I'm new to the forum. I have 20 years of experience with PC's and some basic music knowledge. I play guitar a little and am interested in learning piano. I have a very small budget so I found a 21 year old Kawai P360 digital piano for $150 on CraigsList. It has 88 weighted keys, velocity sensitive and is in near mint condition. The only problem is the sounds are very digital. Since it has MIDI in and out I figured I would connect it to my PC and use it as a controller with some free/cheap piano software. I found a MIDI to USB cable and some free software piano’s but I need some guidance to know what will and won’t work. Being able to record or transpose music would be nice in the future but not required now, I just want to learn to play. The not so great sound of this piano doesn't inspire me to learn.

Our 14 year old son has been taking piano lessons for 2 years and can play some. I found a 10 year old Yamaha P-200 last year for him. It sounds pretty good but needs a little work that I’ve started on. The only problem with the Yamaha is the action is kind of heavy as I’ve heard many times online. I’ve taken it apart to find 2 broken keys (it was previously dropped and broke the highest B & C) and there doesn’t seem to be a way to reduce the force required to play it. They keys also “clunk” when the keys are hit and return but that’s just replacing the bumper strips that I will order with the keys.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!