2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

I
I
I agree with pv88 said, I noticed that too - but only AFTER I read that review. Haha, it's not a huge problem though. What is your price on the CLP 430 now?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pv88
Other than playing it yourself, no other comments will suffice.

This is the final, and most important test. I would strongly suggest that you do not purchase anything without playing it first. That can be a big mistake.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I agree Don I am going to go back tomorrow to try one more time, but after all the advice I have had from this forum I know what to look for, I will look at the decay, key action especially at the upper end and the voices and other extra functionality.

Last edited by maclum; 05/13/12 10:31 PM.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by maclum
I agree Don I am going to go back tomorrow to try one more time, but after all the advice I have had from this forum I know what to look for, I will look at the decay, key action especially at the upper end and the voices and other extra functionality.

Great. If, after playing them .... whatever you decide on will be the right choice.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Make sure you take your own (good) headphones along so you are hearing the sound that the DP is capable of making, and so you are comparing apples to apples, so to speak. Good luck with the choice! Sometimes it doesn't help to have price not be an issue, does it? Makes it harder to choose. I got my 620 as a "scratch and dent" from Musicians Friend for about $500.00, so that low of a price made it an easy choice for me.
Let us know what you decide!

Lee
M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
wow 500 that is amazing

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Extra note:

Just noticed I had 666 posts, so I thought I better post again to get to the next number... eek

M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Great http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/mad.gif
So like Robert Leroy Johnson am I going to be visited by the devil tonight and offered mastery over the casio cvp 700 in return for my soul

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
The haunted post has now been left behind, forever in the past... grin

Are you now being offered the CLP-430, or, the CVP 700?

Both pianos have better tonal decay over the Casio.

M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
CLP 430, the CVP is too old for the price, I got some good advice from a owner of a CVP 900 and it seems that the the models after the cvp 700 improved noticeably in key action, polyphony and the control panel. I would love a cvp from the next year the 200 series.

Last edited by maclum; 05/14/12 10:44 AM.
M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A combination of advice here, playing the Yamaha once more and reading the hilarious and informative forum here "No to DP - get an AP or you go find another teacher [Re: Smiles466]" has made my decision clear. Here is a convoluted summary that really should be in the forum mentioned above

I want to give my kids the best possible opportunity to learn and love music.

I found the traditional teaching method for piano promotes discrimination learning or rote learning incredibly boring for the first couple of years and it did not give me broader understanding/appreciation of the fun aspects of music like complex rhythms, texture, instruments, styles, timber and so on.

If you are lucky and actually have some natural music ability (unlike me), then you can learn by inference this takes place when a student is unconscious of what he is learning because he is teaching himself. In that case you probably found the learning process much more enjoyable and could pick up the more sophisticated and fun parts of music better/quicker than I.

So what does this have to with my purchase decision.
Well I believe that the DP should allow my kids to jump to the more sophisticated and enjoyable parts of music very quickly whilst learning the basics through the rote learning method. They will still have to go to lessons and push through the rote exercises but they can also experiment with the Rhythms/Auto-Accompaniment/styles/voices/songs and by doing so learn by inference.

So if that is the case (it would be great to get some feed back on this assumption) the then:-
1. I have to buy a DP not AP (we do not have the room/money to get both)
2. I need a DP that has extensive rhythms/Auto-Accompaniment/styles/voices/songs functionality which rules out the Yamaha CLP range. (after looking at them yesterday I do wonder why they have that range at all?)
3. My budget (less than 2k) rules out the yamaha CVP options,(which are fantastic)
4. The AP620 seems to fit those requirements at a great price.

I see the AP 620 as a two year option, after which upgrade to DP or AP that suites their skill level and preference.

The only risk I see is that we find that the difference between the AP620 and a acoustic is so great that they can not learn properly now, and it seems from reading this forum and all the advice that I have had that this is a relatively low risk for the first couple of years.

Thanks for all your help, this is a awesome forum !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by maclum; 05/15/12 01:34 PM.
I
I
So you decided against the CLP430? Damn. Haha.

Yamaha CLP range. (after looking at them yesterday I do wonder why they have that range at all?)

CLP is the classical range and CVP is the versatile range. CLP is for if you just want a simple DP with good grand piano sound w/o paying $3-5000 or more.

M
maclum Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by immuno
So you decided against the CLP430? Damn. Haha.

Yamaha CLP range. (after looking at them yesterday I do wonder why they have that range at all?)

CLP is the classical range and CVP is the versatile range. CLP is for if you just want a simple DP with good grand piano sound w/o paying $3-5000 or more.

Yes recognize that I am expressing my lack of experience in that statement. I have no grand piano experience, only played a average upright acoustic. Yesterday I played a upright acoustic and the CLP430 side by side and preferred the acoustic (with out headphones which is a little unfair). I also, for fun, tried the CVP 505 and was blown away, it was fantastic (I suspect that the speakers contributed a lot to the great sound)

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dmd
I have owned the CASIO AP-620 and I could not get rid of it quick enough. I did not like the rapid decay rate of the tones.

Do have to agree with this, no doubt!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission