2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1912153 06/12/12 02:04 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hello everyone

It's come down to these two. I have played alot of DPs and I liked the MP6 compared to the rest. I can't find any stores who sell the MP10 anywhere here in AUS. So I was wondering how these two compare?

I prefer a heavy action, compared to light actions. Maybe the MP10 is heavier than the MP6? Or maybe the MP10 isn't much of a jumped, feel wise?

Appreciate the help

Dan

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not sure how relevant it is, but I've had a CA63 (same action as the MP10) for an year and replaced it with a MP6 recently. I thought I was doing a downgrade since I bought the MP6 mainly for playing with a band and because I bought a new apartment with tiny space, however it turned out I enjoy MP6 much more than CA63 for keyboard feel and keyboard touch response. I have always thought I prefer heavier actions over lighter actions but somehow this didn't prove true. And it's not the static weight exactly which feels lighter on the MP6. Both feel probably the same in static weight, however in real playing MP6 feels livelier whereas the CA63 feels sluggish.

Sound-wise, however, MP10 has an edge over the MP6.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
P
I visited the local Kawai dealership here to give the MP6 a test run two days ago. I spent around an hour playing the Mp6 and I thougt that the action was superb. In fact, to my taste, it felt better than the fp7f which I was also considering. The action was a little heavier than I expected which I liked (But not as heavy as the action on the Yamaha p155...a happy medium IMHO).
I then sat down directly afterwards with the CA63 which as mentioned above has the same action as the MP10. All I can say is wow...For my personal taste, I could not ask for a nicer action. Personally, I did not find the action sluggish (Which really shows one has to test out these actions for themselves as its highly subjective). The action did feel quite different though, more substantial perhaps and bottomed out softer than the MP6 if that makes sense. I did not have any issues playing fast passages and found the action to be very responsive personally. I am now looking personally at the ca13 which I believe is the cheapest offering by kawai to include this action. I believe the mp10 is a large enough jump feelwise to jutify the purchase personally. Good luck with your choice...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Indeed, everything is a matter of taste and a personal preference, so the best way is to try both pianos and decide for yourself, as has always been mentioned here.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys.

The reason I asked is because I am unable to try the MP10 as it isn't sold anywhere near me. I have looked online at alot of places and that do not have the MP10. Shame though because it would be an easy decision if so. I do really like the MP6.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Destaana, it might be worth dropping my colleagues at Kawai Australia a line to find out if any stores in your area stock the MP10.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
W
W
Originally Posted by Destaana
Thanks guys.

The reason I asked is because I am unable to try the MP10 as it isn't sold anywhere near me.

One other approach would be to see if you can try another DP with the same action (RM3). These include the CA93 and CA63 (though without the letoff, which isn't a big difference to testing how it feels), and a couple of others depending on your region.

I recently bought an MP10, and really like it. However, I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be just as happy with the MP6 and $1,100 in the bank, or a P155 and $1,800 in the bank. It is a great DP, though, and I don't really have any regrets.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I would love to have an MP10, though I think it's overpriced in America--its predecessors were not so expensive. And from what I understand, it's significantly more overpriced in Australia.

Online Content
Originally Posted by whitfit
One other approach would be to see if you can try another DP with the same action (RM3). These include the CA93 and CA63 (though without the letoff, which isn't a big difference to testing how it feels), and a couple of others depending on your region.

Yes, the CA13*, CP209/179/139, and CS9/CS6 models also utilise the 'RM3 Grand' keyboard action.

Cheers,
James
x

* without let-off

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Both MP6 and MP10 have excellent actions. For me the MP10 is smoother and more "damped" somehow and as someone above said, it bottoms out softer (maybe a bit too soft, almost squishy) - but it is a lovely feeling action. But as I say, they are both very good.

D
OP Offline
D
Hey guys

Good idea. There's a store near me that has the CA93. So I'll go and play that one to allow me to make an easier choice.

Hear in AUS it's about 4500.... Alot. Double what it is in the USA. Unfortunately, KAWAI, for some reason, doesn't allow new models to ship to AUS. I don't get it.

Z
Z
I have a P-85, which is close to the same. It still has my favorite action of all the affordable DPs. I use mine as a controller as well. The lack of a mod wheel is a bit annoying but otherwise it works fine. Mod wheels/levers might be of limited use for acoustic piano sounds, but I miss having the ability to add vibrato to the Wurly sounds, change the tone of the tines on the Rhodes or to adjust the attack and/or release on string pads.

Yamaha P-85, Kurzweil K-1000, Galaxy Vintage-D, Musebox, Rhodes Chroma.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Hear in AUS it's about 4500.... Alot. Double what it is in the USA. Unfortunately, KAWAI, for some reason, doesn't allow new models to ship to AUS. I don't get it.

From what I understand, the local subsidiaries of Kawai make all those kinds of decisions. It was Kawai America that decided not to import the CA-13, much to our chagrin. Local subsidiaries probably are responsible for the pricing decisions as well. So anyway, don't blame Kawai Japan. They just design and build the stuff, apparently. And they do a good job.

I don't now how Kawai competitors price things in Australia, but 4500 AUS is a lot of stinkin' money. I do love the RM3 action, but that's above what I personally think it's worth. Is the Yamaha markup similar? They might have an NU1 available for less than that. No one around here has one, but my guess is that it will compare well with higher end Kawais like the MP10.

Last edited by gvfarns; 06/13/12 12:09 AM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
They might have an NU1 available for less than that.

Not in our lifetime...

Australian prices are always inflated for new gear of any brand. It's because there's no competition anymore. Our music retail industry is practically a cartel these days.

D
OP Offline
D
Hey guys

Here are some price comparisons. Here in AUS our retail prices are through the roof

Kawai MP10 - $4595 AUD vs $2499 USD. Pretty much double when of course exchanging the dollar

Kawai MP6 - $3000 AUD vs $1,499.00 USD

It would make sense for me to order from the USA, but I can't convince anyone to lower the price. Atleast I tried. Though I will try the CA-93 this weekend. I'm hoping I like the MP6 better wink

Online Content
Kawai MP10 - $4595 AUD vs $2499 USD. Pretty much double when of course exchanging the dollar

Note that those are RRP. Online stores should be rather more favourable.
For example, Turramurra Music list the MP10 and MP6 at $3399 and $2249 respectively.

http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=724
http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=1502

Cheers,
James
x

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks James. Interesting.

Though, for the MP10, I still think that's quite steep when comparing to the US, but it's much lower than the other prices I've seen which is promising.

V
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Note that those are RRP. Online stores should be rather more favourable.
Turramurra Music list the MP10 and MP6 at $3399 and $2249 respectively.

http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=724
http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=1502

Cheers,
James
x

Turra's a good place to try - had both the MP10 and MP6 at the time i bought my DP. Almost bought the MP10 (and the Kronos) there. They also had the Nord Piano, Yamahas, Korgs and Rolands. I spent a few Saturday's there trying them all side by side.
Theres also,...
http://www.davidlawsonspianos.com.a...d=10&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=6
http://www.davidlawsonspianos.com.a...d=10&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=6

and

http://www.carlingfordmusic.com.au/...o&cPath=125_128&products_id=1770

So there's a bit of price movement - all good stores BTW.

S
S
Destaana, have you checked the price from Thomann.de? Shipping to Aus is ~$60 if under 30kg. You will have to pay duty if over $1000AUD though, so it might not work out cheaper. Worth a look though. They will pay return shipping costs apparently if the item is faulty.

D
OP Offline
D
Hey Stevesie

I checked out the site. That would actually be the best option. Is there a way I can work out exactly what the duty fees are? If they're I thousand I don't think I'd bother. It would add up to the same as here.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission