2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
This is one amazing piano performance. I think
it was played on a Bowsingdorfer1 http://musicmavericks.publicradio.org/features/rafiles/scott.ram

Talking about music is like dancing about art. If the truth will set you free, what do prunes do?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
LOL....it looks like they are having surgery on the Bowie-bosie, NO, wait..... it's Rolfing, that's what they are doing!!! eek :rolleyes: wink laugh ....it is actually a very interesting sound and is fairly pleasing to the ear...the composition is not bad. It looks like something the composer John Cage would do to a piano, but his compositions were never tonal like this one. I like it!

Gpman

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
No, it is a Bowedwin SD10.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Exactly, BDB, how could anyone not recognize the Baldwin signature sound from that piano?
It's so obvious to any one who has ears!

And, sigh... what a waste, they could have gotten a much fuller, more resonant tone out of that lid hinge had the piano had a full-perimeter plate with thicker rim.

And what's with that hammer? They should have used Renner Blue to get more projection out of that "tonk, tonk, tonk"-ing near the bridge.

The action... they could have gotten much better pianissimmo control had they put in a "Full Renner" with the wippen assist springs.

And, come one, what's with the strings? It's like cutting a chicken's throat -- they should have used Röslau through and through for all the plain wires to get a more refined, more "romantic sounding" cantabile tone out of the piano.

And, is it just me or do you also feel that the bass section's scaling is all screwed up? Just listen to the guy "tap tap tap"-ing through the card board on the bass strings. Don't you think they could have gotten a deeper, fuller, more resonant bass tone had they just gone with a lower tension scale?

And, all those palms and fingers on the strings -- don't they know that all that touching will tarnish the bass strings? Dang, these "artists" really don't know much about piano. What a shame, what a shame.

( wink laugh )

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
No, no no no no.....we must not forget the ommission of the Standwood-ie system...this is why it sounded like it did. whome whome whome

Gpman

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
John Cage finally has rivals! Well, at least they didn't drop the piano off a building when they finished. :rolleyes:

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
Estonia 190 - Serial # 6561
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Axtremus ( on 2004-10-26 ):

<h3>Piano Suite by Axtremus</h3>
  1. "Piano Diving" -- Just push a piano off a cliff or diving platform.
  2. "Piano Explosion" -- stick dynamite in piano and blow it up.
  3. "Piano Collision," music for two pianos, eight hands -- put two pianos separately on two spider dollies, on a level surface 100 feet apart. Pianists are to push the pianos towards one another as fast and as hard as they can and let the pianos collide. Repeat until exhaustion or until the pianos completely fall apart.
  4. "Piano Target" -- spray the piano with bullets using the pianist's semi-automatic assault rifle or machine gun of choice.
  5. "Piano Catapult" -- put piano on catapult and hurl it with the catapult.
  6. "Piano Drop" -- fit as many pianos as possible on large cargo airplane(s), fly the airplane(s) and drop the pianos from 10,000 feet (or higher) in the air.
  7. "Piano Bungee" -- Tie piano to extra strong bungee cord, push it off a bridge and bungee! (Optional: Tie pianist to piano.)

As the composer, I prefer Bösendorfer 9'6" Imperial for #1, Estonia 9' Concert Grand for #3, Grotrian-Steinweg 9' Concert Royale for #5, Steinway 9' Model D for #7, and M&H 9'4" CC for everything else.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Axtremus:
As the composer, I prefer Bösendorfer 9'6" Imperial for #1, Estonia 9' Concert Grand for #3, Grotrian-Steinweg 9' Concert Royale for #5, Steinway 9' Model D for #7, and M&H 9'4" CC for everything else.
Wot, no Fazioli?

"Passions, violent or not, may never be expressed to the point of revulsion; even in the most frightening situation music must never offend the ear but must even then offer enjoyment, i.e. must always remain music." -- W.A.Mozart

212cm Fazioli: some photos and recordings .
Auckland Catholic Music Schola .
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Matthew Collett:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Wot, no Fazioli?
Personal preference aside, all the pianos were chosen for good technical reasons. While the Fazioli F-278 is a nice piano, it has nothing distinctive that makes it any more suitable than the other pianos for my Piano Suite (and I'd say the same for Yamaha CF and Baldwin SD-10). In theory, I think the Fazioli 308 can replace the Bösendorfer Imperial for #1, but I am reluctant to trust a piano that I have yet to see one myself. So Fazioli just has to sit this one out at the moment.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission