2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think your question has already been answered.
Do you think a CLP-990 in good condition for $750 is a good deal?
Jump on it ASAP.

B
B
I looked at a CLP-430 today and was told the price was $2500. The dealer also seemed eager to discourage me from buying Roland even thought I liked them a bit more.

I liked the 430 but I am not sure if that is a fair price. How old is that piano?

I
I
It's expensive. The manufacturer price of the CLP 430 is around $3000. It's usually marked down to $2300-2500 in stores with room to bargain.

I just got my CLP 430 from Costco/The Music Exchange in Northern CA. It was $2000. You can read about it here in this thread which nobody responded to, lol:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...%20-%20How%20did%20I%20.html#Post1894210

Or here, a few posts down.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...%20CLP%20230%20vs%20YDP.html#Post1893233

M
M
Hi we were in dealers shop last weekend looking at the Yamaha CLP-430. The sticker price was around 2900, they had a discount price of around 2500, he offered us 2150 within 10 minutes and finally got down to 2000 before tax if we took the DP home in our station wagon. I do not know if you have a Guitar Center in your area but they might even go lower if they sell Yamaha and you push. By the way this was with full warranty and they had a two year trade in policy, 100% of the purchase price goes to a upgrade. I also looked for used but found that either the seller over paid for their DP up front ( they should get at least 30% discount) and or they refused to depreciate the DP appropriately so in the end I could not find a value buy used.

I
I
Originally Posted by maclum
I do not know if you have a Guitar Center in your area but they might even go lower if they sell Yamaha and you push.

Guitar centers don't sell Clavinovas. Only YDP (Arius line). Oppositely piano dealers don't sell YDPs, only Clavinovas. Lol.

N
N
I have a 9 month old Clavinova 320 for about $1000. Do you think thats a good price for it ? I checked it out its in good condition without any visible wear and tear.

G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Update:

Someone else offered a better price for the CLP-990. Now I have to offer $900. Do you guys still think $900 for the CLP-990 is a good deal, or would you suggest that I let this go? I've seen at some CLP-330s at ~$1000, but unfortunately not close to where I am (I've seen at least one in NY, but far from where I am). I could wait some more time, but the digital piano market on craigslist seems to move pretty slowly!

Last edited by ggould; 05/22/12 08:25 PM.
I think the CLP990 is worth $900.

But you imply that there is bidding going on here? I would never participate in a bidding war. In a world of mass-produced merchandise, there will always be another one waiting for a buyer.

Agreed. If you come back with a $900 offer, what's to say that the seller will not ask for $1000. Usually it's the buyer who barters with the seller, not the other way around.

Set yourself a maximum price that you wish to pay and stick to it.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
L
L
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Agreed. If you come back with a $900 offer, what's to say that the seller will not ask for $1000. Usually it's the buy who barters with the seller, not the other way around.

Cheers,
James
x

What I don't understand is that the OP said they offered 750 and the seller accepted. If that's the case then the OP should have the piano at home right now. It sounds like this predicament is self inflicted.

Perhaps the seller saw this thread and decided that his/her DP was worth more? wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev
Agreed. If you come back with a $900 offer, what's to say that the seller will not ask for $1000. Usually it's the buy who barters with the seller, not the other way around.

Cheers,
James
x

What I don't understand is that the OP said they offered 750 and the seller accepted. If that's the case then the OP should have the piano at home right now. It sounds like this predicament is self inflicted.

Well, I hypothetically offered $750, and the seller said he would take that. However, more people were already going to take a look at the piano during the next days. I could've said "take $750 now or leave it", but in that case I would've risked losing the piano. One of the other persons then offered 800, so then I offered 850, and then they 880. $750 was below my maximum price, so that's why I didn't give an ultimatum. My maximum price is approaching now...

G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Perhaps the seller saw this thread and decided that his/her DP was worth more? wink

If the seller is seeing this thread, I'd like to announce that I won't go much higher than my current offer smile

Bad speak! " ... in that case I would've risked losing the piano."
I strongly resist that notion.
There is no risk.
And there is nothing to lose (and nothing to win).
It's just business.

L
L
Originally Posted by ggould

Well, I hypothetically offered $750, and the seller said he would take that. However, more people were already going to take a look at the piano during the next days. I could've said "take $750 now or leave it", but in that case I would've risked losing the piano. One of the other persons then offered 800, so then I offered 850, and then they 880. $750 was below my maximum price, so that's why I didn't give an ultimatum. My maximum price is approaching now...

I'd be done with the bidding. For all you know, there is no other person.

K
K
Update:

Someone else offered a better price for the CLP-990. Now I have to offer $900. Do you guys still think $900 for the CLP-990 is a good deal, or would you suggest that I let this go? I've seen at some CLP-330s at ~$1000, but unfortunately not close to where I am (I've seen at least one in NY, but far from where I am). I could wait some more time, but the digital piano market on craigslist seems to move pretty slowly!

$900 is still a great price for the CLP990.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
I was thinking that, too ...
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev
Maintain control. Always.

So, wait and see. Then, when the seller's anxiety rises, jump back in.

G
ggould Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
There is no risk.
It's just business.

Semantics!

Right, this is a possibility, although I do believe the seller is honest (based on the seller's credentials). Also, if the seller is bluffing, the seller also runs the "risk" (or not? :p) of me saying "no", in which case the seller loses their only offer. The seller does have to sell the piano by the end of June, so bluffing also has a cost.

Many thanks to those who gave their opinion on $900 still being a good price. I think this is as high as I'll go.

L
L
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
There is no risk.
It's just business.

Semantics!

Right, this is a possibility, although I do believe the seller is honest (based on the seller's credentials). Also, if the seller is bluffing, the seller also runs the "risk" (or not? :p) of me saying "no", in which case the seller loses their only offer. The seller does have to sell the piano by the end of June, so bluffing also has a cost.

Many thanks to those who gave their opinion on $900 still being a good price. I think this is as high as I'll go.

If you're going to offer him $900, you should make the offer that you come pick if up right then. Something like, "If I offer you $900 can I come pick it up tonight?" If not, you're just being set up to have the price raised again.

EDIT: I also don't think MacMacMac's point is semantical. If you're afraid of loosing, you put yourself in a weaker negotiating position. If you're there with money, ready to make the deal and no one else is, you're in a stronger negotiating position. The seller has no idea if anyone else is going to make an offer, or make an offer that's as good. They risk loosing a sure sale for what might be.

Last edited by Lefty Chev; 05/23/12 09:27 AM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Reading between the lines - and please forgive me if I'm way off beam here, ggould - it sounds like the OP may not have made a firm decision himself that this is the piano he really wants. I suspect, if he had, the deal would have been done by now.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission