2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 29 1 2 26 27 28 29
P
P
Does anybody know some decent fingerings for measures 43 to the end?

The youtube videos only go up to measure 42 and the DVDs only cover measures 1-27 unfortunately. I'm kinda stuck now...

Fantastic teaching series! Thanks so much for putting this together - perfect pace for me, a second year newbie.

--- Estonia L190 #7249 ---
My great-grandfather was an opera singer
My grandfather was a pianist
We'll see what my kids do
OP Offline
Just when you thought this thread was dead - I'm baaaack! Muhahahaha!

The reason for my serendipitous return? One of the viewers of my "Clair de lune from Scratch" video lessons alerted me to the fact that Jim Parsons from "The Big Bang Theory" tv show has apparently been learning "Clair de lune" with the help of - you guessed it - my video lessons! How wild is that?

Here's a link to the G4TV interview - go to 5:10 to jump to the part where Jim talks about buying a piano and learning how to play after an 18 year hiatus from lessons:

G4TV interview with Jim Parsons

[Linked Image]

As for the future of "Clair de lune from Scratch"? Let's just say that there *might* be some interesting plans in the works! I'll be sure to post back when I learn more smile

Have fun making music!!

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Yea! Looking forward to the next edition.

S
S
Would you believe that I caught up with these lessons only 3 days ago? I knew that they ended at some point, but I followed them along 2 and a half years after they were made. I hit the end of the line and decided that I was going to stick with the piece, and learn the rest on my own. Imagine my surprise when only TWO DAYS LATER, there's a hint that it might be resumed! I'm really pretty excited about the whole thing.

It's one thing to follow a ghost thread and watch lessons that the majority saw over two years ago. It's quite another to be able to wait and watch and comment in the present!

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I started to read these yesterday, seeing 19 pages I just HAD TO skip to the last one.

I am also a Ba_Zinger man fan.

Back to lesson #4

EDIT:
In following a link to Hugh's web site I saw that these lessons are available on DVDs for ~$60, which seems more than fair.

Has anyone here bought those (I think we should) and do they go all the way to the end ?

I will probably buy them anyway a) to support Hugh's effort b) so I can run through them when away from this forum.
:END EDIT

Last edited by R_B; 04/28/12 04:22 PM.
N
N
Hugh,

Like with all great DVDs, I anxiously await the release of the Blu-Ray version of the Claire De Lune from scratch lesson series... You could probably pack all of the lessons into one B.R, disc... Remember, you do have eager customers! And this really is a impressive body of work. Great confidence builder for beginner players! This series is well worth any price.

-NovellPrize

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
This is the closest score I could find to the one that Hugh uses in the Videos.
It is EXACTLY the same, at least up to where I have got so far.
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=608

Hugh's neat little copy/paste tricks had me intrigued - that isn't easy to do with .pdf files and I don't have (musicscore ?, I think that is what he uses).
However I found Inkscape, which seems even more useful.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape
Open source, runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.

Here is an excerpt from the readme;
"Inkscape is an open source drawing tool with capabilities similar to
Illustrator, Freehand, and CorelDraw that uses the W3C standard scalable
vector graphics format (SVG). Some supported SVG features include
basic shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms,
gradients, and grouping. In addition, Inkscape supports Creative Commons
meta-data, node-editing, layers, complex path operations, text-on-path,
and SVG XML editing. It also imports several formats like EPS, Postscript,
JPEG, PNG, BMP, and TIFF and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based
formats.

Inkscape's main motivation is to provide the Open Source community
with a fully W3C compliant XML, SVG, and CSS2 drawing tool."

It is easy to learn and from what I have seen so far such tasks as joining the last measure from one line to the first measure of the next line would be simple/quick/easy, though perhaps distracting in a video by the time you did all the ties, etc.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hmmm, to quote Hugh;
"Let's just say that there *might* be some interesting plans in the works!"

Could we have a lesson featuring Sheldon ?,
with Leonerd, Howard, Raj, et al "supporting" him ?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by R_B
This is the closest score I could find to the one that Hugh uses in the Videos.
It is EXACTLY the same, at least up to where I have got so far.
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=608

Hugh's neat little copy/paste tricks had me intrigued - that isn't easy to do with .pdf files and I don't have (musicscore ?, I think that is what he uses).
However I found Inkscape, which seems even more useful.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape
Open source, runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.

Here is an excerpt from the readme;
"Inkscape is an open source drawing tool with capabilities similar to
Illustrator, Freehand, and CorelDraw that uses the W3C standard scalable
vector graphics format (SVG). Some supported SVG features include
basic shapes, paths, text, markers, clones, alpha blending, transforms,
gradients, and grouping. In addition, Inkscape supports Creative Commons
meta-data, node-editing, layers, complex path operations, text-on-path,
and SVG XML editing. It also imports several formats like EPS, Postscript,
JPEG, PNG, BMP, and TIFF and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based
formats.

Inkscape's main motivation is to provide the Open Source community
with a fully W3C compliant XML, SVG, and CSS2 drawing tool."

It is easy to learn and from what I have seen so far such tasks as joining the last measure from one line to the first measure of the next line would be simple/quick/easy, though perhaps distracting in a video by the time you did all the ties, etc.

In Windows Vista & Windows 7, you can use a neat free application called Snipping. That's what I was using to cut and paste portions of the music.

For Mac computers, you can use CMD+Shift+4 and it will pull up a little cross hairs on the screen - move the cross hairs then click & drag to create a screenshot box that will automatically save the captured picture to your desktop.

The software used to view the music is called MusicReader:

MusicReader PDF 4

Hope this helps!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by R_B
Hmmm, to quote Hugh;
"Let's just say that there *might* be some interesting plans in the works!"

Could we have a lesson featuring Sheldon ?,
with Leonerd, Howard, Raj, et al "supporting" him ?

Boy, now THAT would be fun!! Hahaha!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by R_B

EDIT:
In following a link to Hugh's web site I saw that these lessons are available on DVDs for ~$60, which seems more than fair.

Has anyone here bought those (I think we should) and do they go all the way to the end ?

I will probably buy them anyway a) to support Hugh's effort b) so I can run through them when away from this forum.
:END EDIT

My apologies, the DVDs only go halfway through the piece - I haven't finished the rest of the lessons yet, I've had too much on my plate lately, but I do hope to revisit this someday. Thanks for your support and encouragement!

N
N
Well... I for one am hoping the rest of the lessons will be produced. I'm noticing the last message in here is from a year ago.. Anyway, on an interesting side note someone had brought up a question regarding Claire De Lune being appropriate for beginners.. While learning Claire I wanted to try to practice on a different piece. I wanted to begin learning "Comptine d'Un Autre Été". Oh boy! Did I learn something new! The Right Hand (RH) and Left Hand (LH)notes were very easy to locate and play on each hand, but were very challenging to actually play the RH and LH simultaneously. Claire De Lune is easy to get through in this respect because the LH & RH movements are fairly sequential throughout the piece. So definitely yes! Claire is actually a good choice for beginners. You can get through the 1st couple of pages of music before the page 3 challenge.... Anyway... Thank you again Hugh for the series... It's been extremely life changing. There is a very nice baby grand piano in the lobby of the Radisson Blu Resort & Marina on the island of St. Martin. I played Claire on it late one evening. Only a few people at the bar heard me play it, but I know they thoroughly enjoyed it because I didn't have to buy another drink for the rest of the night. wink It's moments just like those that I do cherish!

With kind regards,
-M²

F
F
Very well done! I played this piece so much that my wife called me "Claire".

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by NovellPrize
Claire is actually a good choice for beginners.

Uh, no it's not! wink

Depending on your definition, it's either late intermediate or early advanced piano literature.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am going to resurrect this thread because I bumped into Hugh Sung's Clair de lune From Scratch a week ago and am having great fun learning it, measure by measure.

I have been playing for coming-up-on four years now and would classify myself as an intermediate. So far, the piece is very approachable but I know it will be more challenging up ahead.

But I had a number of comments to offer to everyone about what I am learning by following along with Hugh Sung's videos.

1) His approach to fingering. I have already learned a great deal about fingering by things that he has said during the videos. Things that I will carry forward with me when I am doing my own fingering for other projects!

2) His approach to musicianship. I haven't always paid the closest attention to holding down notes for their full duration, or use too much pedal, etc, etc. I appreciate the attention to detail.

3) He discusses phrasing at length and that always helps me when I'm putting something together.

4) Even if I never am able to play Clair de lune at a high level (and I'm not ready to admit that yet), I have enjoyed the learning and the music already.

Anyway, a few thoughts.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 09/11/15 11:07 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AZ_Astro

4) Even if I never am able to play Clair de lune at a high level (and I'm not ready to admit that yet), I have enjoyed the learning and the music already.

Anyway, a few thoughts.

I have watched the first videos and was thinking the same, that regardless of learning the piece now (I am not), there are some general good teaching tips.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh regularly does youtube tips videos and he also teaches 'pop' through Artistworks if you're interested in his teaching style.

D
D
I await from Hugh pour le piano Toccata from scratch.

debussychopin.
S
sor Offline
S
I remember when I was learning this piece I came across his videos, but I didnt use his video to learn the piece, although I think his video was pretty good, I was already using someone else's video and my player piano. the middle part is the hardest to play musically but with enough practice I would imagine it should be doable,

Page 28 of 29 1 2 26 27 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission