2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Nice list. As you know I don't really agree with everything, but I notice that neither you, or I, said anything directly about the sound or tone.

So let's add HPHI to the list? Hyper Progressive Harmonic Imaging. smile

O
O
A question to those of you who currently own a ca63 or ca93: How is the connectivity to a pc or a Mac? Can you plug in a MacBook through USB, for example, and hear tracks from the Mac on the internal sound system of the DP, as you play along? Does the software on the DP allow for controlling a midi keyboard smoothly without a time lag or other issues?

Of course it's possible to buy a kind of a midi "sound box" and run everything through there... But then again, everything costs money smile

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

"It is reasonable to disagree, it is unreasonable to be disagreeable ... "

Sometimes, on any Forum, people go a bit too far. After all, like noses, we all have opinions.

Yes, I had another list somewhere that mentioned The Sound.

- Sooper Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging SUPHI
- Eight levels of samples - per Note

- Shigeru Kawai
- Regular Concert Kawai
- Steinway Concert Grand

And, if Marketing is really Brave ...

- Bosendorfer Grand
- Yamaha Grand

Why not?

- Like Yamaha, each key is weghted seperately

As you mention, a fancier mechanical Action that includes the Jack and total mechanical adjustable using ABS (or whatever) plastics

I do believe the Soundboard would be "nicer" and have a better tone than vinyl/cheap plywood. If nothing else, it would justify the higher cost.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
B
B
I've had a CA93 for about 1 year now. I record midi files from the kawai directly to my Windows PC using Cubase and a standard USB cable and it's a lot easier than using midi cables.
Generally no problems but sometimes I need to turn off and on the kawai or restart Cubase if the two stop talking to each other.
As I record I listen via headphones on my PC (Dell Studio portable; nothing special, ASIOALL drivers)

My wishlist for new Kawai:
Better repeating notes

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Oh, another niceity.

Instead of having to make the Virtual Technician settings, or when Layering two sounds using the CheekBlock, or any other settings possible with the CheekBlock.

Have the ability to set a computer beside the piano and with a USB Cable, "talk" directly to the Firmware and Memory. Making the settings on the computer keyboard, which plops it into the piano.

Nice, really nice ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
So essentially you'd be using a computer to control the CA's settings?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
James

Kind of. Sometimes, what someone can do on a Keyboard is alot easier and better than what one can do on a CheekBlock as on the CA93.

So, view the Computer Program as augmenting the CheekBlock and as an accessory not a replacement.

Case in point. You want to go on a long driving vacation with lots of stops for sightseeing etc. You have a GPS that can accept WiFi and Usb etc from a computer. They provide software that allows you to map out your trip with keyboard, mouse and a large monitor rather than fumbling around the onboard Led Touchscreen.

Map out the stops and routes, Click The Button, and it is loaded into the GPS just as tho you keyed it in the hard way.

As the settings and combinations will gain in complexity, a subordinate program may make our pianos alot easier to manage.

Thanks

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
Online Content
Thanks for the additional explanation Jon.

It's an interesting suggestion. A software-based registration/settings file editor may theoretically be possible, however I'm not sure if 'real-time' control over the instrument could be achieved with the existing hardware.

Cheers,
James
x

O
O
Originally Posted by bouleetbille
I've had a CA93 for about 1 year now. I record midi files from the kawai directly to my Windows PC using Cubase and a standard USB cable and it's a lot easier than using midi cables.
Generally no problems but sometimes I need to turn off and on the kawai or restart Cubase if the two stop talking to each other.
As I record I listen via headphones on my PC (Dell Studio portable; nothing special, ASIOALL drivers)

My wishlist for new Kawai:
Better repeating notes

Thanks! That's good to know. The ideal solution would still be to be able to hear the tracks one has recorded from the internal sound system of the DP when its connected to the PC, I think. That way one could make do solely with the headphones on. Cause you have to listen to the music from the PC in your headphones, and play on the Kawai with the speakers on? I know that Casio AP-620 has this feature - the software on the DP recognizes audio output from a connected device and can "blend it" in the mix - so thats why I'm asking.

But I can solve this problem with a "sound box". It's just a bit more hassle, and a bit more expensive.

O
O
Bouletbille, I realize that I misunderstood you. You proably hear both your recorded tracks and the new track that you're playing on the kawai through your pc, right? That makes sense. And that way the problem's actually solved!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
James

No, not Real Time. Just a useful way to make settings etc alot easier. Then, unplug the cord, turn towards the Piano, and use them. Would also be a neat way to provide backup.

Updates, to the Piano's Firmware would be made the usual way. Updates to the Computer Program would be Downloads from the Net.

Next Stage after this one?

WiFi and no cord ... Tee Hee Hee ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
D
D
Originally Posted by oivavoi
A question to those of you who currently own a ca63 or ca93: How is the connectivity to a pc or a Mac? Can you plug in a MacBook through USB, for example, and hear tracks from the Mac on the internal sound system of the DP, as you play along? Does the software on the DP allow for controlling a midi keyboard smoothly without a time lag or other issues?

Of course it's possible to buy a kind of a midi "sound box" and run everything through there... But then again, everything costs money smile

Mine's an MP10, but it's the same connectivity options. If you're referring to MIDI then yes, you can send MIDI commands from your MacBook through USB and play along. If you want to send audio (say an MP3 you want to play along with) then you can do that too, but not through USB. You'll need to take your MacBook's audio out and hook it up to the ca93's line in.

Still, both can be done fairly painlessly.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
Online Content
The MP10 can play MP3 files directly from USB memory too. wink

James
x

B
B
Still, as there are speakers that connect to the PC through USB, it would be nice to be able to use the Kawai CA65's speakers through the USB connection. A lot more simple, especially since laptops don't have audio out ports other than headphone.

Last edited by Bogs; 05/29/12 03:04 PM.

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
Online Content
Yes, that would be pretty handy. However, I don't believe it's possible with the current hardware. The 'USB to Host' connector is intended for sending/receiving MIDI, while the 'USB to Device' connector can only be used for loading/saving data to USB.

It's true that most laptops do not feature proper Line Out connectors, however I suspect for most uses, the headphone output into the instrument's Line In will be perfectly fine.

Cheers,
James
x

D
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The MP10 can play MP3 files directly from USB memory too. wink

James
x

Very true, I actually quite like the feature (especially being able to set loop points)

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
K
Kos Offline
K
Some new info:
Kawai CA65 Digital Piano Launched

All in all it sounds like a typical marketing bs:

"All new" harmonic imaging XL sound generator
"All new" grand-feel key action with let off
Third sensor
256 polyphony

One thing caught my eye though:
it greatly expands upon the size of waveforms and dedicated sample ram of its older sibling

No more 1 second samples? Sounds too good to be true...

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kos
All in all it sounds like a typical marketing bs:

"All new" harmonic imaging XL sound generator

So there we have it. HIXL usurps the throne previously held by UPHI. So the marketing surrounding the new ES7 declaring it as the best thing since sliced bread cannot be justified, since it now uses a sound engine (PHI) two generations removed from the latest. Unless these acronyms mean absolutely nothing, Kawai has cemented the policy of rationing their sample sets so that those who want portable machines are stuck with lower quality. Gee, thanks Kawai!

Sorry for the OT rant, but I for one am very tired of this kind of thing. Many people on this forum (including me) have commented on the shortcomings of the current PHI samples, but it seems that Kawai has a certain amount of disdain for their gigging customers. However, those who are privileged enough to receive the blessings of HIXL - i.e. home and college users, will probably enjoy a significantly improved and more detailed piano sound.

One thing caught my eye though:
it greatly expands upon the size of waveforms and dedicated sample ram of its older sibling

No more 1 second samples? Sounds too good to be true...

I hope it is true. But for me and my needs, other manufacturers are looking more attractive right now.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by voxpops
So the marketing surrounding the new ES7 declaring it as the best thing since sliced bread cannot be justified, since it now uses a sound engine (PHI) two generations removed from the latest. Unless these acronyms mean absolutely nothing, Kawai has cemented the policy of rationing their sample sets so that those who want portable machines are stuck with lower quality. Gee, thanks Kawai!

Sorry for the OT rant, but I for one am very tired of this kind of thing. Many people on this forum (including me) have commented on the shortcomings of the current PHI samples, but it seems that Kawai has a certain amount of disdain for their gigging customers.

Good point. You have to give credit to Roland and Casio, who in effect equip all or certainly most of their pianos with the best sounds they can make at the time. Kawai still use the old, old, old Harmonic Imaging engine in a couple of their cheaper models - and it is really so far behind the curve as to be embarrassing.

M
M
More details and sound samples on Kawai Europe

http://www.kawai.de/ca65_en.htm

http://www.kawai.de/ca95_en.htm

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission