2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Not many seem to do this, but I have seen it immediately win over the audience(or maybe it was just me?). The few I can think offhand that do this are Mei Ting Sun, Jose Ramos Santana, Horowitz, and LL. Most pianists are relatively unsmiling when they first come on stage.

What do you think?

I wouldn't say they "should." It's good if it fits the personality of the performer, but if it doesn't, IMO it's worse than nothing (as if anything else uncomfortable or unnatural for the person). I think some kind of 'engagement' with the audience is good, whether smiling or something else, but I'd say the only bad thing is a demeanor of complete detachment. Anything else is fine.

The only major performer I've ever seen who was a negative in this respect was Lazar Berman, and even he wasn't that bad. He would just come out and take one quick bow, perfunctorily and expressionlessly; likewise on the 'curtain calls.' I found it more amusing that anything else. I figured it just meant that he didn't care for that part of what he had to do.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I would prefer the performer to smile, but that's just me. I like to smile coming on stage.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In general, I feel that pianists do not deliberately cultivate a stage demeanor. What I usually see in recitals, from amateur to high end professionals, seems to be a kind of stage demeanor by default--doing what comes naturally--even if it appears ugly and unflattering to the audience.

To smile or not? I can't answer that for you. It depends on the venue, the sense of occasion, the music to be played, place in the program, and many other considerations--as well as your innate personality. Having said that, I think it's a very important beginning question for anyone whose business is going to involve being on stage.

Tomasino

Last edited by tomasino; 05/28/12 07:31 PM.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by tomasino
[...]even if it is ugly, unflattering, and rude to the audience.
[...]Tomasino

"... ugly, unflattering and rude..."? Really?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by tomasino
What I usually see in recitals, and what I have come to expect to see, is a kind of default stage demeanor. They do what comes naturally--by default--even if it is ugly, unflattering, and rude to the audience.
Tomasino

In that case, they shouldn't even bother to play in front of an audience. Seriously. smokin

Back in the days, I always smiled when walking out on stage - and I was sincere.

And on the rare occasions when I played extremely well I treated the audience and myself to a big GRIN. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have a relatively radical take:

They should smile. They should talk to the audience. They should introduce the pieces they're going to play, talk about them a little bit. The evening should be more than bow-play-bow-walk_offstage-return-repeat. I would like to see the classical world take a note from the small-stage indie pop world and relax some of the ritual formalities of the experience.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Depends on the condition of their teeth.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

They should smile. They should talk to the audience. They should introduce the pieces they're going to play, talk about them a little bit. The evening should be more than bow-play-bow-walk_offstage-return-repeat. I would like to see the classical world take a note from the small-stage indie pop world and relax some of the ritual formalities of the experience.
I think you are right. I took a performance anxiety class and we were told we should smile before (and hopefully after) we play to engage the audience and because it makes you, the pianist, feel more positive about your performance.

It has worked pretty well for me but I've had one summer instructor, (Bruce, I'm talking about Anna), who is an exceptionally gifted pianist but is terrified of performing. She smiles before she plays because she was taught to do that, but on her it looks more like a forced grimace. So maybe smiling isn't for everyone.

Best regards,

Deborah
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I like it when they smile. I don't know if anyone has a nicer smile or stage demeanor than Horowitz did, from the youtube videos I have seen of him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YCSeeMN4I&feature=fvwrel

Lee

I've always done that, and over the years, I've seen that more and more pianists seem to. I don't know if I would have felt free to start doing it when I did if I were at a 'more serious' level; I think being "just an amateur" made me freer to do whatever.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The fact that this is even a question speaks volumes about the State of Classical Music.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, if they are Liberace. No, if they are Gilels or Richter.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I've always done that, and over the years, I've seen that more and more pianists seem to. I don't know if I would have felt free to start doing it when I did if I were at a 'more serious' level; I think being "just an amateur" made me freer to do whatever.

Yes, it's perfectly easy for me to suggest it as an armchair amateur; a much scarier thing to do as an aspiring concert artist. Still, I would have thought that there is so much idiosyncrasy and against-the-grain genius among the truly talented, that some great pianists would have found this kind of informal dynamic to be an important part of sharing their artistry.

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Depends on the condition of their teeth.

LOL

B
B
Pianists should be true to themselves and not put on an artificial smile - certainly not before launching into some gloom-laden work (like Prokofiev's Sonata No.8).

Some pianists play like their stage manner - Michelangeli walks on like a God (or at least an Italian aristocrat), regarding the audience as a mere annoyance to be put up with when he'd rather just play for himself. And his playing is of course glacial perfection.

Others show a great disparity between their platform manner and the way they play: Mikhail Pletnev walks on stage slowly and shyly, almost as if he was embarrassed to be performing, but then does the most outrageous stuff (like playing the start of Mussorgsky's Pictures with one index finger, as if he'd only just learnt to play piano; or playing Balakirev's Islamey as his 3rd encore)....

If music be the food of love, play on!
The evening should be more than bow-play-bow-walk_offstage-return-repeat...

HAH! Totally true. laugh

HSC pieces:
Shostakovich Piano Concerto op 102. movement 1
Chopin Op10 No1
Debussy Broulliards Preludes Bk1
Kats-Chernin Russian Rag
Messiaen Regard d'letoile
Mozart Sonata for 2 pianos D major
i like a smile ... why not.

I also love how Argerich.. strides out, plops down at the piano and immediately starts playing.. i think that is the most charming and delightful in all piano-dom. she doesn't smile unless she just happens to be smiling.. no artifice.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it's best to be natural but that's not always what's popular.

rada

Last edited by rada; 05/29/12 01:00 PM.
O
O
far better is when they cry on stage then smile. It adds some drama to their expressiveness. Smiling is risky, maybe they laugh at audience? who knows...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission