have my midi track in cubase and click play I hear these clicks.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912981
06/13/12 04:03 PM
06/13/12 04:03 PM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Those kind of clicks are usually CPU overload in my experience. Try shutting down as many background processes as you can and see if that changes things. Does the East West program have a CPU meter in it somewhere?

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1912997
06/13/12 04:33 PM
06/13/12 04:33 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Online blank
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Online Blank
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Note that if it is CPU overload, that means the offline render isn't actually rendering offline.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1913191
06/13/12 11:17 PM
06/13/12 11:17 PM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by pianojohnw
I have tried offline rendering it makes no difference im still getting these clickc in exported audio

Good chance one or more of the sample files is corrupted. I've have this problem but not so bad. What I did to prove it was to play the file in an audio editor. It was an MP3 file and shue enough there is missing data in the file.

If this is the case then yo get the "pop" every time you play that note at that velocity.

This can't be a real-time data dropout like you would get if you had a to a small buffer.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1913200
06/13/12 11:46 PM
06/13/12 11:46 PM
US
G
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member
gvfarns  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

US
You know, I'm not sure cubase and other vst hosts really do render offline. I've always assumed that because it just seems so reasonable, but I could imagine a software design where the two programs are so separate that a blip in the player (caused by CPU overload) could be picked up and saved by the other.

That's definitely not the way PianoTeq works, but cubase/Kontakt? Not so sure. I'd be interested if someone knows that this is untrue. I guess I could test it by stressing my processor and trying to render at the same time...

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1913212
06/14/12 12:01 AM
06/14/12 12:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Online content
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
At the very least I think you'd want to be monitoring your CPU activity in various situations to determine whether that is an avenue worth pursuing.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1913261
06/14/12 02:14 AM
06/14/12 02:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Online blank
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Online Blank
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Ok, if for some reason offline isn't working, then you should definitely be rendering in real time, and regarding CPU, make sure speed throttling is disabled. Don't just select a "high performance" power profile - actually go into the settings for the power profile and make absolutely sure that the minimum and maximum CPU speeds are set to 100%.

I did some testing to satisfy myself that EWQLP supports offline rendering in Ableton Live. In fact, initially it was not working, but after an upgrade of Live, it began to work. Nevertheless, I can't say for sure that it's working - all I can say is that in my testing, I could not induce dropouts by doing things such as increasing polyphony, feeding it a busy MIDI file, and also enabling CPU speed throttling.

Greg.

Re: East West Pianos clicks and pops [Re: pianojohnw] #1913292
06/14/12 03:53 AM
06/14/12 03:53 AM
G
Gigantoad Offline
Gigantoad  Offline
G

Have you tried with another VST? Maybe a trial of Pianoteq if you own no other. At least that would probably show the issue is with EWQLP.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Piano Monitors
by PianoManChuck. 01/21/19 05:38 PM
Questions about Pianoteq 6 and Kawai CA98
by ADWyatt. 01/21/19 01:25 PM
Question about Yamaha DGX-660
by MikeSD. 01/21/19 12:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,714
Posts2,784,457
Members92,186
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission