2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 370 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 369 370
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Rossy, that was beautiful duet playing and I noted how very relaxed Beric's hands appeared, tickling the keys.
Thanks for sharing.

vegasE, I nominate you PW's #1 Prince fan and Griffin is Kool's #1 fan.

Off to cook and clean!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Hi Piano Joy - I'm glad you liked the duet. Every few months when I visit Beric (my dad) we play duets. It doesn't especially matter to me whether what we're playing is technically right, or sounds good. For me, playing duets has become the best way I know to make a connection with my Dad, and for years now I've had enormous fun and joy from doing this, which is wonderful.

As for dad's relaxed hands - I've envied him this for a while - since I started having lessons towards the end of last year. Being videod has shown up my stiff- looking hands - and taught me something!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Ooops, that's not what I meant to imply (about your hands!).

I think you should ask Rossy to take more videos -and pictures- of the two of you (meaning your Dad+ you) playing together. Someday, you will TREASURE having them and what lovely memories you are creating for yourself!

Last edited by piano joy; 06/11/12 05:19 PM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Dipsy, that was an awesome video. It made me walk over my piano and start playing around a mozart's duet that I should be working on now in case we have a piano party here in AZ this summer... AZ is Arizona by the way..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dipsy, that was a delightful duet of your Dad and you! You both sound so accomplished and seem to be having a ton of fun as well. smile

My Dad just turned 88 and never played much (except for two songs - "Fascination" and "Love Makes the World Go Round"), and he never sang either except when I recently played "Chattanooga Choo-Choo", he astonished me by singing along all the words from beginning to end by memory (something I could never do).. I said we'll have to get an act together and hit the road. lol! grin

Looking forward to more of your duets! thumb

Last edited by Elssa; 06/11/12 08:13 PM.
Piano joy - I think it would be a great idea to have a record of other duets with dad, and I know I would treasure them. 'My cameraman' would have to be willing of course! Next time I might be in a better state of dress!

Hiya farmgirl - I'm glad you went to your piano to play some of a mozart duet in case you have a piano party, though having a go maybe worthwhile whether or not that happens. I've never heard of a piano party, but it sounds really good. How does it wol have to compete for a go at a single piano?

Do you any of you know if there is a way of playing a duet with someone online whilst maintaining a decent quality of sound and without any problems of the music being out of sync? The only thing I can think of is skype but I'm not sure if this would work well enough.

Hi Elssa - I expect you really value the moment you shared that song with your dad. It seems a shame that most people dont seem to do much humble music making at home nowadays.

Last edited by Dipsy; 06/11/12 08:19 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Dipsey, that was just wonderful. You are lucky to have a parent who is musically inclined and willing to teach too! I'm the only one in my family who plays anything and my family has no interest at all in even listening to me — never mind playing along. Keep it up with your Dad!

Sandy

Hi Sandy - I've been lucky to have had music around the house as I was growing up, and I think its such a shame that you don't have folk around you to share your music with. But hey! i guess that's what we're here on piano world for! So there are plenty of people around you and your music- making in spirit.

V
V
Dipsey, nice stuff there. Definitely something to enjoy and cherish. Last time I was able to enjoy a duet was many many years ago (I'm not that old smile ) a close friend and I were working on Schubert's Fantasia- I should dig it out.
I am tryin to expose my 5yo and 2.5yo to as much piano as possible, maybe 1 (or both laugh ) will take to it.

Growing up my fam was also non-musical but one of my fondest memories is having my dad walk into the room, Scotch in hand, and sit down to listen to me play/practice. And this is from someone who (as some people here may be able to relate to) worked 99% of the time....brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Agree with others here.....record some more.

Last edited by vegasE; 06/11/12 10:14 PM.
V
V
Sorry for the double posting.....

Just remembered your post of Hiromi Uehara.
She really is an amazing pianist and performer...

Check out her duet with Chick Corea for some hot steamy piano playing. Probably illeagal in some places.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I loved your video, Dipsy. I’ve found it very inspiring to improve seriously my poor sight-reading. I know you have had to do a lot of work to reach such level, but it’s worth it clearly. I’m looking forward to seeing more videos of you and your dad playing duets wink.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I really enjoyed listening to your video Dipsy. What a skill to be able to sight read at that level! Also, how wonderful to be able to enjoy the piano with your Dad! It's very inspiring. Thanks for sharing it!

Last edited by griffin2417; 06/12/12 07:31 AM.

Carl

Hiya vegasE, recaredo and griffin - thanks for your nice comments about the duet (though it wasn't pure sightreading. just never rehearsed). I'll try to get Rossy to video more duets when the opportunity arises.

I've always had the support of my dad for anything I've done involving music and as I know that not everyone has this, I think I should be grateful.

we've been listening to Lady Gaga - a first for me. All I knew of her was that she had unusual dress sense and wore a dress made of bacon once. She seemed to have a good voice - good range, and versatilty so I've decided not to criticise her.

V
V
Originally Posted by Dipsy
we've been listening to Lady Gaga - a first for me. All I knew of her was that she had unusual dress sense and wore a dress made of bacon once. She seemed to have a good voice - good range, and versatilty so I've decided not to criticise her.
I wouldn't hold it against you if you did decide to criticise her grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dipsy

I just bought the album "Born this way" last week to see if all the GaGa hype and GaGa trashing frequently thrown about in the media is actually warranted. And my assessment is that this album is straight-up awesome. Not only does it sound great but it is lyrically, by the standards of pop music at any rate, quite intelligent. Almost every track is infused with a calculated subversion of religious themes, and I can now see why theologians across the world have taken such offense to it - to say nothing of the fact that it is a woman who is generating this subversion.

For instance, us westerners might roll our eyes at rhyming "hair" with "prayer," but, to other non-secular nations and cultures, the idea of a woman's hair and the act of prayer have very real significance. Imagine what it must be like to be a girl from a migrant Iranian or Somali family hearing rebellious lyrics like this:

This isn't just mindlessly provocative music, the likes of which we see from boobs like Madonna - there is real substance here (I think).

Wayne knew what he was doing when he went GaGa.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Polyphasicpianist, I almost hate to admit this, but after watching a whole concert on youtube the other night, I totally agree, for instance, here is gaga doing a jazz number, AND YOU GUYS KNOW I HATE JAZZ!!!

I shouted that to make the point that even though I hate jazz, I can still see gaga doing this number well.
In the same concert she then did three solo piano numbers, which showed her skill and versatility, because again they were in a different style to both this jazz AND the dance numbers.

I think everyone should see this clip before making any judgment calls on the LAdy.

Gaga for all the hype and media garbage is certainly a talented performer who is both interesting and has an awfull lot to offer as well, Wayne was correct indeed, he was/is right.

A ticket for one of her concerts in my opinion would be money extremely well spent, you would be entertained in a pleasent way, and like polyphasic pianist says, Her lyrics will give you food for thought as well, and as the Americans say, you will get a lot of bang for your bucks.

Last edited by Rostosky; 06/14/12 06:32 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Hi folks - thought you might like some Jeff Buckley

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good evening everybody!

I wanted to propose some music by Dvorak again. I never get tired to listen to his piano quintet Op. 81; the beauty of its melodies is fascinating. As always I encourage listening to the whole work, but here we can listen to the second movement “Dumka”.

I hope you like it.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone! I'm sorry I've not been able to post this week. I am into an extremly busy time for the next few weeks at work. We have a couple of major events I am involved with. However, I will definitely be doing my regular Sunday classical postings, and I'm looking forward to getting some quiet time to listen your postings tonight. I hope you all are doing well. Rupak, I know you've been busy too. I do hope you will be able to post some more ICM, even if you may not be able to today.

Dipsy, I liked Jeff Buckley, though I havn't listend to him before. As for the Lady Gaga postings, I am going to listen to them a bit later. I've listened to some of the postings by Wayne of Gaga, and some postings from the PC forum. Frankly, I was impressed with her talent.

I must be off to catch up on a little housework before it gets too far out of control. I hope to check in at least one more time tonight.

Later!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can't actually stand this peice, but it is not too often you hear Gould playing this sort of thing so I thought I would post it.

These on the other hand, I love . . .

Page 259 of 370 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission