2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
OP Offline
Z
How much does it cost to buy and retrofit a player system that can also record on a 7 foot grand? I saw the LX one is supposed to be the best but I don't know how much it costs to add. Or the Piano Disc one? Thanks

R
R
Last week I visited Steinway Hall at Fort Worth, TX, where they showed me this grand with a player system.

They mentioned it was worth $9,000.00 US Dlls. Installed. I don't really know how negotiable it is.

Worked great! They played Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Wwoowww, wonderful.

And you managed from an iPad.

Nice feature to have in your piano.

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Gebrüder Knake Grand, 7'1", circa 1895
Celaya, Mexico
Z
OP Offline
Z
I noticed theres some fancy ones that have wifi and ipad control, which I guess are more expensive.

Does anyone know how much a base model is though, that can playback and record, without all the extra features?

Jeff

G
G
Jeff.... The differences between player systems does not rely on how it's driven (WI-FI, Ipad, CD, Iphone etc......) The differences between retrofit player mechanism should be measured by how it is designed. If the iPad was available back in the 1970's one could operate their PianoCorder. These new devices (iPad, Ipod, MP3 players) just make it more convenient on how we store and organize our music library to be played back. All modern piano player systems can be driven by these new devices even Yamaha's Disklaviers MarkIV, MarkIV/PRO & E3.

Good Luck,

Jeff Tasch
GPH

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
LX and Disklavier Mark IV pro (yamaha) are on the same level as far as dynamic levels for each note (i believe its 1020 for both). the pianodisc has roughly 10-30% of that dynamic level. not to sure what that means but i would look into it. ive heard the LX in person and although i didnt have a chance to compare it to a pianodisc in the same shop, it did sound nice. anyways, ive gotten quotes from 6500-7500 (parts and labor)here in Southern california. id research your area to see who installs it and ask for a price. theyll usually quote it over the phone.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
All of the new Piano Disc systems have the SilentDrive HD that has 1,024 levels of expression for each note. Older SilentDrive based systems had the lower level count and can be upgraded. Piano Disc's website, unfortunately, doesn't specify the difference in the general information on their product page and should be updated. If you scroll down the product page and click on SilentDrive HD, the information is clearly stated.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

G
G
Nancy,

When did PianoDisc introduce a record strip that can capture data with 1,024 levels of keynote expression?

Curious,

Jeff Tasch
GPH

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff - I was responding to Gatsbee's post re the levels of expression on playback, not recording in home. PianoDisc's record strip (since you're a dealer also, I'm sure you aware of this) allows the end user to record their own play at 127 levels of expression. Nothing shabby about that.

Both systems the OP mentioned are excellent choices. Each has its pluses and its minuses...hmmm, sounds like trying to make a in choice pianos, doesn't it? smile

Zooplibob - Three basic factors to consider when deciding which player system to choose: 1) Player system engineering design, quality and reliability; 2) Qualified Installer that actually performs a high quality installation; and 3) Last, but certainly not least, the condition of the piano the player system is being installed on. Let's face it, a player system can only perform as well as the piano. As with everything else piano, doing your homework, making sure you have facts, and consulting your budget will all determine which player system is right for your needs.

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
just spoke with my local installer. i would go with the LX system. it runs all the software from all players (pianodisc, disklavier,etc). although the pianodisc does have the silent HD, it barely has any software. In the case of a player system, you have to take into account the hardware and software.. just like a computer.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
although the pianodisc does have the silent HD, it barely has any software.

Not sure how you could possibly mean this as PianoDisc's library is HUGE and varies widely, and reason why the LX does not have to have its own.

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
isnt most of that pianodisc software for the other models. so it wouldnt playback at the high level the silent HD system was designed too

If I had it to do over again I would want to hear the same model of piano with both the Pianodisc and Disklavier demo'd side by side, if possible.

"If I knew I was Going To Live This Long, I Would Have Taken Better Care of Myself" - McNasty's
T
T
Sorry I'm late to the party, A few clarification; LX does not run or play PianoDisc software. The PianoDisc format is encrypted and patented. Additionally, PianoDisc uses a EULA, end-user license agreement or software license agreement/contract between the licensor and purchaser, establishing the purchaser's right to use the software. The license may define ways under which the copy can be used, or not used, which means it can only be used on PianoDisc player systems, unless of course the end user obtains the PianoDisc music unlawfully, which unfortunately happens. Nevertheless, it is punishable by law. And yes, we have won court battles with competitors over this. That being said, PianoDisc does play all of the music in the very small LX library. Also, PianoDisc has re-formated and edited its music library for more accurate playback with improvements to timing, resolution, faster repeats and trills as well as better low volume playback. Incidentally, LX does not have a record strip that can capture data with 1,024 levels of keynote expression. PianoDisc has trained over 1,000 RPT's in six day workshop seminars to install, service and upgrade PianoDisc systems according to specifications set by PianoDisc. This has been a great comfort to the customer. PianoDisc provides a PDTECH Website with information and also provides all technical documents in both printed and software format.
Please let me know if you have any additional question.
Tom

Tom Lagomarsino
EVP Mason & Hamlin - PianoDisc - WNG
toml@pianodisc.com
www.masonhamlin.com
www.pianodisc.com
www.wessellnickelgross.com
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Great post, Tom.

Nice to see you posting!

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Yes, thank you Tom.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
W
W
I would like to add a few comments and clarifications of my own:

(1) The Live Performance Model LX plays more music, and more kinds of music, than any other player piano.

(2) The LX plays all of Pianodisc's non-Silentdrive-Plus music, and in doing this does not infringe any patents or run contrary to any laws.

(3) Pianodisc does not currently play any of Live Performance's music, but Live Performance has no objection to their doing so if they choose.

I hope this note is of use.

Wayne Stahnke

Originally Posted by M.O.P.
All of the new Piano Disc systems have the SilentDrive HD that has 1,024 levels of expression for each note.
That's too bad...I have 1,025 levels.

L
L
Hi, everyone. I’m also interested in rule of thumb install costs. We have a ton of expertise on this site. Assuming a well-maintained piano, so no additional work is required, what’s the rule of thumb for installation costs of a Piano Disc Prodigy Pro Record system? I’ve heard $5k but I don’t know if that is accurate. Thanks,

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by LvPno
Hi, everyone. I’m also interested in rule of thumb install costs. We have a ton of expertise on this site. Assuming a well-maintained piano, so no additional work is required, what’s the rule of thumb for installation costs of a Piano Disc Prodigy Pro Record system? I’ve heard $5k but I don’t know if that is accurate. Thanks,

Hi LvPno,

$5k is quite on the low side, but if all someone is going to do is quickly install a system, then I guess that price could do it. BUT.....

If I am going to let someone cut into the keybed of my piano, trim a small part of the keyframe off, possibly relocate trapwork and pedals, and put a foreign system into my piano, I think I would be foolish to not investigate what I am actually buying.

The final performance of a system like this depends entirely on the care of the installation and the accompanying preparation of the piano, all of which takes time and time costs money. So, properly regulating the action (which is expensive) is necessary to make the system perform the way it was meant to. Dropping this can save many hours.

Just curious - what kind of piano do you have?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’m also curious. If I have a PianoDisc or LX system professionally installed on my piano, how much does it affect acoustic play when I’m not using the system? Also, will it require special handling on tuning, voicing, and regulation? Once the system is installed and functioning, does it require special handling? As a mediocre pianist on a consumer level piano, am I begging for trouble adding one of these systems aftermarket?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission