2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Just a bit of reaction here. You can disregard if you wish.

I offer to help and get flamed by certain folk. "They" could simply have decided I was an idiot and therefore not worthy of consideration. They didn't do this.

They could have decided to ignore what I say. No.

They could have realized that any person is simply writing from their experience. Nope.

They could have asked, "What leads you to believe this?" and at the very least learned something, even if only that their experience was better, more realistic, etc. Naw.

What they choose to do, however, is write for all the other people who obviously read these posts. I can see the front page of this and know there are a lot of these folk who are sometimes called "lurkers." Allow me to apologize to any such that are still reading this. Since I don't take kindly to those who insult me (I sometimes call it "taking a dump on my living room floor") I insult back.

However, I also offer help - to those that want it. And the price is right, I must say.

Dan Starr
Helping older folks be happier!
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Dan Star
Duet

This is a means of sounding more than one tone at once. It's damn useful for creating great sounds, such as piano + strings. And if you have 10 sounds on the keyboard, then the TOTAL number of sounds ("voices" in Yamaha-speak) is 10 factorial. That's a lot. And there is something to know about how to combine them. Of course, you can use "Trial and Error."

Don't want to wade into the argument but I found this completely wrong. You seem to be describing zones and layers. Yet Duet mode in the 2 keyboards I have sets a split to the same key range and sound. This allows 2 players to share the keyboard and play in the same range. Its useful for teaching and playing 'rounds' like "Frère Jacques " for example where the second player starts after the first playing the same melody.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 05/17/12 12:32 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
B
B
Originally Posted by Dan Starr
Just a bit of reaction here. You can disregard if you wish.

I offer to help and get flamed by certain folk. "They" could simply have decided I was an idiot and therefore not worthy of consideration. They didn't do this.

They could have decided to ignore what I say. No.

They could have realized that any person is simply writing from their experience. Nope.

They could have asked, "What leads you to believe this?" and at the very least learned something, even if only that their experience was better, more realistic, etc. Naw.

What they choose to do, however, is write for all the other people who obviously read these posts. I can see the front page of this and know there are a lot of these folk who are sometimes called "lurkers." Allow me to apologize to any such that are still reading this. Since I don't take kindly to those who insult me (I sometimes call it "taking a dump on my living room floor") I insult back.

However, I also offer help - to those that want it. And the price is right, I must say.

Excuse me? I NEVER insulted you. I asked you a question about your statement...a statement which even you did not fully understand after you wrote it. A few people agreed with me that it WAS a loaded statement and instead of fixing what you said, you decided to talk to me like I was a child and question my comprehension skills..so yes, I said you have selective vision and that your statement was stupid.

Instead of being silly childish and referring to me as "they" you could have addressed me directly. I don't have a problem with anybody here but obviously you are sitting on some high horse..you are not that important, there are tons of people on this forum giving DP advice.

Get over yourself.

Finding a piano teacher that can teach you how to use your DP is not that important. I don't think it should be a deciding factor in whether or not you choose somebody. I own a DP and my teacher only uses acoustics. She actually hates digitals. I am there to learn the MUSIC. I am not trying to learn how to play around with my DP. I can do that at home. So, as a DP owner, I had a problem immediately with your advice. If you don't know how to deal with it, then ask me what the problem is. Don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

OP Offline
What keyboards do you have? You don't say. I will tell you that "Duet" often means exactly what I said it does. I'm going to assume that the original poster reads everything, including his manual which will define this term for him. That's important, as you have one definition and I have another. Neither matters much, just what his keyboard defines it as.

Dan Starr
OP Offline
Hey, I gotta ask you, Broken Chord - how do you know I was even talking about YOU? Of course, not being a child I do believe I already know the answer. However, perhaps not and you'll enlighten us all.

There has been a number of folks who have dissed me here (as well as a number who asked for help) and you were just one of them. If I meant just YOU I'd have used the pronoun "he." As you are the only nasty who has responded, I'll now start using this new pronoun, but only when flame-warring.

Not sure why he dislikes me offering to help, for free, no less...one can only speculate.

Why do I keep responding? Simple - I don't suffer fools gladly. However, I suspect that this will be my final post on this NON-issue. Let's both find something more useful to do. You can think what you want, I'll think what I want, and any reader can think what they want. And, as always, I offer any help I can for no money. If you don't want it, then quit listening and posting. I know that's what I'm going to do.

Dan Starr
My Piano teacher just teaches me to .... play the Piano smile

For operating my DP I have a Manual smile

Last edited by Phlox; 05/17/12 02:22 PM.

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Dan Star
What keyboards do you have? You don't say. I will tell you that "Duet" often means exactly what I said it does. I'm going to assume that the original poster reads everything, including his manual which will define this term for him. That's important, as you have one definition and I have another. Neither matters much, just what his keyboard defines it as.

PX-330 - "Duet Mode makes this instrument perfect for lessons
In addition to the excellent keyboard action and piano sound, the Privia PX-330 is the perfect instrument for music education. Featuring Casio's Duet mode, the keyboard can be split into two equal ranges, allowing student and teacher to play at the keyboard simultaneously. "

The other one is a very old yamaha PSR that I don't remember the model it did the same thing as the casio.

In fact a google search revealed nothing like you described anywhere Link

What is your reference if it often means as you say?

du·et/d(y)o͞oˈet/
Noun: A performance by two people, esp. singers, instrumentalists, or dancers.
Verb: Perform a duet.
Synonyms: duetto - duo

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 05/17/12 02:37 PM.

OP Offline
The problem with just learning to play piano is that piano (and all sounds produced by vibrating strings) tend to die away. However, sounds produced by vibrating columns of air do not. This means that you have to play more notes on the any instrument that either uses vibrating strings (except violin, cello, etc. where you can keep the stimulation of the string constant) or sounds like it does. If you don't you will lose the sounds.

The entire point is that a manual can tell you how to push buttons. That's a good thing. What it cannot tell you is how to use those sustaining sounds. They may be triggered by a key but they don't work the same way. Those readers that have played the organ (as I have) know exactly what I mean.

Thus there are three general categories of knowledge involved:

1. Playing the keys, the blacks and whites,
2. Pushing the buttons, a Manual can tell you this
3. Knowing about music other than piano playing. For that you need additional education (is it any wonder so few seek it out?)

Want to experience what I mean? Try a sound like "slow strings" or even better one of the pads where you have to hold the key down a bit to give the sound the time to develop. You play that like a piano (quick notes) and it simply won't work. There isn't any sound for the simple reason that there isn't any time for the sound to get made.

Of course, if all you ever do with your DP is use the piano sound you are fine.

Dan Starr
OP Offline
Perhaps I should have been more specific or even insisted on the poster being more specific. "Duet" is not "Dual" which is what my brand new Yamaha DGX 640 calls a layer. I checked that out right now as this instrument is about three feet from me.

I really don't feel like taking the trouble to analyze your Privia right now. I always encourage reading the manual which would clarify whatever term a particular manufacturer uses.

Still, it would have been nice if you had simply said that on your keyboards this means something else. Perhaps you didn't mean to make it so but your tone was quite antagonistic and continues to be. "What is your reference?" you ask, rather than imply stating what you have found to be true.

Hey, I'm just trying to help. Like any other imperfect person (and I suspect that's everyone on Earth!) I sometimes get it wrong. At least I'm not charging for my services and, as such, they can be discounted by any thinking person. Making up one's own mind is part of being an adult. At least I've always seen it that way, since I became one!

Dan Starr
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
You may be trying to help but giving wrong advice is not helping.
From this Keyboard Magazine article it first defines terms the feature duet is listed
4. DUET MODE

What It Does

Splits the keyboard in the middle with identical note ranges on either side.

Benefit

Lets student and teacher sit side by side and play the same part in the same range, as opposed to octaves apart.

Had you not assured me that you were right in your response without any proof other than you say so, that would have not elicited my next post.

Now you mention 'dual' mode which is not the same thing.

So if your trying to help, try to be correct and when your called on it at the very very least admit your mistake right away. There is no shame in answering "I don't Know!"

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 06:05 PM.

[Linked Image]
Digital pianos are typically simple devices. Keyboards and organs have more in common (rhythms, one finger chords, auto-accompaniment, etc). True synthesizers are different animals all together, whether they have an 88-key hammer action keyboard or not. Just because they all have keyboards doesn't mean technique and repertoire are shared between them. I pity someone taking classical piano lessons and practicing at home on an unweighted keyboard.

How many Yamaha DGX series keyboards do you see on Craigslist? smile

OP Offline
Wow, I so stand corrected. Now would you like to speak of all the rest of my recommendations. I'm sure you can nitpick them to death also if you try hard enough.

To all other readers - advice is just that "advice." You can choose to accept it or not. Everything on this Forum, everything your instructor tells you, everything some dead composer says, is just advice. Think for yourself. You have that right, despite the attempts of others to impose their will on you.

Dan Starr
OP Offline
This is in response to some kid who thinks he can tell me what DPs do vs. what keyboards do. He's wrong, of course, as he obviously is not all that well versed on the full spectrum of what's out there. Most DP's are a long, long way from "simple devices." Check out the size of manual on one. That's been one of the problems for those purchasing them - too complex.

He ends his post with "how many DGX's do you see on Craigslist?" as if that somehow answers anything. So [censored] what? And Craigslist WHERE? Both these show a significant lack of real world understand.

Dude, I've been using these instruments since they were invented. Have you? What's your background, oh "Tech in Training?"

Dan Starr
Nah, I'll skip speaking to the rest of anything you wrote since I said nothing directly to or against you in the first place. I was replying to the thread in general and honestly thought you'd agree on some of my points. I have 26 years of experience making music, mostly with electronic devices of various flavors beginning with a Casio MT-100.

Have fun with your wounded ego.

B
B
No wonder this guy joined the forum in 2007 and hasn't made a meaningful post yet. Your personality sucks, please go away. You accuse others of flamebaiting but you are in here throwing poop at people who have different opinions than you do.

Originally Posted by BrokenChord
No wonder this guy joined the forum in 2007 and hasn't made a meaningful post yet. Your personality sucks, please go away. You accuse others of flamebaiting but you are in here throwing poop at people who have different opinions than you do.

My guess is that he's just trying to drive some traffic to his web site and market his eBooks.

B
B
Originally Posted by pianovoce
Originally Posted by BrokenChord

My guess is that he's just trying to drive some traffic to his web site and market his eBooks.

Yes, I also thought it was a bit weird that he joined this site in 2007 but had not posted anything meaningful until today when he pops up to offer "free" advice. Im just waiting for him to give out his website.

Any minute now.

OP Offline
A note for the many, many folks reading this and not responding, perhaps to avoid the nasty flamewar going on. PS: I never recommend anyone simply leave. I'm not like that.

I've tried to insist on individuality here. That means only YOU can decide to what to read, what advice to accept (from me or anyone!) what viewpoints you'll have, etc.

This, in the musical world, means that it is up to YOU to learn the music you prefer on the instrument of your choice. That, for those reading this particular forum, means a DP, synth, or keyboard.

What I am suggesting is that you play What you want, How you want, and When you want. Ignore folks who think their opinions should be your opinions. This includes me as well as anyone posting here. If you want some assistance from an instructor, I stand ready to give it my best call. Whatever I say, you must decide if you want to do that or not.

It's about liberty. Personal responsibility. Personal choice.

Dan Starr
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
piano voice made some interesting assertions above, to which I'd reply:

Digital pianos are typically simple devices.

Not at all. Literally millions of components. Very complex and carefully designed (although not a very innovative area for the last ten years). But they are limited in what they can do, probably roughly in accordance with the market: people don't want infinite options. They want piano imitation which some extras thrown in.

Keyboards and organs have more in common (rhythms, one finger chords, auto-accompaniment, etc).

What do you mean by 'organ'? Church, cinema and public hall organs have, over the years, been fitted with of all kinds of devices but not, as far as I'm aware, 'one finger chords'.

What you are describing sounds more like 'home keyboards' which only really got off the ground with cheap digital electronics in the 80s.

True synthesizers are different animals all together, whether they have an 88-key hammer action keyboard or not.

Yes they are! Different evolution, different function, different market and different image: totally agree.

Just because they all have keyboards doesn't mean technique and repertoire are shared between them.

Yes, that's certainly true. Isn't this another way of explaining Dan Starr's original position?

I pity someone taking classical piano lessons and practicing at home on an unweighted keyboard.

Again, yes of course. There is a lot of ignorance about the capabilities of 'keyboards' regarding piano technique. Fortunately, there is pretty good marketing of four or so excellent digital PIANOS. Namely Kawai, Yamaha Roland and Casio. The only problem being that two of those makers in particular also do 'home keyboards' and the boundaries can get blurred if the shop sales people and others do not make it clear.

How many Yamaha DGX series keyboards do you see on Craigslist?

Well yes - that would illustrate the above point about confusion by the public on what constitutes a piano and what constitutes a hoe keyboard.

All of these are interesting points and seem to me to broadly underline Dan Starr's stated role which is to help people maximise the utility of what ever keyboard they are working on - to really get under the bonnet (or hood), so to speak.

And this is a good point: the features on almost any good DP allow you to do things which would have been quite out of the question with APs: easy, perfect recordings; writing for different instruments; entire band or orchestral arrangements; automatic scoring and manuscript writing.

But it does take some technical knowledge and skill to really use these things.

All of which leads me to wonder what the heck people are getting their knickers in a twist about. You all seem to be agreeing, when it gets down to brass tacks.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission