2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1896421 05/13/12 10:06 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I have my own personal views as to where the line is drawn when it comes to genuine genius. I have also heard many people regard to Gould, Horowitz and others to be "geniuses". So I guess my questions to you are:

A) What do you consider to be musical genius? Where does the line exist between "genius" and just.. "really good".

B) In your eyes, why are these pianist considered geniuses?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
The question of 'genius' has little interest to me. Horowitz and Gould were who they were. Attaching a subjective, undefined label to their persona seems immaterial to me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
I would be more prone to reserve "genius " for great composers rather than pianists. I'm aware this might start a firestorm but as long as your performing someone else's compositions the best you can do is be a great interpreter. While is can be done with great artistry ,the genius should be reserved for the original composer. Just my opinion.

bfeils #1896490 05/14/12 12:28 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bfeils
I would be more prone to reserve "genius " for great composers rather than pianists. I'm aware this might start a firestorm but as long as your performing someone else's compositions the best you can do is be a great interpreter. While is can be done with great artistry ,the genius should be reserved for the original composer. Just my opinion.
I'm a composer and however flattered I'd be by this I dissagree! As a composer I can:
a. Produce a score
b. Produce a digital recording via a computer
c. Produce a live recording with myself playing (perhaps more than 1 instruments, if I'm REALLY good at more than one, but none the less limited).

I CANNOT perform my own works. And frankly I find that other performers do more justice to my own works (even for solo piano, and I do know how to play the piano) exactly because they offer their own 'genius' into things. Without them my works would be nothing!

BTW, I 100% agree (again) with Bruce. I find the whole issue about 'genius' to be of utter unimportance to me.

Nikolas #1896497 05/14/12 12:43 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm a composer and however flattered I'd be by this I dissagree! As a composer I can:
a. Produce a score
c. Produce a live recording with myself playing (perhaps more than 1 instruments, if I'm REALLY good at more than one, but none the less limited).

I CANNOT perform my own works. And frankly I find that other performers do more justice to my own works (even for solo piano, and I do know how to play the piano) exactly because they offer their own 'genius' into things. Without them my works would be nothing!

BTW, I 100% agree (again) with Bruce. I find the whole issue about 'genius' to be of utter unimportance to me.

That's exactly how I am - I'm fairly proficient at piano [I mean, I'm no prodigy or virtuoso, but I can hold my own] but some of my piano works would be MUCH better performed by someone else. For instance, I wrote a piano work that is essentially a VERY large fugue with a biotonal/serial theory section in the middle. I could in theory play the notes, but my friends who are more proficient in playing contrapuntal pieces would do better. I've only played inventions. But, I mean, I had the "genius" to write the work, right? :P.

BUT, for a musical genius, the funny thing is most people we call Genius' are those who have simply put in there time. Some people call me a genius piano player, or a genius at music theory, or that my compositions are put together brilliantly, or that I have a brilliant ear, etc. But, at one point I didn't. I worked hard for all of that. I had a lot of natural talent, but I worked at it all.

Defining a musical genius is really hard for me - usually I reserve it for those who are truly originals and are able to synthesize multiple styles seamlessly into their own and push new, un-traversed, musical ground before. Sadly, there aren't many in the classical world that get that, because many of them simply copy others styles or copy the music of the past. As brilliant as they might be at it, they're not pushing new ground. It's those that have the audacity to push new ground.

Last edited by TrueMusic; 05/14/12 12:44 AM.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by TrueMusic

Defining a musical genius is really hard for me - usually I reserve it for those who are truly originals and are able to synthesize multiple styles seamlessly into their own and push new, un-traversed, musical ground before. Sadly, there aren't many in the classical world that get that, because many of them simply copy others styles or copy the music of the past. As brilliant as they might be at it, they're not pushing new ground. It's those that have the audacity to push new ground.

Nicely said. I've always believed that true genius, in any field, is the ability to genuinely invent new.

----------------------------------------------------

^^ "Without them my works are nothing!"

For me, the question still remains: "Is superb interpretation genius?" Is what they're doing worthy of being labeled invention, or creativity?

My favorite quote on genius, I think from Schopenhauer:

"Talent hits targets no one else can hit. Genius hits targets no one else can see."

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Kreisler
My favorite quote on genius, I think from Schopenhauer:

"Talent hits targets no one else can hit. Genius hits targets no one else can see."

I adore that quote.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wonder why nobody thinks that I'm a genius ... must get back to washing up the dishes.

bfeils #1896531 05/14/12 03:53 AM
S
S

You summed it up perfectly. A pianist like Horowitz or Gould will always be exceptional interpreters, but I think the "G" word is thrown around too much. I remember on some News Round I watched years back they had a child on, he was about 6 years old as far as I can remember and he was playing a simplified version of "Rondo alla Turca". They were calling him a "genius" and "the next Mozart". Of course, I think it's wonderful that children still want to learn instruments but I feel like the genius word is also thrown a lot at children. To me, Mozart was a child genius, not a child who can play a little bit of piano.

But then I suppose there's an arguments that not all composers were geniuses! Some were just very theoretical and knew their stuff, and were able to create compositions this way.

Currently working on...
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu in C sharp minor Op.66
Mozart - Piano Sonata in E flat K.282
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196
bfeils #1896556 05/14/12 06:08 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

I am curious how you arrived at the conclusion that great artistry doesn't involve genius (whatever that might be). Said a different way, what is it about interpreting a composition that means that genius cannot be involved?

M
M
I agree that one can have interpretive or recreative genius rather than inventive-from-whole-cloth genius.

But I wouldn't say Horowitz and Gould are illustrative, although they could play faster (and louder, in the case of Horowitz) than anyone else. I'm thinking more of a less exhibitionistic artist like Cortot (typical comment to the point of cliche: "Horowitz plays the piano, but [fill in the blank] plays Chopin").

I think by that definition Bach wouldn't qualify as a genius. From what I've read he was the culmination of the Baroque but wouldn't fit your requirements.

Also, how "new' and "untraversed" does the music have to be? There is no sharp dividing line.

BUT, for a musical genius, the funny thing is most people we call Genius' are those who have simply put in there time.
I can't think of a single musician that I would call a genius who simply put in the time. In fact, I think the word "genius" implies a degree of skill way beyond that. A degree of skill that cannot be achieved by simply putting in the time. Certainly none of the greatest composers or pianists simply put in the time.

I think it's certainly possible to argue about the definition of "genius", although I doubt any agreement will be reached or is possible. But even if everyone agreed on a definition this wouldn't be sufficient in many cases to decide if certain pianists or composers fit the requirements.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/14/12 08:39 AM.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There’s that old adage

10% genius and 90% sweat and perseverance

Nikolas #1896632 05/14/12 09:44 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by Nikolas
a. Produce a score

My scale for genius is whether or not your work is a game changer. So i would say Bach changed everything that led to Mozart who lead to Beethoven which led to Chopin. Thats the caliber of musicians i attribute "genius" to. Not that there weren't many other greats of those times and in between, but these are the icons. Horowitz and Gould were certainly some of the best ever within there field but we wouldnt be talking bout them without Bach or the other great composers.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have met NEA Jazz Masters, MacArthur Fellows, a Nobelist, and a Fields Medalist. I have also known geniuses without certification. Genius is where you find it, sometimes in the most unlikely people. The lives of others are none the worse if you cannot find the genius in them, just yours.

Semipro Tech
bfeils #1896648 05/14/12 10:24 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My scale for genius is whether or not your work is a game changer. So i would say Bach changed everything that led to Mozart who lead to Beethoven which led to Chopin. Thats the caliber of musicians i attribute "genius" to. .

You forgot Liszt!

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
bfeils #1896654 05/14/12 10:38 AM

My scale for genius is whether or not your work is a game changer. So i would say Bach changed everything...
What did Bach change?

His music was not popular after he died and only became well known with Mendelssohn's revival. From what I've read, Bach was considered the apotheosis of the Baroque but not an innovator.

Jolteon #1896657 05/14/12 10:41 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by Jolteon
My scale for genius is whether or not your work is a game changer. So i would say Bach changed everything that led to Mozart who lead to Beethoven which led to Chopin. Thats the caliber of musicians i attribute "genius" to. .

You forgot Liszt!

Haha. I never forget Liszt. I just had to choose either Liszt or Chopin. Most non-pianists would recognize Chopin before Liszt.

B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

My scale for genius is whether or not your work is a game changer. So i would say Bach changed everything...
What did Bach change?

His music was not popular after he died and only became well known with Mendelssohn's revival. From what I've read, Bach was considered the apotheosis of the Baroque but not an innovator.

I chose Bach as an example based more on what i was taught from my theory teachers. They used to say Bach is the father of all western music as we know it.
Just an opinion. No right or wrong here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission