2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
L
Originally Posted by R0B
I don't know why you make such a big deal of the 'free advice' thing.

Everyone on this forum gives freely of their time and expertise, but no-one here feels the need to shout that from the rooftops.

You have much to learn about how this place operates.(no charge)

I would agree with this and add that coming into anyplace where you're unfamiliar with those who spend time there and presenting yourself as the new resident expert on anything is never going to go over well. Especially when you're talking about an Internet forum where there's already a good number of people who are already doing just that.

It goes over a lot better if you just start participating in a community instead of trying to draw a lot of attention to yourself.

OP Offline
Well, I decided that it's utterly useless to pursue this. Dislike me all you guys who want to do so. I'm going to leave this thread open and not leave. Those that wish some advice can get it. Those that wish ill for me can wish ill all they want to - but by themselves. I'm sure we'll hear some more of this, hoping to get the debate restarted. My bad for not simply signing off when I said I would.

Lefty, I could respond to your thoughts, but I choose not to.

Dan Starr
Helping older folks be happier!
Originally Posted by Lefty Chev
It goes over a lot better if you just start participating in a community instead of trying to draw a lot of attention to yourself.

This is very true, and I think perhaps one of the easiest way to get fingers pointed at, and questions of credibility raised (when drawing attention to yourself). I have my side chosen on this argument, as many lurkers here probably do as well, but honestly, can't you guys just argue over PM?

...and to Dan Starr - I find that the more you argue against the many arguing against you, the worse your credibility and willingness to help appears (in my opinion), so please, just play your part like the rest of us and be a respectful individual by contributing what knowledge you have based on your personal experience and leave it at that...if you want to be a digital piano guru and save all the lost souls, then perhaps your personal website is a better place to do it.

Here is a perfect example:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/

I don't see this guy parading on PWforums, and he has LOTS to say about digital pianos!

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I agree with what you have to say, Keegan.
Originally Posted by Keegan

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/

I don't see this guy parading on PWforums, and he has LOTS to say about digital pianos!

IIRC, this gentleman has been here, with perhaps a similar purpose to the current thread's OP, but he decided to restrict his advice to his own website.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
OP Offline
voxpops come through! I visited this site and it was indeed worthwhile. I suggest everyone interested in DP's go there.

Dan Starr
V
V
I have a question for Dan: Lots of threads are started by people asking for help of various sorts; rather than trying to restrict your knowledge to people who directly ask you on this thread, why not do what everyone else does and make appropriate contributions when you believe your expertise may be of use?

eg: There are often questions about using MIDI to control another keyboard, connect to a computer to drive some third party sound, etc. If you know about that sort of thing and want to offer some advice then nothings is stopping you.

OP Offline
Vectistim has a valid question so I'm going to answer it. Recall that this is what I think based on my experience as an instructor of keyboard.

The truth is that I've found that those who do little to nothing for their advice rarely follow it, despite any credentials of the person providing the advice. As someone much more famous and wise than I once said, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Thus, I believe that those who will at least try what I advise to see if it works are also those who will find this thread and check it out. This is why I don't seek such folk out in their various categories. You could also ask if such folk will see this offer. This thread is near the top of the list and one cannot fail to at least see it when a person logs on.

Dan Starr
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Dan, given your unwillingness to join in the many discussions (and hence the spirit of this forum), and also your desire to be at the head of the list with your "offer," it does tend to look like self-promotion conducted in a rather aloof manner, whether you meant it that way or not. As has been said, people come here every day to share expertise and give advice freely, but don't seek a special status for themselves.

There was one person who came to this thread seeking advice, and had to start a separate one, as they felt they were not receiving the help they sought. Hopefully, you'll soon feel able to demonstrate your knowledge by participating more fully.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
L
L
Originally Posted by Dan Starr
Vectistim has a valid question so I'm going to answer it. Recall that this is what I think based on my experience as an instructor of keyboard.

The truth is that I've found that those who do little to nothing for their advice rarely follow it, despite any credentials of the person providing the advice. As someone much more famous and wise than I once said, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Thus, I believe that those who will at least try what I advise to see if it works are also those who will find this thread and check it out. This is why I don't seek such folk out in their various categories. You could also ask if such folk will see this offer. This thread is near the top of the list and one cannot fail to at least see it when a person logs on.

What you're forgetting is that this is a community. I don't understand how anyone could have the attitude you just explained here and not expect to get the reaction you have when you try to do what you've done in an established community. I am one of the people you're targeting. I'm a guitar player who has minimal piano/keyboard skills, but I'm working on learning. With the way you've presented yourself in this thread, you're not a person I'd ever take advice from. You've done yourself a serious disservice by acting the way you have, and it's here for everyone to see. I know you strongly disagree, but remember, I'm the person you're talking about wanting to help and the way you've behaved has made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Disagree if you want, but you've bitten off your nose to spite your face.

[Linked Image]

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Dan, You said earlier ... "I notice that some have shut up as they should."
Perhaps you should do likewise?

If you're somehow trying to market yourself, it's clear that you don't know how.
As Lefty Chev said: "With the way you've presented yourself in this thread, you're not a person I'd ever take advice from."

OP Offline
A friend and fellow student told me last night, "The first rule of the Internet is "do not feed the trolls." Seems I'd forgotten that. So to keep this easy for folks AND myself - if you want advice you will have to email me directly. Of course, some trolls might wish to try this as well. Their emails will simply encounter a "delete" key. Sincere folks will be answered in 24 hours.

Do I know what I'm talking about? Yeah, as I've successfully taught these materials full time for 24 years. Now I'm offering free online help. Drives some folks completely around the bend, I guess, although I can't imagine why.

Dan Starr
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
if you want advice you will have to email me directly.

I think that is a really good idea smile

Rob
Yes, it's true. The first rule is "do not feed the trolls." But who's the troll here? wink

L
L
A friend and fellow student told me last night, "The first rule of the Internet is "do not feed the trolls." Seems I'd forgotten that.

So instead of it being you, it's an entire forum of people who are the trolls?

Do I know what I'm talking about? Yeah, as I've successfully taught these materials full time for 24 years. Now I'm offering free online help. Drives some folks completely around the bend, I guess, although I can't imagine why.

What makes the forum great is the fact that there's such a wealth of knowledge from such a diverse group of people and it's free, so you offering your expertise for free doesn't really drive anyone around the bend. You're going to have to come up with a different rationalization as to why it's everyone else and not you.

T
T
Dan,
Why don't you start a new thread?

You are taking on some of the most respected people in this forum, and it does not make you look good. A new thread may be a fresh start. This time, treat people with respect and if you keep things civil you will get respect.

Kawai CA63
B
B
This guy is hilarious...

Everyone is trolling? We have all pointed out your disgusting behavior in this thread and that's all you can say? WE are the problem?

I doubt anyone will be emailing you Dan, too-da-loo!

OP Offline
Okay, okay ya guys want to play in your own sandbox? Some sort of contest? Well, let's see you guys in Mommy's basement match these creds:

-Actually teaching older folks to use digital instruments since 1987.
-Actually performing on these since 1968 (and for pay, lots of pay!)
-4 CD's of original compositions for ALL sorts of "key-boards" which includes acoustic piano, digital piano, portable keyboards, synths, workstations released and sold internationally.
-26 ebooks written and hundreds of copies sold at amazon.com

What have I been doing since I first signed on 5 years ago? Actually doing music. How do you people suppose I have kept a full practice this long?

What have you been doing? Posting. Wow.

Again, anyone that wants some assistance should email me directly. I've helped a few such people, despite the "anti-Dan Starr campaign." If I can assist one more it will have been worth it. By the way, I do know the names of the folks that have given me flak here and emails from you folks will be cheerfully deleted without being read. Promise. So don't waste your time. However, requests for help and/or any questions about anything regarding keyboard will be answered in 1 business day.

Dan Starr
This isn't an anti-Dan campaign. Nor has anyone maligned your music skills. But your attitude here is annoying.

The history you give suggests that you're in your fifties. But comments like:
  • "Pianoworld has many assholes who post regularly."
  • "let's see you guys in Mommy's basement ..."
  • "emails from you folks will be cheerfully deleted without being read. Promise."
... suggest that you're in your teens. Which is it?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission