2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Actually, it sounds more like a sweatshop that preys on recent immigrants. Some of these immigrant piano teachers are so desperate for a work visa, they'll do anything if they can't land a job teaching at a university or conservatory. One of my friends just got her DMA, and if she can't find a tenure-track professorship, she'll most likely end up teaching at a "music school" like this sweatshop and earn less than $20/hour.

Very interesting observations, AZN. Immigrants to desirable countries often prey on their own ethnic group of more recent immigrants. But here in Canada one wouldn't be tied to a job in this way. Your friend could simply open her own studio. (Of course, she might find she has zero students, even though she is no longer an employee.)

B
B
Wow, that's terrible! Imo most music schools are a rip off in general, as the people working in them don't have much experience and are using the students as guinea pigs to learn how to teach before they get out and start teaching on their own.

I would always reccommend going to a professional piano teacher who owns their own business rather than one who is getting paid peanuts in a "music school".

Are the walls between the rooms soundproofed, or is the sound of multiple lessons drifting into the room your daughter is having lessons in?

I'm sure there are lots more issues with this situation than just the photocopied music. Guy sounds like a total shark.

A
A
Sounds ridiculous! Unless the materials that you must buy from him are his own work (like exercises that he made himself and the lessons are based on this) then you should be free to buy books from other sources. I think he is just trying to make extra profit. Sorry to be so negative.

A
A
Sounds ridiculous! Unless the materials that you must buy from him are his own work (like exercises that he made himself and the lessons are based on this) then you should be free to buy books from other sources. I think he is just trying to make extra profit. Sorry to be so negative.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That's a double negative, so they are both cancelled out smile

Rob
A
A
oops, yes you are correct. I feel much better now smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission