2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 6 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
Originally Posted by Julien McCann
Originally Posted by re22
Some students come right out and tell me they can't do XXX at home.

whistle...... wink

blush
Sorry I realize that sounds like something else now! Eeeek!

Fixed lol

Last edited by re22; 05/18/12 11:07 AM.

Private Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If they had any issues. Some students come right out and tell me they can't do ____ because the piano wont respond fast enough, etc.

I hope this helped answer your question!

heart

What did they play? Islamey? Even Islamey can be played on an upright if one has fast fingers.

R
R
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
If they had any issues. Some students come right out and tell me they can't do ____ because the piano wont respond fast enough, etc.

I hope this helped answer your question!

heart

What did they play? Islamey? Even Islamey can be played on an upright if one has fast fingers.

Hi my post is not meant for 1 song in particular just issues in general. Such as double strikes, the piano keys don't respond fast enough, impossible to play pianissimo on, etc

Its not a shot at uprights (which I love!) I'm referring to a students current piano might not be up to par with their playing skills.

Know what I mean? smile

Private Piano Teacher
K
K
I've just started playing/learning few month ago and already moved to combination of grand/upright. My teacher even supports this and "my" grand is 1934 AF model IV borrowed from my piano technician. It does have its own set of issues, but I still very much like playing it. This deep bass in comparison with my wife's AF upright! Also this action, although showing its age is very nice -- at least on keys where it works as it should. :-) Some of the keys are a little bit sticky, but otherwise I have much more pleasure from playing this instrument over my wife's upright (small). Also even as a complete beginner if you ask me where I'm better able to control at least some dynamics, I'll reply immediately that on the grand of course! Well, since my teacher insists on my training on both pianos I usually start on upright and then move during the day to grand for reward (side node: I'm trying to train over hour per day divided into 15-30 minutes blocks). Also it's better to be a little bit trained on the particular piece as the grand produce more sound to disturb neighbors than small upright.
So well back to your questions, my teacher does not recommend purchasing this particular grand (because of the action age) but agreed on lending it and insists on training on both pianos to have me more adjustable to the particular piano. Teacher himself does have petrof upright so I'm playing on three and I think it's really good experience and I'm glad for it.

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
A
A
Interesting thread. I think I was about 8-9 years into studying piano playing when the topic came up (I was either in jr. high or high school. can't remember). at the time I was using Yamaha U3 at home, but my teacher had larger grands that I had access to if I needed it. the main issue was regarding my ability to control the dynamic range of the piece, and fatigue when playing LOOOONG pieces on larger grands. ppp and fff became more and more difficult with playing the upright. Part of the issue was because the action on my U3 was bit too light and was harder to control the dynamics, and also when I played a larger grand, I started to fatigue due to lack of finger strength/endurance, and had trouble towards the end of the piece to play well.

Our family didn't have the space nor the $$ for a grand, so my parents had the piano tech do something on the U3 to mimic more of the long hammer/key "throw weight" (I don't know the technical terms for this.. sorry) of the larger grands. I have no clue what the technician did. All I know that the action became heavier, which allwed me to build my stamina and strength, as well as give more control with the ppp.

Once I got the strength in my fingers (so it won't collapse when I use my weight to get the fff and sf) and ability to move fast with the heavier action, it became less of an issue when I moved back/forth between the upright and the grand.

In fact, once I mastered the slower upright actions, playing the grand well became easier, and truly a joy to play the nice grands. If you can play a fast repeat well on the upright, then when you move to play the grand it just played better, and you can concentrate on the expressions, beyond just playing the notes.

So it was always a pleasure to play on a grand (and I drooled over the semi-concert Yamaha grand my teacher had.. it had ivory keys, and I LOVED it. sweat slippage was a major problem with our upright that had the typical laquered key surface), but for practicing, it wasn't much of an issue that I had an upright. But usually few weeks before a competition/concour, my teacher would ask me to play on her piano more often leading up to the event (she had a steinway grand and a yamaha semi-concert) so I will learn to take advantage of the full range of the grand's faster action. So for me, I just needed the "final polish" on the grand, but everything leading up to it was on the upright, and it was fine.

I also had a friend, who was far more advanced pianist than me (same age), and she had a console at her house that she practiced on as long as she had been taking lessons. And she was a phenomenal pianist, with a scholarship to a well-known conservatory. Since she was such a great pianist, I assumed she had some awesome piano at home. but nope. Imagine my shock to find out that she was on a dinky little console, not even a studio!!! (she did do what I did, which is to start using the grand pianos at the conservatory leading up to an event). That sort of told me it's not the piano that makes a pianist, but the technique learned and the diligence of learning the correct keyboard attack methodologies (my teacher called it "attack". not sure if that is the conventional term used to describe how you actually depress the keys to get different tonal qualities of a note) were more important.

That and the passion to play, of course... :-)

and those techniques learned on an upright easily transfers between different pianos. And if anything, if you are able to control the tone on a "lesser" piano, playing on a better piano was a true joy, and allowed me to express better.

If I had kept the piano study much longer, I may have needed to move to grand piano for daily use. But it wasn't like I was vying to becoming a concert pianist, and once I went to college, just couldn't keep it up. soooo...

So in my mind, being able to practice on a grand on a daily basis is very nice, but not an absolute necessity, as long as you have some access to a grand somewhere (school, teacher, church, etc), if you're a very serious, advanced player. If you can afford it, it's great and ideal and you're lucky pianost! but not having one at home, I don't think it's that horrible of a penalty, like it would with you trying to do the same with a digital (digital, there's definitely a ceiling you will hit before it will start to hinder your progress.. and that level is at around advance beginner or beginning intermediate skill level).

Perhaps at some truly, far advanced level that I never achieved, you need a grand piano to excel. But since I never got there, I don't know if such requirement/need exists.. again, as long as you have some access to a grand to fine tune your performance.

Just a single perspective of a "once long ago a pretty serious student". not sure if it helps.

PS. this doesn't mean that I don't want one, and for those who can afford it, by all means they should get one, and I envy them.. I would LOVE to have a 6ft grand. just not able to due to space, and finance consideration smile In the mean time I'm happy with my K8 3hearts and to upgrade from that, it will have to be a very very nice grand, I think.. very much out of my price range (and will have to either remodel the house, or buy and move to another one!)

Last edited by akita; 05/29/12 02:57 AM.
O
O
Hi, Interesting thread! Just thought I should add my own thoughts. From my experience, a grand is seldom needed in order to improve as a player. Most of us can do our practice on an upright, and there will still be lots of room for improvement. I would rather say that an upright vs. a grand is about the playing experience and the feeling you get. Does playing on a grand feel that much better that I'm willing to spend a lot of money purchasing a grand? That's the question!

I grew up playing an upright. I just moved into an apartment where the upright unfortunately makes too much noise for the neighbors, so I had to sell the Steinway upright I inherited from my grandma (but it didn't sound as good as you'd expect from a Steinway, actually). Now I'm in the process of purchasing a digital piano.

But I know one thing for sure: when I move to a house of my own, settle down etc, I'll for sure buy a grand. A good one. I've had the luck of playing on some really nice grands from time to time... and the feeling you get from that... just impossible to compare with playing on an upright. For me, playing is about expressing myself. On a nice grand, I can just lay down a jazzy chord, listen to it for a while, and then just add a small and simple melody. And: it sounds awsome. I feel at one with the instrument, I really don't need to do much in order to express something. The sound and the touch is there. I just have to carefully bring it out. On an upright... it's not the same. Laying down a chord can't sound beautiful in itself. I have to struggle and search much more to bring out the beauty.

But of course: for practice, for improving my technique, for just improving as a player, an upright or even a DP can function just fine. Going for the grand is a question of investing in musical beauty, imho. Not now, but in some years - most def.

Schimmel 130 by day, Roland FP-30X & Sennheiser 800s by night
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission