2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
60 registered members (CyberGene, Animisha, Darkwasp, aphexdisklavier, ChatNoir, Dave Horne, Beemer, clothearednincompo, 14 invisible), 436 guests, and 382 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902008 05/23/12 06:40 PM
Amaruk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all your kind words regarding my performance!!

For those of you who wonder why I don't play on my AP that you see in the background of my video I can say that there is a simple explanation for that. With small kids in the family it not always that easy to get the silence required for a recording session with the grand piano (I need many takes as the red dot freaks me out...) Thus, the DP offers the advantage that I can record directly onto the USB stick. But as you can see I don't use headphones.... how can that be? Well, I actually hook my DP to a small computer speaker (not shown) so that I can hear myself while playing. This sound is then picked up by the video camera and used for syncing with the audio from the DP and when that is done the video sound is muted.

My third batch of reviews...

1. Wouter79
That seems to be a very hard piece!! Very well played. 12 pages memorized… gosh! That is impressive!! Do you plan on keeping it in memory? Do you have more pieces memorized at the moment? I am trying to keep my simple 3-4 page pieces in my memory as I play my old ones on a regular basis. I try to add a new piece a month.

4. Ladypane
Simply antastic! I don't know what is more impressive; your playing or the fact that you composed this piece. I loved it!!

5. Jazzwee
Improvised??? Well, that is quite the talent you have there! I like how playful this sounds and it is a great song. Great job!

6. Riddler
This is the first time I hear Pianotec in action. I can't understand the bad reviews I have read about it as I think it sounds great. Your playing? Relaxed, smooth, and a pleasure to listen to! Thanks for sharing!!

7. Super Hunky
So many original pieces we have here… and yet another fantastic one! Topped off with top-notch performance too! I feel very thankful that pianists like you are part of pianoworld! It is very inspiring!!

12. Recaredo
This piece sounds like a lot of fun to play. Bach is such a master of music!! You play so vividly which really makes the music come to life! Thanks for sharing!!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902042 05/23/12 07:54 PM
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
16. Carlos- I was intrigued by what you had to say about this piece. Very neat that you improvised on top of what you read. I can really tell how much you got into this. There is a real groove that pulls you in.... You have a wonderful natural way of playing. (Nicely recorded too!)

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902052 05/23/12 08:37 PM
lyricmudra Offline
My last batch of comments:

36. DadAgain's Daughter - Woodland Sketch

Wow! Such consistency and evenness at such a young age! There is also attention to musicality! A very bright future ahead in piano, I should predict.

37. Sam S - Song Without Words opus 53 #5

Excellent playing! You’ve presented a complete picture and it is seamless from start to finish. You also play this piece with mastery, confidence, and passion.

38. LizAnne - Boat on Tai Lake

Your phrasing does evoke the Oriental character of the piece. This is played sensitively and musically! Congratulations on the new piano, too!

39. WiseBuff - Il Carnevale de Venezia

Wow! Such a delightful take on this childhood song. It almost sounds like a music box. I love the sound of your piano!

40. DadAgain - Preludes 2&3

The phrasings for these two preludes are spot on! Both are such difficult pieces and you’ve mastered the notes and technique so well. Your playing of the second prelude is particularly impressive. Just a suggestion (and you can take it or leave it): try not to hold your breath on those last very fast passages. I noticed that you gave that sigh of exhalation at the end. :-) You will find that if you don’t hold your breath, you will not tighten up and will be able to play those very difficult parts much more rapidly and smoothly since you already mastered the technical part. :-)

41. Bessel - Minuet

Despite how very short the piece is, you have been able to evoke its delicacy. I would have loved to hear more! 

42. lyricmudra - On Wings of Song (Auf Flugeln des Gesanges)

Oh, that’s me! I planned to play the middle section differently in terms of phrasing and dynamics, but it didn’t happen. I was in frantic mode. :-)

43. dannylux / Mel - Reverie d'Amour

This is the first time I’ve heard this piece. It is, indeed, rich and lyrical, and you conveyed those so well in your playing. Excellent phrasing, dynamics, technique! A complete package!

44. Bunneh - Nocturne In Eb, op.9 No. 2

Excellent use of rubato in this Chopin piece! You have mastered the requisite technique and have been able to deliver this musically as well. Captivating from start to finish! Beautiful sound of your piano!

45. Copper - Humming Song

So delightfully and delicately played!

46. Augustina - Arriety's Song

You managed to bring out the melody quite well relative to the accompaniment. The only area of improvement is in keeping the tempo more consistent and fluid.

47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous

The melody emerges prominently and it is beautiful. I understand this is still a work in progress. Some suggestions: to play the ornamentation more delicately (not to emphasize it too much), and to keep the tempo and beat more consistent. Otherwise, you are on your way to succeeding!

48. Mar_red - My Way

Wonderful phrasing of this melody! The accompaniment also gives it a lilting quality.

49. Starr Keys - Get Here

Beautiful voice! There is certain poignancy in the performance that is enhanced by the digital instrumentation you chose.

50. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - American Beauty Theme (Any Other Name)

Yes, there is a haunting quality in this theme and you conveyed that quite well in your playing. Somehow the out-of-tune piano gave the sound some quaint and mysterious quality.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902114 05/23/12 11:34 PM
lyricmudra Offline
casinitaly, Sam S, SwissMS, Recaredo, Bunneh, bessel, Starr Keys, TX-Dennis, Andy Platt, Amaruk, Inlanding, CarlosCC, MaryBee, WiseBuff, CMohr, jazzwee, and wouter79:

Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging comments you've made about my first recital piece!! :-)

Sincerely,

lyricmudra

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #1902206 05/24/12 05:42 AM
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
16. Carlos- I was intrigued by what you had to say about this piece. Very neat that you improvised on top of what you read. I can really tell how much you got into this. There is a real groove that pulls you in.... You have a wonderful natural way of playing. (Nicely recorded too!)

Wow, Peyton, given your large experience, this comment just let me amazed and motivated.
Your words: "You have a wonderful natural way of playing" will stay in my mind. Thank you very much for your kind words.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CarlosCC] #1902371 05/24/12 12:34 PM
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Wow, Peyton, given your large experience, this comment just let me amazed and motivated.
Your words: "You have a wonderful natural way of playing" will stay in my mind. Thank you very much for your kind words.

Aw shucks.... blush I wish I could play half as well as some of the work I hear in these recitals. But you are welcome and thank you for the compliment.

And many thanks to all you so far that have commented on my piece. Like Carlos, some of what you have had to say has really made my day. I don't know how the rest of you feel but I am probably my own worst critic and to get so much positive feedback really helps me feel better with my playing.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902420 05/24/12 02:47 PM
B
bessel Offline
B
Slowly working my way through... I've done more listening than this, but at times when I can't write comments (eg doing dishes)... great job everyone!

----------------

30. Amaruk - La Dispute
Very cool intro! Loved the melodica - had to google it to find out what it was! Nice flow in the piano playing, very musical. Congrats!

31. Teodor - Invention #13
I've heard people talk about Bach's inventions... now I see why, that's a lot of notes in a short time. Sounds like a finger-tangler... I'm impressed.

32. TX-Dennis / Dennis Turner - Over the Rainbow
Very nice - I like how well you handle the dynamics... such a delicate ending. My ham-fisted playing can't do that yet...

33. Little_Blue_Engine - Gymnopedie no.1
To me this piece sounds like part of a moody film score... I'd be afraid to play too much of this for fear of getting depressed. smile I think you did a good job of capturing that slow, reflective mood...

34. CMohr - God Bless The Child
I don't know this song, have only heard Billie Holiday a few times, but your playing brought out a lot of soul in this song... this is a style that I'd love to eventually try, when I've had my fill of classical music. smile But I can't imagine doing it from a lead sheet!

35. notbach - WTC Book 1 - Prelude No. 1 in C major (BWV 846)
Wow, this is fantastic, sounds wonderful, and after only 1 year playing? You and your piano both sound great. Well done.

36. DadAgain's Daughter - Woodland Sketch
Great job! Not only is this piece really complicated (to my ear!), but you played it with such great confidence, and sensitivity... fantastic. Keep up the great work!

What a great variety of sounds... the back and forth between the "big chords" and melodies is nice. I really liked your dynamics, too, well done!

38. LizAnne - Boat on Tai Lake
Congratulations on re-starting your piano playing! Very smoothly played, nice consistent rhythm, great coordination between the hands - wonderful job. And I really like the song!

39. WiseBuff - Il Carnevale de Venezia
Very nice - I think your playing fit your description of a gondola journey that gently rocks" very well.

---------

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902608 05/24/12 09:02 PM
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
42. Lyrcmudra- Wow. Absolutely beautiful. Your touch is so fluid. Everything about your playing of this piece just leaves me speechless. You make those high notes on the second page (so Liszt) seem effortless. Bravo!!!!

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1902640 05/24/12 10:11 PM
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Finally getting around to some comments. Once again I'll probably be the last one commenting when the thread is long forgotten!

01. wouter79 - Fantasia (Op.58) Very clean and precise sounding. Very nice job.

02. Andy Platt - Fur Elise Also very clean sounding, played with a lot of control.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton] #1902684 05/25/12 12:12 AM
lyricmudra Offline
42. Lyrcmudra- Wow. Absolutely beautiful. Your touch is so fluid. Everything about your playing of this piece just leaves me speechless. You make those high notes on the second page (so Liszt) seem effortless. Bravo!!!!

Thank you so much, Peyton! Your words are very encouraging and validating. Yes, those high notes in the middle and last sections were a challenge. Leaping towards those notes in the upper register was an act of blind faith (hit or miss!). :-) What made it worse was that each and every high note was immediately preceded not by a single note but by an octave down in the middle register that was playing a part in the melody! I begin to believe now that Liszt was a torturer. :-)

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903185 05/25/12 09:42 PM
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
03. Monica K. - Release The title is interesting. To me it doesn't feel so much like a release musically as the anticipation of a release, like its working up to that moment. Very well done.

04. Ladypayne - Wild SongVery pretty, sounds like it could be movie music. I like the mood change part way through.

05. Jazzwee - Sugar Very cool and professional sounding. My mind works in weird ways sometimes and right now I'm imagining the Peanuts gang in dapper suits and cocktail gowns.

06. Riddler (Ed) - Pannonica I'm not familiar with this one but Its sounds great. Another "sophisticated" sounding piece, but minus the imagined Peanuts characters.

07. Mr Super-Hunky - Early Morning Breakers Very nice, I can picture kids running up and down getting splashed by water coming over the rocks.

08. BenPiano - Gavotta in D Minor L58 K64 It sounds like it would be difficult, I think you did great.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903263 05/26/12 12:38 AM
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
casinitaly, SwissMS, Andy Platt, TX-Dennis, Peyton, Bunneh, Sam S, Mile Hi Steve, WiseBuff, wouter79, jazzwee, Recaredo, Inlanding, CMohr, Starr Keys, CarlosCC, and lyricmudra:

Thank you all for listening to my submission and for leaving feedback. These pieces were especially rewarding to perform; although they were in many ways simpler than others I've worked on, there seemed to be more emotional response to them. It was so interesting to hear how you all felt about them, and I loved how everyone had different favorites.

Your playing is inspiring
That is a heart-warming compliment from you, since your playing inspires me!

Originally Posted by wouter79
I think you got the right hang of playing Satie's music, it has some kind of slow swing to it that I think is critical to get right.
I wish I knew what I had done! With this set, I approached it with less thinking, but more feeling. So I didn't really think too hard about what I was doing.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
It probably requires some advanced pedalling here. Half-pedal...
I haven't gotten to that in my lessons yet. Someday we might... and then I can come back to this again. smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903290 05/26/12 02:06 AM
D
DadAgain Offline
D
Thanks to everyone for kind comments. Last week daughter took part in 5 different piano divisions of a local eisteddfod and came away with 2 second places, a third place and 2 high commendations. We just received a call to say that she got awarded an 'Encouragement Bursary Award' for consistently high attainments and potential - So she's pretty happy with that (most of her competitors were 3 or 4 years older than her!)

Her next batch of pieces start now and I can't wait to see what she's going to do with them - I guess you'll all see and hear In the next (A)BF recital!

As for me - now we've tuned the piano Im struggling to stop playing it - but am not at all sure I can get anything 'performance ready' in the next 10 weeks or so... I seem to have a LOT of half baked repertoire that never really gets polished.

.. It also remains to be seen wether I can sneak the funds to get a decent recording solution for next time.... (torn between $300 for a H4N which might he more flexible for future if i want to record piano and violin and use external mics too.... or whether to go cheap and try H2N for $200)

Great recital to listen too though - some fantastic playing and lovely to hear some styles that I wouldn't ordinarily seek out. I loved all the cool jazz.. I've always been in complete awe of people who can do that - the heady mix of intellectual music with the life force and spontaneity of DIY interpretation - it seems potentially so much more rewarding than the straight 'regurgutate and reproduce' thing that can be 'classical' music.

Well done all - I'd like to comment individually but I'd be afraid of offending if I tried offering anything constructive and can't really add much more than has already been said before in terms of congratulating everyone for getting up and having a go,

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903306 05/26/12 02:53 AM
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
18. RedKat - Prelude Op.28 N.6 - First of all, brilliantly played! I have yet to study most of Chopin's works carefully, nor Scriabin's, but I can hear in this piece where Scriabin received some of his early influence. Thank you for playing and sharing this treasure!

26. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Waltz OP 39 N. 13 - Loved the video - your playing was fantastic and the images have no equal over here. :-)

28. ClavBoy - Sarabande in D minor - Nice job with this long piece! The powers that be seem to grade pieces on technical difficulty, but seem to forget that the longer a piece is, the harder it is! Well done!

29. Mile Hi Steve - Joy - it sounds like you have this down - really well done!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: BenPiano] #1903319 05/26/12 04:16 AM
C
ClavBoy Offline
C
Originally Posted by BenPiano

but seem to forget that the longer a piece is, the harder it is! Well done!

Thanks for your nice comment, struggling with that problem with the Bach Prelude...

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903914 05/27/12 12:58 PM
R
raptor Offline
R
Thanks to everyone that commented on my recital piece. I didn't expect to get so much feedback and it's been very motivating reading all the comments. smile

Sorry it's taken a long time to respond. There were so many comments, and I've been quite busy at work lately.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Just wanted to say, before listening to the pieces, I'm LOVING seeing all the names of who's playing in this, what the pieces are and the great write-ups about them.

BTW, to Raptor: Don't worry, Chopin's A minor posthumous waltz is not easy!!
(And I wouldn't say it's his easiest piece.)

Thanks for the encouragement. I was under the impression it was one of his easiest pieces, but if it isn't i'm feeling better about being able to somewhat play it this time around even if I wasn't able to sort out polishing it up.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous I’m working on this piece now and had (in my dreams!) hoped to post it for this recital, but I wasn’t ready. You’ve made a very good start on what is not at all an “easy” piece, though it might be a relatively easy Chopin piece. Congrats on your progress, and please, do let us hear it again when you’ve had more time to work on it!!!!!!

Thanks casinitaly! I'll definitely keep working on it and polishing it up. Lately I am starting to make less mistakes on the waltz but progress is still slow.

Originally Posted by Sam S
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous Memorized! I'm not sure that the angry yellow bird staring at you goes with the mood of the waltz though. I think you did a great job with it.

Thanks Sam! It's the hardest song i've attempted so far, but am glad to be able to play something resembling it.

The yellow bird is probably angry because it had to listen to all of the mistakes I've been making when practicing for the recital.

Originally Posted by SwissMS
47. Raptor -Waltz in A Minor – Great job on this beautiful waltz. It is hard to rush a piece to performance, but you did a pretty good job. I like the feel that you give the piece.

Thanks. I was really trying to decide whether to post it or to hold back and leave it till the next recital as I couldn't play it up to my expectations. I'm glad that you liked the feel of the piece.

Originally Posted by Recaredo
Raptor, I see you have been working on this waltz for only one month, but the result is really good. I think you are doing great progresses on the piano in little time. Congrats Raptor!

Really? I was panicking when I saw how little time I had to work on it and when I realized how hard it actually was. However after putting the effort into learning it, I do feel more confident at learning the more challenging songs.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bessel
This is really nice. I'm learning more about Chopin as time goes on... recognized this but don't know it well enough - like it a lot. You played it very well... inspiring given how recently you started.

Thanks! I'm also new to Chopin, but after hearing lots of other Chopin in the recitals, I wanted to also learn a piece.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903915 05/27/12 12:59 PM
R
raptor Offline
R
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
#47 – Raptor – Didn’t mind the mistakes at all and you make even some of the hesitations seem musical. You certainly are talented!

Thanks Starr Keys! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
47 raptor Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous, Chopin
Well, we all know that even "easy" Chopin pieces ain't easy. Gotta love memory lapses. My memory is just one big lapse these days. This sounds pretty nice, and with a bit more work it will be even better.

Thanks! I had totally underestimated the piece in terms of difficulty. It is a longer piece than I'm used to playing, so it was terrible with the memory lapses. Maybe I should learn to try play a piece from the sheet instead of memorizing to avoid memory lapses. Although for this piece, it's too difficult for me to sightread.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous Another piece on my "to do" list - I lumber through it badly. You make it all sound very easy so. Perhaps a teeny bit less pedal (always very difficult) with Chopin. The main theme was brought out very nicely and overall was very enjoyable.

Ah! I didn't realize I used the pedal too much but I can hear it now. After experimenting with the pedal lately, I still find it really hard to control the pedal. I'll have to keep experimenting with it.

I also love the main theme, I think that was the main part I worked on as it was so enjoyable to listen to it when playing. Everything else was.. uh oh.. another hard part coming up. smile

Originally Posted by wouter79
raptor
Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous
technical:
clipping: a few times at louder notes, eg around 1:30 and a few times at the end.
balance L/R: ok
noise: little
bass: sounds all fine
depth of field: ok, but hard to hear with so much pedal
piano sound: ok

musical:
overall impression, like: it starts off good; nice pace, with a nice and relaxed sound. But as you announced, some flubs and it starts to get really troublesome at the end with some major flubs. This piece really is worth spending some extra time on for polishing. Since you already have it memorized and you're well on the way, that polishing should really be the fun part.
Phrasing: I think the phrases could be brought out a bit clearer;
rubato, speed changes: appropriate
Dynamics: could be expanded some
articulation: too much pedal for me, I think it would be better to back off from it. But I understand that at this point you want to fill up a few hickups and they would be much more obvious with less pedal.

Thanks for the detailed feedback wouter!
I like the feedback format you use.

It sounds like the recording setup I have is decent. Last time I had problems with recordings that were too quiet, so I'm happy this one turned out better.

A big thanks for pointing out some of the things I can work on like phrasing, dynamics and pedaling. I'll definitely work on those when polishing up the piece.

Originally Posted by Amaruk
Performer's name: raptor
Title of piece: Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous
Composer: Chopin

Another great classic! Very impressive considering you did this in three weeks and memorized too! You play very well! My kids love your angry bird too. They tell me it is the kind that goes faster after you press it. What kind of mic is it that you are using? It looks very fancy and your recording sounds great!

Thanks! I like the angry bird too! I am using a Yeti microphone made by a company called Blue. It's a fancy looking USB condenser microphone that seems to work well with my iPad. I am quite happy with the recording it makes and I love the look of it.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
Nicely played raptor. No one really pays attention to wrong notes and I will of course not notice any. The only obvious issue is that you're not releasing the pedal. So there's a lot of muddiness. Once you solve that, it sounds pretty good. There's nice tone and expressiveness here.

Ah! It seems my pedaling is something that I need to work on. After listening to it now I can also hear it. I think my mind was too occupied with trying to recall of the correct notes to even notice the pedaling. I will work on this as my next to do item for this piece.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903916 05/27/12 01:00 PM
R
raptor Offline
R
Originally Posted by Inlanding
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous Great work on this Waltz. There is nothing easy about this one. You bring out many of its subtleties and over time, you will start to express more and more of them as the music becomes even more familiar to you. Very impressive Really good work.

Thank you! Your comment is very encouraging. smile

Originally Posted by CMohr
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous First of all, this is not the easiest Chopin. You've done a fine job and memorizing it too. I think you certainly have a good foundation here. My only suggestion would be to ease up a little on the pedal so that it's a little crisper. Since you have this memorized, it's just short work to smooth out those "red dot" areas smile. Very nice!

Thanks, I learnt a lot from attempting this piece. I'll work on the pedal and the red dot areas. Hopefully it is short work to sort out those parts. smile

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous You're well on your way to knowing this one...it's harder than it looks to get the left hand landing just right on the chords with the right tension. Thank you for sharing your progress on it.

You're right about it being difficult to land the hand in the right spot. In my previous recordings, my head was constantly turning left and right looking between my hands to make sure they would land on the correct keys.

It took a lot of practicing each part by feel only so I didn't have to rely on looking at everything when playing with both hands.

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous - raptor, you were brave to play this piece. I imagine how you must have worked to achieve this interesting execution. Congratulations.

Thank you! It was a great experience. I'm glad I put in the effort to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by MaryBee
47. raptor - Chopin Waltz in A Minor posthumous You may have some rough spots, but you did great with the ornaments. I think those make this piece stand out. I think it's worth putting in the effort on a piece this beautiful. (Is there such a thing as an easy Chopin piece?)

I have to thank my piano teacher for that. I actually didn't have the ornaments ready until about 2 days before submitting. Before that I was playing them as if they were normal notes adjusting the rhythm of the piece to fit in the extra notes. My piano teacher noticed that and gave me some exercises to practice them.

I still think they sound are a bit rushed and need a bit more practice to be clearer, but it sounds a lot better than how I was playing it before.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903917 05/27/12 01:00 PM
R
raptor Offline
R
Originally Posted by lyricmudra
The melody emerges prominently and it is beautiful. I understand this is still a work in progress. Some suggestions: to play the ornamentation more delicately (not to emphasize it too much), and to keep the tempo and beat more consistent. Otherwise, you are on your way to succeeding!

Thanks for the advice lyricmudra!
I listened to it again and I think I need to work on keeping the ornamentation under control first so I can play it more delicately.

As for tempo, I did speed up and slow down a lot. I'll try to work on the consistent tempo and beat by practicing the piece at a slower pace and see if that helps.

Re: Recital #26 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1903946 05/27/12 02:10 PM
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

On the theory of better late than never, a few more comments:

25. Grouchomarx - Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2
Beautifully played, GM, it's one of the greatest melodies and I really loved listening to it.

32. TX-Dennis / Dennis Turner - Over the Rainbow
Way to go, Dennis, excellent playing. One of my favorites, played with real feeling. BTW, that key change was really cool.

33. Little_Blue_Engine - Gymnopedie no.1
I love this piece too, well done, very listenable.

34. CMohr - God Bless The Child
This feels really good, just the right approach. That ending sure took me by surprise - very inventive.

35. notbach - WTC Book 1 - Prelude No. 1 in C major (BWV 846)
Excellent, I think you have nailed it. One of the great compositions, played with real skill.

Perfect!!! Really, I was kinda hopin' you'd make a mistake or two, so as to not show us up. Great idea to put the score on the video, very interesting.

40. DadAgain - Preludes 2&3
Bravo! A couple of my favs, back to back. I have struggled through #2 myself, and remember how difficult it was for me, but you play both like an expert. Well done.

42. lyricmudra - On Wings of Song (Auf Flugeln des Gesanges)
Absolutely beautiful, it is like entering another - better - world. I was looking forward to your recital input and was not at all disapointed. BTW, I too am often taken in by music I can remember my mother playing so long ago,it can really be a very moving experience.

44. Bunneh - Nocturne In Eb, op.9 No. 2
One of the great classics, played with real feeling. Well done. And please, keep participating!

Also, thanks to all who listened to my piece, I appreciate it.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  BB Player 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
World Piano Day livestream
by Tyrone Slothrop - 03/28/20 12:42 PM
YouTube : DeutscheGrammophe
by Pianoperformance - 03/28/20 11:12 AM
Piano meetup pandemic recital
by KevinM - 03/28/20 11:06 AM
Stephen Hough and Covid 19
by gooddog - 03/28/20 09:54 AM
Rust spots on strings
by Deltajockey - 03/28/20 08:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,744
Posts2,939,629
Members96,385
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission