2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
OP Offline
S
I took delivery of a new Kawai K8AS today, and it was a really wild morning. First, I asked them to make sure that it is a small delivery truck because a large, long bed truck might have a problem going up our long, 150 ft. plus, and fairly steep driveway. Well, guess what, they sent an 18-wheeler...so I had to help push the piano, still in box, up the driveway to the side door. While pushing it up a 6 in. step in front of the door, the small dolly went side way and the whole piano landed on the driveway with a loud bang... We opened up the container, physically the piano looked okay, the fallboard came off on the right side, but was able to put it back on easily thus I decided to go ahead and take it. Got it into the room okay despite the fact that it put a dent in the wood floor and broke the tile by the door. Delivery guys were very nice and worked hard to get it into the house, with our help, so I did not want to fuss at them. It was an accident that no one wanted to happen, when it happened we all stood there for a moment in disbelief! Tonight, I played each note and each seemed to respond fine i.e. each key went up and down with no hesitation; however, there was a problem with the music rack and the left pedal did not respond at all. The music rack wiggled on the right side, took it off tightened the loose screws, put it back on and noted the right side is about 3mm higher than the left side. I opened up the bottom panel and noted that the rod to the left pedal came off completely. I told the piano company what happened and sent them picture of the rod just leaning against the side of the piano. I asked them to get me an RPT ASAP to check this out instead of waiting for 4 weeks or so before having a tech tuning it again. What else should I be worry about? Thanks. Murphy's law was in full play today frown

Last edited by Smiles466; 06/04/12 08:59 AM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Realistically, the piano should be structurally sound, but the moving company should be held responsible for any damages to the piano and your house. Any reputable mover should have insurance, so it shouldn't be a problem. If it is, you can take them to court for damages.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The pedal rod is not serious, but the piano should be checked for hidden damage, particularly to make sure that the case was not knocked out of square.

The movers do not sound competent to me.

Semipro Tech
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Further, the piano was sent to you in a box?

This means there was no prep. done at all. Make sure the tech. coming is aware of this. He may have to spend more time there than he might normally expect.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
S
OP Offline
S
They sent me a video showed that it was unboxed and prepped. They reboxed it for shipping.

S
OP Offline
S
the "hidden damage" is what I am really concern about. Thanks, I will make sure the tech will check the casing.

I am so sorry this happened to you... and, you definitely seem to have a good attitude about the incident and the ordeal. There is no doubt this clouds the joy and happiness you should be experiencing as a new piano owner.

If it were me, I'm afraid I would not be so forgiving of the movers, especially since you tried to alert them of the long, up-hill driveway to start with. In my view, you would not be out of line for wanting a new piano or additional compensation for the possible hidden damages or potential damage that might not show up for a while. Or, at a minimum, I'd want an extended warranty.

I agree with BDB, the movers sound inexperienced or incompetent.

I hope this all works out for the best.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hmmm. You asked them for a small delivery truck so when they sent an 18-wheeler "...I had to help push the piano, still in box, up the driveway to the side door."

Let's stop right there, Smiley. 18-wheeler shows up, you say, "Take it back, I asked for a small truck that will fit." Movers ask you to push it up the steep driveway, you reply, "No."

I know you want your piano and are a nice and helpful guy, but you are already your own worst enemy here.

"While pushing it up a 6 in. step in front of the door, the small dolly went side way and the whole piano landed on the driveway with a loud bang... We opened up the container, physically the piano looked okay, the fallboard came off on the right side,"

Now, you don't exactly say what happened, but if it was you who replaced the fallboard... "but was able to put it back on easily thus I decided to go ahead and take it" ...then you are already in trouble: this is the job of the seller's agent, which is either the mover or the technician. Once you start down this road when there's already pretty good suspicion that you could have a problem, you're moving toward their being able to say, "Well, he messed with it and may have damaged it himself; the warranty is voided. Anyway, we can't tell who did what damage." Or something like that, and honestly, it's fair to ask.

"...Got it into the room okay despite the fact that it put a dent in the wood floor and broke the tile by the door. Delivery guys were very nice..." They are also nice and liable for the damage to your home! "...and worked hard to get it into the house, with our help, so I did not want to fuss at them. It was an accident that no one wanted to happen, when it happened we all stood there for a moment in disbelief!"

"Tonight, I played each note and each seemed to respond fine i.e. each key went up and down with no hesitation; however, there was a problem with the music rack and the left pedal did not respond at all. The music rack wiggled on the right side, took it off tightened the loose screws, put it back on and noted the right side is about 3mm higher than the left side. I opened up the bottom panel and noted that the rod to the left pedal came off completely. I told the piano company what happened and sent them picture of the rod just leaning against the side of the piano."

You truly break my heart, Smiley. Such a nice and helpful guy, and such a nice piano... and already in such a heap of trouble.

I would send it back, right away! You have noted the serial number, so when they send you a new piano, you will check it to see that it actually is a new unit with a different serial. These are only the misadventures that you saw with your own eyes. But you know--- and everyone knows--- that new pianos are not made for this demolition derby handling. It means one thing only, for you: trouble. Actually, Elvis sang a whole song about it (not a piano song, but it works): "Suspicion."

Real piano movers do not want your help, Number One. A new piano, in warranty, must be worked on by a qualified technician Or Else, Number Two.

These problems belong to the seller. So start again. And they should fix your floor, too. Let them be glad they don't have to buy you a new foot, or a new back.

Maybe this all sounds too tart--- I'm actually kind of outraged on your behalf, and I'm sending you my best hopes for a good outcome. And sure, I can forgive that miscommunications happen, accidents happen, and all that. A piano delivery is such a rare occasion for most of us, we want to pitch in and make it go ok. But pro's know better: they will smile, thank you, and ask you to step out of the way.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 06/04/12 12:34 PM.

Clef

Do you have the option to return this piano to exchange it for a new one? I might be inclined to do that just for peace of mind. It's also very simple. A cursory tech inspection may hit the high points, but if damage is there but hidden from the eye it may take months or years to show up.

B
BDB Offline
B
A few days ago, there was a topic in the Technician's area about wheels for piano dollies. This story illustrates one of my points from that topic.

Pushing the piano up the driveway would have been no problem with the proper dolly. If the dolly's wheels are large enough, at least 6 inch diameter, it would have gone right up. If the wheels did not swivel, there would be plenty of control. You just push the piano in the direction where you want it to go, without wasting energy keeping it straight. If you want to turn it, press down on one end of the piano and turn it on two wheels.

Inexperienced movers want small wheels on a dolly so they do not have to lift the piano as much. The fact that they will be lifting the piano much more to get over obstructions escapes them. They want wheels that swivel so it will turn more easily, despite the fact they will have much more trouble making the piano go straight, which is what they usually want to do. Even when turning the piano, there is much more control when the wheels do not swivel.

So I bet these movers had a dolly with about 3 or 4 inch diameter casters that swivel. The wrong people with the wrong tool for the job!

Semipro Tech
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
This kind of story makes me kinda sad, but makes me grateful I hired pro movers to move my grand instead of the craigslist $200 special. They were quick and efficient, and really a joy to watch, despite the fact that they had to deal with stairs and a tough turn. And you can bet they wouldn't have let me anywhere near the piano while they were doing the job. My mother always used to tell me "Sometimes cheap is too expensive," and it looks like that was the case here.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
I was moving a piano for a client one time and she thought the piano was going to tip over so she went to try to grab the piano.

Instead, she hit me square on the left cheek. We almost lost the piano when she "decked" me.

My wife was with me and I thought I was going to lose her from laughter.

When moving a piano, I don't want the customers help. The move is entirely mine to make sure it goes right. Throwing some one in that hasn't done this creates a hazard for not only the piano, but for the movers, and the ones trying to help.

My dolly has 4"wheels and they all swivel. And this is the only instance there has ever been a problem, and that was when the customer stepped in to "help".

I also strap the dolly to the piano so the dolly goes with the piano. Makes it easier if trying to get through a door way where you have to lift the end of the piano over a thresh hold. Also makes sure the dolly stays with the piano.

The movers should have gone back to get a smaller truck to get closer to the house, and they should have had enough experienced help that there wasn't a problem.

Now watch. I've jinxed myself and I'll have a piano tip over.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
B
BDB Offline
B
Yes, but you are in Texas. The entire state is flatter than Oakland! Believe me, you do not want swivel wheels when there are hills.

Semipro Tech
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
This kind of story makes me kinda sad, but makes me grateful I hired pro movers to move my grand instead of the craigslist $200 special. They were quick and efficient, and really a joy to watch, despite the fact that they had to deal with stairs and a tough turn. And you can bet they wouldn't have let me anywhere near the piano while they were doing the job. My mother always used to tell me "Sometimes cheap is too expensive," and it looks like that was the case here.

These people were hired by the piano company and I was charged $500 for the shipment/delivery.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BDB
Yes, but you are in Texas. The entire state is flatter than Oakland! Believe me, you do not want swivel wheels when there are hills.

LOL we live on a hill. This is not west Texas where it is more flat. I live in north central Texas where there are hills smile

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

Maybe this all sounds too tart--- I'm actually kind of outraged on your behalf, and I'm sending you my best hopes for a good outcome. And sure, I can forgive that miscommunications happen, accidents happen, and all that. A piano delivery is such a rare occasion for most of us, we want to pitch in and make it go ok. But pro's know better: they will smile, thank you, and ask you to step out of the way.

I really appreciate your frankness. I needed to hear all of this to prepare myself in dealing with the piano seller. I am really bummed right now :(((

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Smiles, that was a really rough story to read. And you paid $500? I hope you can get a new piano and wish you well.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
+1 what Jeff Clef said.

I am REALLY sorry to read about what happened with the delivery of your new piano.

My two cents: the dealer owes you a new piano; they owe you an apology; they need to fix your floor. I would NEVER have accepted delivery of an instrument that had been dropped, particularly in front of my eyes. It's sure not "new" any more after that.

If the guys with the semi show up again, whether to pick up or deliver, just say, "no". It will be easier on you in the long run.

As to who takes the financial hit, the dealer or the mover - who cares - as long as it's not you.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Seeker
+1 what Jeff Clef said.

I am REALLY sorry to read about what happened with the delivery of your new piano.

My two cents: the dealer owes you a new piano; they owe you an apology; they need to fix your floor. I would NEVER have accepted delivery of an instrument that had been dropped, particularly in front of my eyes. It's sure not "new" any more after that.

If the guys with the semi show up again, whether to pick up or deliver, just say, "no". It will be easier on you in the long run.

As to who takes the financial hit, the dealer or the mover - who cares - as long as it's not you.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes.

I asked him to file a report with the moving company. The ball is in his court so to speak. I am very much leaning toward a new piano so that I could have the peace of mind for the long run. What a saga this has been i.e. first choosing between a DP or an AP, ended up with both, the "good" news is that there was no problem with the delivery of the Kawai DP so at least my daughter can practice on that. Why me???? LOL

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Smiles466
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

These people were hired by the piano company and I was charged $500 for the shipment/delivery.

I apologize for giving the impression that it was your fault that the movers were shoddy. I didn't mean to say that you hired cheap craigslist movers, only that these movers (where were surprisingly provided by the dealer) appeared to be as unprofessional as craigslist movers.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, and I do hope you get the entire situation (including your floor) resolved without any more costs to you.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
My part of Texas is not exactly flat. There are times when delivery conditions are not ideal. Steep ramps up to the house, maybe the house has a wall just past the door that I have to work the piano around. Maybe it has to go upstairs.

I like to go look where I am going to deliver a piano before hand if there is any indication of problems so I can make sure I have plenty of help.

If it isn't possible to go first, I like to see if the owner can give me better insight as to what problems are there to overcome. And I ask lots of questions.

I guess you could say I'm in the North Central Texas area. It's somewhat hilly around my area. One fairly steep grade on I-20 about 9 miles from me.

Your mover should have been better prepared and had plenty of help if he needed. (And it sounds like he did)

Last edited by Roy Rodgers; 06/04/12 05:05 PM.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
M
M
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Smiles, that was a really rough story to read. And you paid $500? I hope you can get a new piano and wish you well.

It was an out-of-state purchase.

What a nightmare. A new piano is in order. Sorry to hear this bad news Chris. The K8 is a heavy piano to lift, I remember watching the guys deliver mine giving me a few nerves at certain points but they delivered safely.

I hope the claim goes smooth.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
New pianos need a little extra attention. Best if provided by a tech who is experienced with new out of the box pianos.

Aren't there any piano dealers in your area? Where these actual 'piano movers' who dropped your piano? Should you have been helping them? I would expect experienced piano movers to politely tell you to get out of the way so they can safely do their job?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
R
R
I would not be forgiving as you under the circumstance.

I belive a new piano would be in order....but hands off for you on the next delivery.

M
M
Was the moving company "The Three Little Stooges"? That might explain something.....hope not because if so forget the claim, they likely filed bankruptcy and fled town already.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
First, like everyone else, I'm really feeling sorry for you!

It makes me realize how lucky I was when I foolishly hired cheap movers (who scrounged for people off the street to help them at the final point of delivery) when moving a U3 (similar size but less weight) up a steep narrow flight of low-ceiling stairs. In the end there were literally footprints on the ceiling!!!!!!!!!!! I was foolish. I got lucky.

This also calls to mind the extreme professionalism of Classic Pianos in Portland, OR. (I'm just a customer and in no way affiliated with them.) When they recently had my new 5'8" grand (Yammy C2) moved up a difficult tight U-shaped stair case, out of their own pockets (the move was thrown into the deal) they hired FIVE guys to do the move (normally there would have been 3, I think) to insure that the tight corners and low ceiling did not cause a mishap. With 5 pros there was little chance of a mishap and indeed there was none. (They also sent 2 guys out to evaluate the move a week before it happened.) Good dealers are a gift. Inevitably their prices are not rock bottom from my experience. 'Kind of makes sense, particularly in regard to greater time spent on regulation before the move begins.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jivemutha
When they recently had my new 5'8" grand (Yammy C2) moved up a difficult tight U-shaped stair case, out of their own pockets (the move was thrown into the deal) they hired FIVE guys to do the move

You can be sure that you, not they, paid for the move. smile

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Rafterman, I am so depress right now about this situation, but the piano company said that it will have to be inspected by an RPT and then will go from there. I have also scheduled for an RPT on my own to come and look at the piano from top to bottom, but not to do any repair on it i.e. just make a list of concerns. He did say that worse case scenario they will send me a new one, but will have to go through this process first. I might even get two different RPT's on my own to look at it, and then compare notes with the one that they will send. You all are correct, next time I will just stand aside and watch. Expensive lesson learned frown

Hi Rafterman, I am so depress right now about this situation, but the piano company said that it will have to be inspected by an RPT and then will go from there. I have also scheduled for an RPT on my own to come and look at the piano from top to bottom, but not to do any repair on it i.e. just make a list of concerns. He did say that worse case scenario they will send me a new one, but will have to go through this process first. I might even get two different RPT's on my own to look at it, and then compare notes with the one that they will send. You all are correct, next time I will just stand aside and watch. Expensive lesson learned

Don’t be overly depressed… I know that is easy for me to say. All is not lost, and it is not the end of the world (by a long-shot).

Unfortunately, the dealer is playing hardball with you. He already has your money in his pocket and he’s buying time and hoping that you will soon forget about watching your piano fall over on its side in the crate. They may well be following protocol in a situation like this, but you are the customer and not a satisfied customer at this point. This is not a warranty issue that requires an RPT inspection; it is a "damaged in shipping/moving" issue.

Most people do not like controversy, or confrontation/conflict, myself included. If you can muster up the courage, contact the dealer again and tell them you do not want to follow the “let’s wait and see what the PRT says” approach. Tell them you insist on having another piano delivered to your home and to pick that one up and take it back. Then, the dealer can have it inspected and decide if he wants to resell it as new to an unsuspecting buyer.

I’m not sure if you have any financial leverage at this point, but if you paid for the piano with a credit card, you may have some leverage there…

Just remember, things could be a lot worse.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately I paid with a check because they did not want to take a credit card for such a big payment and especially when they gave me a really nice price i.e. almost $3K less than the local guy. If the whole thing were on a credit card then yes I would have put a stop to it.

"Most people do not like controversy, or confrontation/conflict, myself included. If you can muster up the courage, contact the dealer again and tell them you do not want to follow the “let’s wait and see what the PRT says” approach. Tell them you insist on having another piano delivered to your home and to pick that one up and take it back. Then, the dealer can have it inspected and decide if he wants to resell it as new to an unsuspecting buyer."

I will tell him this. Thanks Rick.

i would hire a lawyer maybe,, and insist the piano be taken back.. i believe you paid for a working piano.. right?

REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
B
BDB Offline
B
Let us not leap to conclusions. There may be no seriously damage to the piano. Pianos are pretty tough, and they do not fall as fast as you might think. (I know by experience, and when it happened, I broke its fall by letting it fall on top of me. I just ended up embarrassed, because I could not get it off me by myself.)

Pedal rods can come undone in a normal move. They can be replaced fairly easily. That is all that we know is wrong with the piano.

Semipro Tech
V
V
Smiles,

My $0.02, based on personal experience: send it back - do not delay.

A very similar situation happened to me about 6 months ago, upon delivery of my new grand. Swivel wheel dolly slipped as they were setting it up and the piano dropped 10"-12" to the floor. A 6' grand can leave a nice dent in a solid oak floor, let me tell you.

Fortunately, my dealer, who also owned the delivery company, handled it with utmost integrity. They took all the initiative in making it right, before I even asked. Here's what they did.

First, the delivery crew immediately loaded the piano on the truck and took it back. Their tech (actually a respected contract RPT, but "theirs" nonetheless) checked it out very carefully during the next two weeks. He found one minor problem, unrelated to the fall.

In the meantime, a new piano of the same make/model/finish had arrived at their store. They then set up both pianos side by side in the showroom, asked me to play them both and select the one I preferred. The second delivery went off without a hitch.

They also reimbursed me for the floor repair, within 2 days of faxing over the floor guy's invoice.

So...send it back. Yes, it's a pain, but sometimes bad things happen to good pianos. A good dealer will take care of you.

Last edited by ventil; 06/05/12 07:16 PM.

David M. Boothe, CAS
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

Of course, Texas is flat. For example:

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/7297019598/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/6984660838/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/7130714481/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/6842468436/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/6988584179/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/6988578763/in/photostream[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/tx-dennis/6988571993/in/photostream[/img]

I shot all these photos in Texas in the last couple of months.

EDIT: guess I can't embed photos from flickr . . . . They are clickable, though. frown

Last edited by TX-Dennis; 06/05/12 09:44 PM.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

B
BDB Offline
B
Looks like the yards of the houses across the street.

Semipro Tech
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
How 'bout this?

[Linked Image]

Texas Hill Country

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Here's another'n:

[Linked Image]

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Originally Posted by jivemutha
When they recently had my new 5'8" grand (Yammy C2) moved up a difficult tight U-shaped stair case, out of their own pockets (the move was thrown into the deal) they hired FIVE guys to do the move

You can be sure that you, not they, paid for the move. smile

Actually it may not be quite what you think. Of course they factored "a move" into the equation before agreeing to a price. However, the assessment that led to upping the number of movers to 5 came after the dollar figure was agreed to. So arguably a piece of the additional cost came from what was to have been their profit.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BDB
Let us not leap to conclusions. There may be no seriously damage to the piano. Pianos are pretty tough, and they do not fall as fast as you might think. (I know by experience, and when it happened, I broke its fall by letting it fall on top of me. I just ended up embarrassed, because I could not get it off me by myself.)

Pedal rods can come undone in a normal move. They can be replaced fairly easily. That is all that we know is wrong with the piano.

While it is true that pianos are tough, it still bothered the heck out of me that it felled over. The dealer kept saying "oh piano get move/ship all the time so they are okay" I kept having to say "moving/shipping is different from falling over". They gave me a name of a local RPT, who was referred by the Kawai US main technical guy, to come and check it out. It turned out she used to work with him. She came tonight and spent almost 3 hours taking it apart inspecting the entire piano. She was very impressed with the build and quality of the piano, of course smile Anyway, her conclusion was that this piano is in great shape/condition, the bridges, soundboard, rails, rods, pedals are all okay. She said all the inside seems undamaged. She did some minor tuning; however, she wanted to do a full tune up within two weeks to make sure all is right with the piano and another tuning in 3 months. From talking to her, I realize that she rarely see a K8 in this area; she is mainly a Steinway and Yamaha person. I have scheduled with another RPT on my own and will have him give it a once over tomorrow to see what he has to say.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
Here's another'n:

[Linked Image]

I did my post-grad in San Antonio. Texas hill country is beautiful. I always love driving around the area. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Originally Posted by ventil
Smiles,

My $0.02, based on personal experience: send it back - do not delay.

A very similar situation happened to me about 6 months ago, upon delivery of my new grand. Swivel wheel dolly slipped as they were setting it up and the piano dropped 10"-12" to the floor. A 6' grand can leave a nice dent in a solid oak floor, let me tell you.

Fortunately, my dealer, who also owned the delivery company, handled it with utmost integrity. They took all the initiative in making it right, before I even asked. Here's what they did.

First, the delivery crew immediately loaded the piano on the truck and took it back. Their tech (actually a respected contract RPT, but "theirs" nonetheless) checked it out very carefully during the next two weeks. He found one minor problem, unrelated to the fall.

In the meantime, a new piano of the same make/model/finish had arrived at their store. They then set up both pianos side by side in the showroom, asked me to play them both and select the one I preferred. The second delivery went off without a hitch.

They also reimbursed me for the floor repair, within 2 days of faxing over the floor guy's invoice.

So...send it back. Yes, it's a pain, but sometimes bad things happen to good pianos. A good dealer will take care of you.

This is the right course of action for the dealer. This is the right course of action for you.

Just my opinion, of course.

C
C
Unfortunately I paid with a check because they did not want to take a credit card for such a big payment and especially when they gave me a really nice price i.e. almost $3K less than the local guy. If the whole thing were on a credit card then yes I would have put a stop to it.

"Most people do not like controversy, or confrontation/conflict, myself included. If you can muster up the courage, contact the dealer again and tell them you do not want to follow the “let’s wait and see what the PRT says” approach. Tell them you insist on having another piano delivered to your home and to pick that one up and take it back. Then, the dealer can have it inspected and decide if he wants to resell it as new to an unsuspecting buyer."

I will tell him this. Thanks Rick.

They didn't want to pay the percentage points to the CC company. Selling for the lowest price requires some cuts in services... it's inevitable.

For what it's worth I will share a bit of knowledge I got from my general contractor family background...

Never take the lowest bid. Never take the highest bid. Toss both of those in the trash then evaluate the middle bids and go with one of those. You may think you're paying a bit more but, in the end, you are saving money and aggravation.

Most of us tend to forget we have cameras and recorders in our cell phones. A picture of the piano on it's side would have been worth the price of admission. I am so sorry you have to go through all this unpleasantness. I wish for you only the best outcome.

If these folks fail to make good on their mistake you would be doing all of us a favor by posting the name of the dealer so others may avoid them.

M
M
Originally Posted by Cmajor
For what it's worth I will share a bit of knowledge I got from my general contractor family background...

Never take the lowest bid. Never take the highest bid. Toss both of those in the trash then evaluate the middle bids and go with one of those. You may think you're paying a bit more but, in the end, you are saving money and aggravation.

100% true! And one should have 3 bids at a minimum. I can tell you I did not go with the lowest bid for my piano, and opted for the middle bid.

Most of us tend to forget we have cameras and recorders in our cell phones. A picture of the piano on it's side would have been worth the price of admission.

Photos would've been nice. I'm sure they were all in shock after witnessing the fall.

If these folks fail to make good on their mistake you would be doing all of us a favor by posting the name of the dealer so others may avoid them.

They're actually a nice dealer. I provided Smiles with a list of local dealers to check out. He ended up going with this particular one. I imagine everyone was trying to make a deal, dealer gave an unbeatable low price probably not making much profit in the end. Now the move goes bad and it's on the dealer to fix. What a mess. Smiles probably shouldn't have accepted the piano after it fell. Unless he contributed to the fall?

Best not to facilitate any piano mover with the actual handling/moving of your piano to avoid these types of situations.

Please forgive me, but I’m still more sympathetic to Smiles than I am the dealer or the movers. And what about the damaged floor/tile?

The piano may well be okay and no real harm done… but this experience will always be in the back of Smiles mind and the joy of buying his new piano is somewhat diminished.

I wish the best outcome possible for all concerned.

Rick

A
A
Wow Furtwangler. Did not know such a beautiful green, hilly scenery existed in Texas!

Although friends from Austin said it was nice "around there", but never seen a photo.

when I hear Texas, I think of tumble weeds and roadrunners on a dusty interstate stretching for miles without even a gas station in sight...

A
A
Originally Posted by Rickster

The piano may well be okay and no real harm done… but this experience will always be in the back of Smiles mind and the joy of buying his new piano is somewhat diminished.

Piano falls flat, and no one worries about a cracked soundboard, etc? Even if the crack isn't visible, there is high likelihood of some microcracks that is not visible to the naked eye that can eventually propagate and separate. not to mention all those strings i high tension... I just shudder to think!!! (or may be I'm just overreacting..)

Are pianos really that tough to survive this sort of thing?

My piano movers had two metal frame dollies.. each with humongous rubber wheels (cushioned) with big, puffy rubber pads on the flatbed area not to scratch the piano. To get it up the concrete stairs (20 steps!) they first tipped the piano onto one dolly so you can see the entire bottom of the piano (sight I've never seen before...). When they did that, my heart stopped. They obviously knew what theyw ere doing, but I was a nervous wreck (they put the piano on its side on one dolly, then put another dolly on the stairs, and then lowered the piano on its bottom on the dolly on the stairs.. so they don't have to lift one side of the piano to get it on the incline).

only thing I was a bit miffed is that when they got to the top of the landing, they let the piano down on the concrete (the dollly got stuck so they had to get the piano off the stairs first and then re-position.. no way to get the blanket on the concrete patio since the guys had their hands full). so the brass casters on the piano got pitted :-( but since the piano is on a shag carpet, it's essentially buried, so I can't see it.. so i haven't thought about it much after delivery..

But to see the piano actually go over on its side.. I'd start crying (or screaming), and reaching for the phone to call the dealer in hysterics...

I'm no technician, but once dropped, I would opt for a brand new replacement piano. there may be microcracks you can't see that won't show up until years later after the wood has gone through several cycles of swelling/shrinking. My profession is in electronics reliability, and that is one thing we test.. drop it few feet, then go through temperature cycles. it's amazing how things that look fine after the drop, after few thermal expansion/contraction things start cracking and popping off...

Wood is more flexible and fiberous, so may be it doesn't get microcracks... dunno. but I'd be wondering... forever...

perhaps since it was in a shipping crate, it was much better protected (things do get rattled around in those freighters.. no stabilizers like those large cruise ships, so if the wave is high, it goes with it.. believe me.. it's not a mild ride). but the impact would be pretty substantial...

so as someone said, get the serial number (take a photo), and get a new one delivered. The mover's insurance would definitely cover it (assuming they are fully insured...), so the loss shouldn't be to the dealer. and if they take the old one back the same time they deliver your new one, you know you got a new one. 11 years from now you don't want to be wondering if the life of the piano is shorter than what it should be because of the drop..

There is no need to be confrontational about this.. just a simple, "you know.. I've been thinking about this, and I really don't feel comfortable keeping this piano after being dropped like that. I really would like to get a new replacement." Be cordial, friendly, and business-like. MOst of the time, if you're being reasonable, and using a conversational, "please help me" type of approach, things don't get too heated in a situation like this.

the actual delivery guys, who dropped the piano, is another matter.. but you shouldn't be dealing with them directly anyway (unless the moving company is not wise enough to send the same crew to you). You'll be talking to the dealer, who would be talking to the moving company, sooo... very emotionally disconnected.. just a business transaction. so it won't be so uncomfortable.

just my $0.02

R
R
This week my old grand is being moved out and my new one in. If the new piano was dropped I wouldn't have to think twice about sending it back. The piano was a lot of money (for me) and I wouldn't want to risk any hidden damage. Even if the warranty on the piano would cover all the repairs in the future it would just be too much of a risk and a potential headache.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully this gets sorted out quick and easy. Please keep us updated! smile

Last edited by re22; 06/06/12 01:52 PM.

Private Piano Teacher
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akita
Wow Furtwangler. Did not know such a beautiful green, hilly scenery existed in Texas!

Although friends from Austin said it was nice "around there", but never seen a photo.

when I hear Texas, I think of tumble weeds and roadrunners on a dusty interstate stretching for miles without even a gas station in sight...

We've got that, too. And dense forests and miles of beaches, and the second largest canyon in the U. S. (after the Grand Canyon), and 3 of the ten biggest cities in the U. S., and pretty much any other kind of scenery you might want. Texas is a pretty big and diverse place.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

again.. i would not accept a piano that had fallen. in the nicest way.. it's just not an option.. you are in the right.. you deserve a piano that has not fallen down.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by re22
The piano was a lot of money (for me) and I wouldn't want to risk any hidden damage. Even if the warranty on the piano would cover all the repairs in the future it would just be too much of a risk and a potential headache.

You are right about that even though I got it at a good price, it was still a pretty good chunk of change wink I sent an email to him, advised him exactly what you and many other wrote, and that I would like to exchange for a new one. Will wait and see what he has to say.

Last edited by Smiles466; 06/07/12 12:50 AM.
i would save copies of all written correspondence. ... put everything in writing and do not agree to talk over the phone.

C
C
This is what they do for a living so we have to assume the dealer knows the risks of running on a razor thin profit margin. The least little thing that goes wrong tilts the whole transaction into the red ink column. Unless they opened their business the prior day, the dealer should have known better. Being nice is nice but now they have to step up and make it right. The delivery agent was obviously inexperienced and ill equipped. This is one of those times when cutting costs comes back to bite you in the butt.

In the family general contracting business, in every branch, and for three generations, has hung a very pertinent cartoon blown up to poster size on the wall of the reception area... it depicts two obviously destitute individuals sitting on a bench feeding the pigeons and one remarks to the other "Yep, we always had work because I was low bidder on every job".

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...i would save copies of all written correspondence. ... put everything in writing and do not agree to talk over the phone...."

The first part of Apple's advice is spot-on. Practically speaking, you're probably going to have to talk to the seller on the phone. While nothing important should depend solely on a phone conversation, I think it's ok as long as you keep a log with the date and time of the call, name of the person you speak with, and the substance of your conversation. This should be followed up by a letter or e-mail that summarizes what was said.

The main thing is to have an accurate record, to come to a meeting of the minds, and to avoid misunderstandings. Your record should, by the way, include photos of the damage to your home, and an estimate from a vendor of your choice to cover repairs--- the kind of thing an insurance adjuster would want.

It was an unfortunate accident, no more and no less. The seller's and carrier's risk is probably covered to some extent by insurance, and part of the purchase price goes toward funding the overhead of warranty service--- it is not free to the buyer! Don't let the process drag out; an exchange of one brand-new unit for another is a simple matter, compared to repairing or weighing the value of a used piano damaged in shipment.

In the end, the seller will probably retail the piano at a reduced price, or possibly send it out as a rental. I don't think their financial suffering will be very great. The K-8 is a nice upright, and in the end I think you will be very happy... with the 'new' new one.

PS-
And we want to see some pictures, when it gets there. We love pictures of new pianos in their new homes.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 06/07/12 01:02 PM.

Clef

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm so sorry this happened to you on what should be a joyous day. If the piano dealer hired the movers and you paid $500 for delivery, have the dealer give you another K8. The dealer and the delivery company can settle on who pays who for supplying you with an undamaged new piano. That's what you bought, that's what you should get! And document and record everything as Apple suggested.

Good Luck!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
M
M
Any update to this sad story?

R
R
Yes I want the ending as well! (Another K8 concerned owner here!)

I bet it turned out good.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I hope so; if it hadn't, I would imagine the OP would still be complaining.

Clef

A little negative Yelp review goes a long way these days, as well...

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Yelp is a corrupt joke. Anyone who relies on it to chose anything more serious than a hot dog stand might as well seek the advice of a fortune teller.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
J
J
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Yelp is a corrupt joke. Anyone who relies on it to chose anything more serious than a hot dog stand might as well seek the advice of a fortune teller.

Kurt

I agree - I have left positive feedback on experiences in the past only to discover my feedback has been deleted - leaving just negative feedback about some retailers. Seems Yelp has other motives other than providing truthful reviews.

Jonathan

M
M
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alford
Originally Posted by KurtZ

Kurt

I agree - I have left positive feedback on experiences in the past only to discover my feedback has been deleted - leaving just negative feedback about some retailers. Seems Yelp has other motives other than providing truthful reviews.

Jonathan

I can second this. I left positive feedback for both Pierre's Fine Pianos and Kim's (March of 2012), but now I just checked and they seem deleted?! WTF. Not going to waste my time with Yelp any longer. Shame.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone, what a very busy summer this has been for us i.e. piano dilemma, Disneyworld vacation, camps for kids, etc. so I really haven't had time to get back to the forum. I had to repeatedly text and called Kim's Piano for update on the new piano, and he finally came through with it. They finally delivered a new K-8 on the 21st of July. This time they brought extra help! Four guys got it into the room with minimal drama. This piano was manufactured in April of this year so it is fresh off the boat I guess. Oh, how I love the way it sounds (well, the last one too)! It simply is just awesome! I cannot wait until it is "broken" in further. We will have our first tuning sometimes in September so monads and rafterman any advice on the first tuning is greatly appreciated. I am still trying to deal with the delivery company on the repair, but at least the new piano is here now. Thanks all for the advice/guidance, etc.

R
R
Great ending. My personal advice would be to have a good piano tech come over and set it up and tune it. I bought my piano out of the crate off the floor to my house.

I had "Eric Bose" from this forum come over and do his magic.

If your dealer did some set up and regulation that's your call.

I look forward to a Kawai or Shigeru Grand next and having Eric coming back to do his magic. Good luck with yours!

I'm so happy for the outcome.

Now...pictures, of the new piano and of the repaired floor!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission