2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am soon going to buy a full sized digital keyboard. My son will be performing in some concerto competition this summer and needs something to practice on while we vacation in the woods. (Electricity is available.) My budget is as low as I can possibly get away with. I was looking at the casio cdp-120 for $400. I'd guess I'd have to buy a cheap, folding stand for whatever that costs.

My friend wants to sell me his 8 year old Suziki hp-8 for $300. I tried it out and it feels like a nice keyboard to me. It works. It comes with a stand for household use. I'd guess I'd also have to buy the folding stand for travel.

I don't know much about keyboards, but I was hoping we could use whatever we got in our house for regular use. Our piano is 100 years old and not the best quality. It would also be nice to have one child practicing on the piano and another on the keyboard in times of conflict.

Which keyboard should I choose?

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
B
B
If your son is playing in a competition...don't you think he would need something that isnt a cheap keyboard to practice on? I wouldn't pick either of them to be honest.

Maybe you can get a P95 for him.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The Casio CDP120 is a quite decent entry level digital piano. It is comparable with the Yamaha P95.

To be honest, I have never heard good reports about Suzuki pianos, but neither have I actually had any experience of them.

Your son would certainly need a firm base for the keyboard (solid stand or, at a pinch, a table or desk) and a good pair of headphones would probably be useful. And you need an adjustable bench to be at the right height - can be a folding stool.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
One might also review what is on eBay (near you) and also Craigslist. You may find a good used article that is almost new and has some great features for a bargain price.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
If you're son is performing competitively, he will need something with a good action. The Casio Privia series, starting with the PX-130 offers the biggest bang for the buck, IMO, having decent piano sounds as well as an acceptable action. I would suggest heading to Guitar Center this weekend, armed with their 15% discount coupon (downloadable) and grabbing one.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
OP Offline
Originally Posted by voxpops
If you're son is performing competitively, he will need something with a good action. The Casio Privia series, starting with the PX-130 offers the biggest bang for the buck, IMO, having decent piano sounds as well as an acceptable action. I would suggest heading to Guitar Center this weekend, armed with their 15% discount coupon (downloadable) and grabbing one.

Got my coupon. I think we'll go in today to look around. Except casio and yamaha are some of the brands I can't use the coupon for.

I'm seeing "mfg 2000" written on the suzuki manual, so I think the keyboard is actually 12 years old, not 8.

Last edited by christineka; 05/25/12 11:40 AM.

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
OP Offline
So, the casio px-130 is good? Is $425 a good price for one that's 2 months old? It's just the keyboard. It happens to be located in the same city as the guitar center store. I'm thinking I'd go to the store first and then to the private seller. (I live an hour away.)

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Be aware that once you're in the store, you'll be able to negotiate with the sales guys using the discount. They always declare that major companies are not participating to protect MAP levels, but face-to-face things are different.

I think you can judge how good the secondhand price is once you've seen the best GC can offer on a new one.

mabraman, 2015
OP Offline
I hope I did okay. I came home with a yamaha p95 with folding stand, 2 yr warranty, and padded bag. (Good thing I got the bag because the box didn't fit in the van.) The coupon worked:) I paid under $700 and the deal is done, so don't tell me I can do better;)

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by christineka
I paid under $700 and the deal is done, so don't tell me I can do better;)

Just make sure you don't look on Amazon then. wink

Good luck to you and your son, and I hope you both enjoy the P95.

mabraman, 2015

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission