2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 250 of 370 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Evening everybody!

I'm also enjoying the recital, but I wanted to say hi over here. I hope you all are doing well, my friends.

See you all later.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Good morning everyone! P.J. and Richard, I assume Rossy is extremely busy these days since I got by with that reference to Roy Orbitson. The last time I got away with something like that was last year when he was so busy with completing his very first composition. We hadn't heard from him in many many days! However, he surfaced just as me and Wayne were getting into a bit of mischief with some naughty remarks.

Anyways, I only have time for one post today. It's a busy time at work and home. Recaredo, introduced some of us to flamenco, last Christmas if my memory serves me well. While this is not traditional flamenco one of my friends introduced me to this artist who performs flamenco jazz on the piano. I found it very interesting. Have a listen and see what you think.

Here is Chano Dominguez & Band playing "Oye Como Viene"

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Off to work I go. Have a great day everyone!

Carl

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Well, since it's so quiet today, I think it's a good time to post this video I've been saving for a while.
I can't wait to hear Richard's detailed analysis of the music- it's quite complex and dynamic and I'm not sure he's up to it.
I think if Freddy Mercury were still alive today, it'd bring tears to his eyes.

Note the piano at 0:52 seconds. Wish I could play that well.
And, gals, check out the lead singer/drummer at 0:57 seconds. Who could resist such a hairy, sexy dude? sigh....

Last edited by piano joy; 05/17/12 11:07 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Griffin, I’m glad you posted about flamenco jazz.

I attended this concert in my city. I know the pianist very well (he’s my nephew).

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Recaredo
Griffin, I’m glad you posted about flamenco jazz.

I attended this concert in my city. I know the pianist very well (he’s my nephew).

WOW!! Recaredo, I am very impressed with this. Your nephew and this ensemble are very talented. I happened to be on my lunch break while I was listening, and one of my colleagues heard this and stopped by to listen. He is a professional jazz vocalist as well. He was also impressed. Thank you for sharing this. It was like having a desert after my lunch!

Feel free to share more in the future. Back to work for me. I will check in later.

Carl

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

As 10cc said, Oh Donna...

Saturday is party day, so lots of preps between now and then. We shall of course have a minute's disco dancing in honour of the queen of disco.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano joy
Griffin, if Rossy were here, he would never, EVER , let you get away with saying " the Big O " .

Just sayin'.......
smile

(glad your cough went away!)

Indeed, and as happenstance would have it, this has unexpectedly come back to haunt Griffin just when everyone thought that it wouldnt.

Because Rossy is here and Rossy did notice.

Apparently there is a little "O" a middle sized "O" and a very large "O" which I believe is the one that Griffin gave reference to. All these O's are very different and have different meanings.

I am presuming the Americanisation of "Big O " is taken from the UK "very large O" which is probably the type of O that pianojoy derives most delight from, I know I would, normally, and if I didnt have a prostate exam at the hospital to attend immediately afterwards say.

I say "hospital" because the three thai girls working in a rented room told me to call it a call "hospital" if anyone who was in uniform ( that wasnt themselves) asked.

I didnt know you had to tip nurses before that happened.

Anyways Yes, Griffin .

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Requiescat Donnam in pacem.

Richard

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Lovely, Richard.

Rossy? Oh, that reminds me...

Currently trying to choose a piece by Frescobaldi to start learning soon...

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Griffin, I’m so glad to see you and your colleague enjoyed the video of my nephew Sergio. Now he lives in Dallas, he is doing PhD studies at Texas University. I hope he succeeds in his career.

Thanks for your comment, Griffin.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Aha! I see that I can draw Rossy out when I make a slip up with various unintended meanings and interpretations. Unfortunately I do that without even trying. I never know when that's going to happen. oh well, it's a tough job that someone has to do, and It may as well be me.

Hi everyone, I don't have much time to post today and I'm just finishing my lunch break. However, I want pay my respects to Donna Summers (R.I.P.). Richard, I hadn't heard the news of her death yesterday until well after you posted. I loved your post.

Here is my contribution today. This was the first time I saw her on TV. It was electrifying.

Peace!

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Have a great day everyone! I'll be back with some things to share this weekend including stuff for the Sunday classical postings, of course!

Carl

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Lovely post, Griffin.

I'm still trying to get my head around what we should do here tomorrow, as a tribute to her. There will be fans, including me (well, 25 or so). I have various recordings. mmmm.

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I was playing in a rock band and very disparaging of 'Disco' music.

Until I heard this.

I later got the extended remix, too!

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Eglantine, I've been trying to track down Frescobaldi's D minor toccata. I don't know where I know it from but it's not too difficult. It was number eight in one book and number two in another if memory serves. I can't find it on YouTube.

It may have been one of the scores I was using at Cardiff Uni but I definitely don't have it now. I can't even remember how it went frown though I'm sure I'd recognise it if I heard it again.

Let me know when you've made your choice.

Richard

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Richard, the conjunction of Giorgio and Donna in that song was something else. It really did change everything. Beyond the recording itself, the instrumentation, the beat, the everything, it spawned the whole remix culture (well, remixes of Kraftwerk's TEE, Detroit treatments of 80s Sheffield electro, also had a hand, but... that was the big one).

There's a fabulous book, Last Night a DJ Saved My Life (Broughton & Brewster), that covers this whole era's remix culture, which I highly recommend.

Frescobaldi: I THINK I have settled on Aria detta la Frescobalda (and variations). All I know on the toccatas... is that there is one that is fake! Not by him, but quite well known.
Have you checked out IMSLP? There are lots of the toccatas there, in Barenreiter editions. I mean, the complete first and second books.

http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/u...85-Frescobaldi_-_Organ_Works._Vol._3.pdf

http://javanese.imslp.info/files/im...85-Frescobaldi_-_Organ_Works._Vol._4.pdf

Of course, 19thC publishers produced all kinds of editions, and muddied the waters.

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Ah! IMSLP. Every time I go there I get sidetracked. It's like an Aladdin's Cave. I saw the first dozen toccatas in manuscript and then I got waylaid again. smile

But you've settled on La Frescobalda so it's of no matter - I was looking for you. On your behalf, that is, I wasn't expecting to find you there!

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eglantine
Lovely post, Griffin.

I'm still trying to get my head around what we should do here tomorrow, as a tribute to her. There will be fans, including me (well, 25 or so). I have various recordings. mmmm.

Hi Eglantine,
I don't have much time to post today. However, we could post a few things of Donna's today. I have a little correspondence to do. However, I should be about to post in a few hours. I'll be sure to check in first to make sure that I don't duplicate what's already been posted. How does that sound?

Carl

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Hi guys, I've been away from the computer all day, cooking food and generally having a great day with all my guests.

Some lovely prezzies, including hardbacks of Barenreiter Anna Magdalena Notebook and Henle Little Preludes. Lovely editions.

Sorry Griffin, I think I used 'here' in a way that was confusing. We've been celebrating Donna, and there was even dancing in the living room in the middle of the afternoon.

[Linked Image]
Page 250 of 370 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission