2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 13 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1907043 06/02/12 11:40 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Let's face it- parents fear their kid turning into an ADHD zombie! They don't want their son or daughter addiced to drugs like ritalin and adderall. So, why not market piano lessons as an ADHD prevention measure.

Some slogans include

Less ritalin, more chopin. I know that it doesn't exactly rhyme, but a lot of people don't know how to pronounce chopin.

Stop Medicating, Start practicing!- maybe have a picture of an adhd zombie kid under stop medicating, and a focused child under the start practicing.

Maybe a pic of a piano with the words "ADHD prevention machine" under it?

Seriously, I had a girl who almost made me believe in ADHD this semester. She had all the classic signs- fidgety, would want to do something else, moving around a lot, etc. Then, when she started to learn to play you could just see the ADHD melt away!

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
There is no way I am answering. You post every few days and NEVER reply to anything that anyone says to you.

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Gary D.
There is no way I am answering. You post every few days and NEVER reply to anything that anyone says to you.

You just did answer! Why do I need to answer something, when I don't have any further questions?

B
B
To be honest, I can think of other demographics to which I would rather target my advertising wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kspriggs
Let's face it- parents fear their kid turning into an ADHD zombie! They don't want their son or daughter addiced to drugs like ritalin and adderall.

Ritalin and Adderall are not addictive.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
kspriggs, in forum netiquette, it is desirable to acknowledge people's answers when they take the time to try to help, and possibly add your own thoughts or new questions to it. They are discussion forums for discussions. People are interested in your responses and want to know that they have been heard. When someone starts several threads and never responds back, it creates bad feelings. This is what is going on.

In regards to your observation --- you are describing fidgety behaviour which can be for any number of reasons such as boredom or a need to move physically. Unfortunately ADHD has become a popular catch-all phrase used to describe everything. Real ADHD is a symptom of a number of things which can be physical, part of the nervous system etc., and can't be cured that way. But piano might be a cure for the fidgety behaviour caused by boredom, a child's need to move, and any number of things. A child might have been misdiagnosed because dosing him/her with Ritalin is the easiest "cure".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How about teaching kids respect, honesty and giving them a little discipline now and then while we're at it? Saying NO and sticking to it, really Issss okay......

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
How about teaching kids respect, honesty and giving them a little discipline now and then while we're at it? Saying NO and sticking to it, really Issss okay......

thumb

M
M
In out of the respect for my son who has ADHD and myself ADD, music does not necessary fix it. The key is focus and keeping focus to the task at hand. Positive reinforcement and medication do help but does not go away. I am not medication but I have learned to deal with it all my life.

It is a disorder, not a disease. Most important, the doctor attending with my son, still is monitoring his ADHD even though he is not on medication now.

I have worked with students who have symptoms of ADHD and they are great. Each student has different learning styles and so music does provide one way to organize their thoughts and processes. I would not say music lessons would be a preventive measure for ADHD.

Karen
Redwood Piano Studio
http://redwoodpianostudio.atspace.com/
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Miss Karen
I would not say music lessons would be a preventive measure for ADHD.

My thoughts exactly!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Miss Karen

I have worked with students who have symptoms of ADHD and they are great. Each student has different learning styles and so music does provide one way to organize their thoughts and processes. I would not say music lessons would be a preventive measure for ADHD.

thumb
Many times I find that kids who are labeled ADD or ADHD have incredibly fast minds. So even though they have "problems" that are real, it is impossible to know for sure how many of these "problems" are caused by working with so called "normal" people, whose normality is often a pitifully average, non-intuitive, cookbook mentality totally encouraged by our ROTTEN school system.

The only "fix" in music is that those of us who do not learn the "way we are supposed to" have a chance of being treated as individuals by really smart teachers who are not locked into a "one way fits all" approach.

K
OP Offline
K
[quote=keystring]kspriggs, in forum netiquette, it is desirable to acknowledge people's answers when they take the time to try to help, and possibly add your own thoughts or new questions to it. They are discussion forums for discussions. People are interested in your responses and want to know that they have been heard. When someone starts several threads and never responds back, it creates bad feelings. This is what is going on.

That sounds like massive insecurity rather than netiquette. Why does somebody always need to have their opinion validated with more discussion?

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Gary D.

You just did answer! Why do I need to answer something, when I don't have any further questions?

Not answering implies that no one has mentioned anything valuable enough to simply say, "Thank you for that idea."

I suspect you will not understand the idea of minimal politeness.

That sounds like massive insecurity rather than netiquette. Why does somebody always need to have their opinion validated with more discussion?

I did not write "need" - I said "desirable" and "interested in your response. A synonym might be manners.

I responded to your thoughts on ADHD. What is your reaction?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

Massive insecurity??? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I don't follow your logic.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Massive insecurity??? How did you arrive at that conclusion? I don't follow your logic.

He arrived that because rude people either don't know they are rude or don't care.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
We should be doing these things whether our kids have ADHD or not.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Let's face it- parents fear their kid turning into an ADHD zombie! They don't want their son or daughter addiced to drugs like ritalin and adderall.

Ritalin and Adderall are not addictive.
And they don't cause kids to act like zombies, either.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
Are you qualified to make that diagnosis Spriggs? Your prescribed "treatment" and reducing it to a slogan is an insult to anyone who has to directly or indirectly deal with this problem.

I don't think that the OP knows what ADHD is, as a starter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission