2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

You have all the notes correct on the Classical Dance. Here's a thought on expression for it -- what would it sound like if you lightened up on beat 2? Right now it sounds like you're stabbing it, and emphasizing it more than any of the other beats. I'm thinking of something almost like a sigh on beat 2 -- three ONE {sigh} three and ONE {sigh} etc.

I can't seem to find a sample recording on youtube or internet... so I typed the first few measures of Classical Dance in a software that can generate MIDI, does this sound right?

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
F
F
OK am I correct in my understanding that the CDs don't have examples of the pieces being played, but instead are accompanying tracks?

However, I am finding a lot of 5 and 6 year olds on YouTube who are happy to show me how the pieces are supposed to sound. Most of 'em anyway, this kid seems a little ambivalent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuyutsh0yWU

Yamaha P95
Just starting "piano advantures" - at page 50-60-odd.
A
A
I'm learning to play Don't Cry For Me Argentina in the Piano Adventures kiddie book 2b. It's fun..it's just the left hand is always lagging behind.

F
F
I think getting the hands to work together is a problem we all have as newbs.

It's funny, I have the 2B "kiddie" book and I can't find that song in it.

I didn't realize there are 4 books for each level, plus three more supplemental ones.

It's like comic books, gotta have 'em all ... comic books you can play!

Yamaha P95
A
A
Yes Don't Cry for me Argentina is in one of the supplemental books, maybe the performance book. It's fun to use them all.

F
F
Yes! I am looking at buying ALL the books for each level, and starting over at Level 1. Buying all 7 for each level still isn't that much money.

The adult book is cool, but it doesn't have a song about getting up early to eat the leftover popcorn and darn it if Mom didn't feed it to the duck! With an illustration! The duck's the size of a goose - I'd not mess with him!

The kiddie books seem like a much more thorough course of instruction than the adult ones. And there's such a sense of *fun* in them.

Yamaha P95
A
A
I found the learning curve from piece to piece to0 steep in the adult books. I'm really enjoying the Junior Series and I do find each piece is gradually more difficult..but not too difficult..and the songs are really nice. In the chords book 2b there are great pieces. I don't find this stuff childish at all and like you, I enjoy the drawings.

Last edited by alans; 05/17/12 10:53 AM.
I restarted accelerated book 2 and here are some recordings... welcome any feedback!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing

Rustic Dance: saw a youtube video , wow, how can he play that fast... should I try to play up to his tempo? I don't think I can though... I personally like this version (start at 4'08") better, 4 hands sound richer!

faster Rustic Dance:)

I was having trouble playing American Fiddle Tune (Turkey in the Straw) at 160 bpm. But after the faster Rustic Dance, the Turkey seems able to dance faster too! Good exercise for me...

American Fiddle Tune (Turkey in the Straw): F major position and transposition to C

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress too!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
F
F
That's one fine turkey in that straw!

I just ... just? OK 2 weeks ago, got "all" the Level 1 books, the 4 core books and Popular Repertoire and Gold Star Performance I think, and while I've been really swamped with keeping up the place here (a very busy 5 acres) and doing lab work, and not getting practice in, I've read through 'em and wow. The kiddie books seem to go into things in more depth, more on technique, and feeling, and thinking about music (disguised as "Mouse Missions" of course) I'm just really impressed.

Right now speaking from my own naive at best viewpoint, I'd recommend any adult to get the kiddie books and start with Primer level if you're a musical newb, and have fun being a kid again complete with colorful pictures and Mouse Missions.

(I get some relief from the work when the land owner's back in 3 weeks, and my fail-safe plan is to sign up for piano class at the local jr. college. I'll be overjoyed if they use Faber material.)

Yamaha P95
I need to get a teacher again. I have slacked off of working on the Faber material. I have started chugging away at the All in One book 2 again. Funny thing is......I really like it! I am still hoping to get through the level 2 and move onto the level 3 books. I still practice quite a bit, but I have been engrossed in my Joplin material.

Piano obsession started November 2010.
Ragtime Butcher
Kayserburg U123
[Linked Image]
R
R
Hello again, everyone!

fingerspitzngefuhl, the kid's books really are a valuable approach you will appreciate forever.

Wish4Thing, I love your recordings! I have to get myself a MIDI cable to start making my own for "future generations".

Well, I have quite the amount of homework this week - and I love it - with Parasailing, Pumpkin Boogie and New World Symphony Theme. I'm fine with quarter notes, my real job is to get the pedalling right.

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

You have all the notes correct on the Classical Dance. Here's a thought on expression for it -- what would it sound like if you lightened up on beat 2? Right now it sounds like you're stabbing it, and emphasizing it more than any of the other beats. I'm thinking of something almost like a sigh on beat 2 -- three ONE {sigh} three and ONE {sigh} etc.

Here is the rework of the Classical Dance smile Does this sound better (or worse blush ) than the old recording ? Thanks!

fingerspitzngefuhl and ragtimefordrones: thanks for the nice words about my recordings, hope to hear yours some day:)

ragtimefordrones: I think we started the same book at about the same time, you surely progressed alot faster, nice job!

fingerspitzngefuhl: I "inherited" my current Faber book for older beginner from a friend... she also has 3A. I hope I will have chance to get to 3A some day, and that's the regular book for kids, right?:)

I went to Mexico for vacation for 8 days, no touch on piano... and won't have much time for piano for next couple of weeks because of work frown Meanwhile, I also wandered off the Faber's book to play some of the easy pieces on gmajormusictheory.org, it's fun!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
L
L
I had picked up 2 of the Chordtime Books level 2b - Jazz and Marches and Ragtime. I really enjoyed them so since I'm about through with Alfred's Adult Level 1 I ordered Faber's Adult All in One Book 2 and have found the different approach from Alfred's has added a lot to my knowledge base. For me they complement each other very well.

how many beats per minute when tempo says allegro? (for Malguena?) Thanks!

(OK, here is my recording at 168bpm... Malaguena)

Last edited by Wish4 Thing; 07/04/12 12:07 AM.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
R
R
Hi everyone. I hadn't had any musical exposure before starting lessons 6 weeks ago so I was a complete beginner.

In my first lesson, the tutor showed me a couple of books and I picked Adult Adventures as my main one and I find it a very good source.

This week's assignments were "Procession" and an extract from "Surprise Symphony" which is giving me my first exposure to stacatto.

My lessons have followed a similar format to others. I'll play the pieces I've been practising, then the teacher will look through the book and get me to try two or three new ones and occasionally throw in an exercise.

I also bought the "Really Easy Piano Tutor" book as a supplement and have attempted a couple of pieces on my own. Since I "got" my practise tunes quite quickly this week, I've been trying "Swan Lake" from this one. I'm getting there but the fingering changes do slow my tempo. It's a fun piece to learn though.

And also, I've been making a first attempt at transcribing a song ("Lithium" by Evanescence). I've got the melody (slightly simplified) and will next try to figure out the bass line. Tricky but really good fun.

So all in all, a busy week of practise smile Oh and to get back on topic, I'm finding the Faber book a very good learning tool...

Last edited by Reaper_FBB; 07/04/12 07:07 AM.
Hi, how is everyone doing? I'm going slow...

ran into a question today, would like to get some help from here...: how to interpret the double vertical lines below (circled in red)? Thanks!

[Linked Image]

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Double lines: end of a section. In this case, marking off the introduction from the body of the piece.

ETA: don't pause at the double bar line unless it makes musical sense to pause, which in this case I don't think it does. A slight pause for effect might be interesting after the first beat of measure 4, but this is quite independent of the double bar line.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 08/07/12 01:12 AM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Thanks, PianoStudent88!

I found the following info on internet, which didn't seem to apply to this piece... To me, the "introduction" sounds the same pattern as the "body"... frown

A double bar line is used to separate different sections of a song, and may mark the transition into a different time signature, key signature, or overall style.

A double barline refers to two thin, vertical lines used to separate different sections of a musical passage. Double barlines are used in the following ways:

Before a key change

During an overall change of style; or before a chorus or bridge

Before changing the time signature mid-line. If the change occurs mid-measure, a dotted double bar is used; see image.

Before a tempo or Tempo I

Sometimes occurs with the repeat commands dal segno (D.S.) or da capo (D.C.)

If the command fine is found in the middle of a composition, it will be accompanied by a final barline (in which case the song’s very last measure ends with a double barline); fine mid-measure is seen with a dotted double barline.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
My Recordings
P
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Wish4 Thing
To me, the "introduction" sounds the same pattern as the "body"... frown

In this case, the difference is that the intro has the LH only. Not a dramatic difference, but enough to distinguish it. I think use of the double bar line is a bit fussy in this piece, but I've noticed that the Fabers seem to use it a lot to mark off introductions.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission