2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i think going to italy is a terrific idea. in addition to visiting fazioli, you really might consider visiting the val di fiemme where the wood is harvested for ciresa soundboards, used by fazioli. these are the forests where stradivari selected tonewood for his violins, and they have been managed by a community collective since the 1300s.

i visited there when researching my book, though that part of my research didn't make it into the final pages. the folks at ciresa helped me a great deal, and the val di fiemme in the italian alps is a magical place. i would love to return there some day.

i might be in the minority in that i find the more technical the tour, the more interesting, but there is more to learning about piano manufacture than just the piano making factories--there are the action and hammer makers, and the soundboard makers, and the forests those trees come from...

GRAND OBSESSION is supposed to be released in german in about a year, and i am already thinking about how i might help the german publisher launch it, so perhaps there will be a happy confluence?

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
I am interested. Seeing some big rebuilders shops would be cool

Melissa Warren

B
B
What about Amateur Pianist Seminars in Europe. Has anyone been to the World Piano Conference in Novi Sad, Serbia? Lots of very interesting presentations on a variety of pedagogy. And. Serbia is beautiful country, and very inexpensive. The conference is hosted by Dr Dorian Leljak. Usually held in July. I plan on returning next year.

I'm interested!

tommytones
Mus. B., Classical Piano Performance
Kawai No. 600
Roland Digital Piano Model No. HP 147
Wurlitzer Electronic Piano Model No. 200A
Hammond M-3
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I'm keeping an eye on this... but I suspect it will be over my budget like it was last year. Is there already a rough approximation what the tour will cost?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Definitely interested if it fits my work schedule (I have some unavoidable commitments). I'd definitely like to see the Steingraeber works if possible.

My wife would come along -- she's a non-pianist and one of those who'd appreciate some non-piano excursions as "breakouts." I suspect she'd even be willing to organize some of that stuff.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Agilita
Jim*, it's wicked hard to maintain a piano on an island (humidity, etc.).

Seriously, are you moving to Bali?

*I hope I remember correctly which tour member was Palindrome!

I used to be an Indonesian translator (this during the Viet Nam conflict, but I can still speak the language some). I'm determined to get back there for a spell of several months, as soon as I'm finally retired.

And with regard to maintaining a piano in the tropics, it may be time to repost "A Humid Recital Stirs Bangkok."

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
I really enjoyed the trip and found the group fun and friendly. Guenther was excellent and the places we went were perfect. I liked the bus and found it comfortable.I agree with British Jim about the location of the hotels in an objectionable part of town was not a good thing. Also how about travelling in April or May-so air conditioning is not necessary. June was uncomfortable without air conditioning.
I liked the idea of eating meals with the group but unfortunately, I found the meals of lesser quality than what I expected especially considering the cost of the trip. I ate elsewhere a couple of times and found much better meals were available. Also drinks of any kind were not included with meals and you should have been able to get a glass of iced tea, coffee, or a soda with your meal without paying extra for it.

qtpi
I read, with great envy, about the last trip and the posted pictures were fabulous. I would be interested in joining next years jaunt.

I would also like to see the Sauter factory as by then, I will own one.

Cheers,

allthumbs

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
A little lost here, and envious just like "allthumbs," with everyone's posts from the previous trip, but they definitely make this sound like a really exciting trip-to-be.

I am interested and will watch as the details come together. I was thinking of a vacation that would immerse me in both Music History and Food History.

Germany and Italy sound wonderful.

Thanks!
Melissa

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I keep looking at this thread and keep drooling more and more... :-/ I think that this trip is starting to look excellent!

V
V
Hi Frank:
Do you have dates for the European tour yet? Even approximate dates? When will you have the details nailed down?

Mus. B and Mus. M in Classical Piano Performance; Fulbright Scholar, Vienna, Austria; Bosendorfer 225, Yamaha Disklavier C2, Kawai KG-2G, Baldwin 5'4" Grand, Yamaha Clavinovas CLP 170 and CLP 930.
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Hi virtuosaval2,

We've been working behind the scenes with our tour guide from the previous European Tour but do not have the official agenda yet.

It's looking more and more like we will be waiting until
2014 to do this tour.

For one thing, we want to do it right (we will be sharing the details and asking for feedback).

The other challenge is that Kathy and I have a lot going on right now and aren't able to devote as much time and effort to the tour as we would like.

We are both selling our places (her's is sold, my manufactured home in Largo, Florida is still available ).

If all goes well we will be buying a home together in Maine and moving in after the first of the year. The place needs to be renovated which will take up some of our time.

After that we will be able to devote much more time to the tour, a project we are very excited about!

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

V
V
Thanks, Frank!! I was wondering who is the contact person for the WDR historic instrument collection in Cologne, Germany. I might be there this summer and I'd love to see the collection. You can message me if you don't want it public. Thanks!

Mus. B and Mus. M in Classical Piano Performance; Fulbright Scholar, Vienna, Austria; Bosendorfer 225, Yamaha Disklavier C2, Kawai KG-2G, Baldwin 5'4" Grand, Yamaha Clavinovas CLP 170 and CLP 930.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Nothing seems happening here anymore. Has it been moved to 2014?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
This all sounds so wonderful. Please keep me up to date with information. It's April already and June is so close. I doubt I can swing it but would love to follow in your footsteps sometime in the future, maybe even 2014.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A
A
Hope you will join us.I am interested and will watch as the details come together.
Germany and Italy sound wonderful.

Took a quick look at the 2011 trip, looks like it turned out to be quite a success.

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
R
R
There are lots of ways that you can explore Europe; trains, planes, and automobiles. But nothing beats a relaxing river cruise. If you've already seen Big Ben and are looking for something more, maybe a river cruise is in store for you.

childrens party bag fillers

J
J
Now it’s the best timing to make a few plans for the future and it is the moment to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I want to suggest you some fascinating things or tips.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission