2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
I have a Yamaha YUS5 I just got last month. Let me answer that.
The ports don't make it sound too strong. I enjoy it.

P
P
Cool! I ordered a YUS5 Silent. I tried a U1 Silent, but I noticed a non-uniform noise of the keys going up (4-5 keys make more noise than the other), so I decided to take a YUS5 that should be built better. The mechanical response of the U1 Silent seemed too light, unsuited to those who need to study. In one room I have a baby gran Kaway but I can not play freely because of the neighbors. I live in an apartment in the center of Rome (Italy). I am a doctor and the music is my second love (if it continues will become the first). I am studying to get into the conservatory and I have more than 40 aa !!!
How do you feel with this piano?
Can you do the trills (there's a good return of keys?)
Tell me all your impressions and any faults that you observed

many thanks

R
R
I am only a moderate piano player. My main instrument has been guitar for over 30 years.

I will say this....the Yamaha YUS5 has a darker tone than the typical older Yamaha reputation. That being said I absolutely love it. I think it is very unique. My one seems to have a little heavier action which I really prefer. I bought it from a very high end dealer in NYC area. I think you will be very pleased. Eveyone that has played loves those ports by the way.

I would love to start a Yamaha YUS5 fan page here! Good luck!

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
That is a very lovely piano. When I started my search a few months ago, I wanted to try that model and Kawai's K8 but around here no one has either. They only stock the smallest, cheapest uprights. In fact, other than the Steinway dealer's one B and one D, they don't have much in bigger grands, either.

R
R
What area in NY was that Chopin?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Wow! Nice piano! Your post reads like an advertizement pamphlet. Now I want one too!

I'm guessing the switch from aggraffes allows for increased down pressure?

Last edited by Dave B; 05/26/12 03:11 PM.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
R
R
I bought a Yamaha YUS5 and Kawai K8 at the same time.

Similar in concept but very different tonal beasts.

P
P
Out of curiosity, a piano that is born Silent can be converted to pure acoustic by eliminating the bar (or avoid the action of it) and drawing closer the hammers to the strings?
hammers closer to the strings is a complex operation? How long does it take? It can be done by a layman?

In this way I could play with the maximum possible response on the part of the instrument

Last edited by PUMA; 05/27/12 03:55 AM.
P
P
Dear Rafterman, what do you think about your two different pianos? What is about the action of keys ?

R
R
Tha Yamaha YUS5 has a heavier action than MY Kawai K8. I do prefer the heavier action though.

O
O
[/quote]i was thinking wall sconces[quote]

i'm an interior designer and the first sconce is my alltime favorite from Ralph Lauren lighting. i believe they give 20% standard off of their retail list price.

1st lighting, this would be an easy hang and plug-in if you have an outlet behind the piano. you can always get a handy-man to hardwire it into your wall...but i like the (old-school) encased wiring too, gives it some character. you can always walk them into a lighting store and have them change the "on-off" bulb socket to a 3-way, this way when you're not playing at night you can keep it on a low wattage for a nice lighting design effect.

in polished nickel
http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/prod...d=&sort=&itemId=29765&phaid=

the following sconce would like nice as well and would compliment your piano since it resembles a piano lamp in a way. however you might have to get the arms extended. it's an easy under-$100 fix at any lighting store.

in a polished nickel finish:
http://www.ralphlaurenhome.com/prod...d=&sort=&itemId=29780&phaid=

check out eastwestdesignstudio.com for more ideas.

M
M
Big V,

What floor do you have? Is it Brazilian cherry or IPE walnut? Your floor looks very much like mine, and while beautiful to look at, they show any footprint, speck of dust and anything in between!~

Congratulations on your new piano! May you spend hours and hours at it. I know I do at mine and I just wished I didn't have to work so I could spend even more time at my piano...

MC

O
O
[/quote]thinking of a lighting sconce[quote]

given the aesthetics of your beach condo/home i would definitely go with a designer lighting. it will bump your piano's look a notch and make your home look that much better. i'd hate to see a traditional piano lamp for $69 over your piano when you have designer furnishings in your home.

btw, i recently purchased a piano. my room/space was a challenge for a grand and of all the uprights the yus5 was my first choice (well, after the steinway upright grand). however, there was no way in *ell i was going to spend $30k on an upright. just make sure your piano was voiced and regulated properly, it costs $$ but every penny is totally worth the voicing. it's like night and day. and if/when you do get it serviced, ...from my personal experience, let's just say in this case (piano service/technicians) you get what you pay for.

congratulations on your new piano!!

O
O
thinking of a lighting sconce[quote][/quote]

last designer tip:

hang a large vertical abstract frameless-style painting above the YUS5 with an art light on top of the art. and get a portable clip-on battery-and-cord operated orchestra light for playing piano: http://www.mightybright.com/Music-Lights

O
O
[/quote]and get a taller bench.[quote]

nothing looks more professional and sophisticated than a Jansen Concert Bench. u see them in all professional concerts:
http://www.pianobench.com/catalog/70

R
R
When I was searching for information on the Yamaha YUS5 I did a search on Google and your pictures popped up.

They made me drool until the day mine was delivered.
I have similar floors of cherry stained maple that somewhat match the piano.

My Yamaha YUS5 is in a crammed studio room until I move, then hopefully I can relocate it to a nicer part of my house. Great taste you have! (Both in Pianos and decor!)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission