2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hey gang,

I've had a lifelong desire to play piano, and I have some familiarity with music having played in the school band (trumpet) from grades 4-12. My kids are 8 and 6, so I'm ready to take the jump into buying the family a piano, but let me tell you my thoughts.

I've been smitten with the Clavinovas since way back when, and I always had a dream of owning a machine like that because of its integrated teaching and "follow-me" lights for learning. Only problem is that they are way too much money. I have the means to spend maybe up to about $3k if need be, but none of the high-end teaching pianos (with integrated screens and fancy stuff) qualify (that includes Roland and Kawai).

I was thinking about getting a nice digital piano with a USB-to-host output and hooking it to a laptop and using 3rd-party software to learn. But then, I started looking at all the different options that are out there. I want something with an authentic acoustic feel and great sound.

After trying Yamahas, Casios, Kawais and a few others (no Roland since we have no dealer around us) I've kept coming back to Kawai - to me they have the best feel and nicest build quality. However, when I've compared models, specs and price I've kinda narrowed my wish list to maybe 4: CN43, CA63/93, CS6.... The CN43 and CA63 are attainable - the other two are a bit of a stretch...

Here's my conundrum, and bear with me because I'm not sure I understand this enough to know what I am talking about... If I'm going to hook-up the piano to a computer and use software that is interactive and likely has sound of its own should I get too hung-up on the sound of the piano (meaning the integrated speakers of the piano)? Wouldn't I need sound from the computer anyways for the software being used? Should I instead be looking at something like an MP6/MP10 and get some nice monitors/sub for the piano/computer to both play through? Maybe I should play the computer sound thru the piano using the line-in input?

I was at a piano store looking again today. The clerk was showing me the CP179 (which was awesome), but when he transitioned over to the CN43 the sound from the CN43 was thin and lacking in comparison. That's what got me thinking in the first place if I'm putting too much emphasis on the speakers in the piano.

Also, Tim over at Arizona Piano was explaining to me the importance of having a piano which is GM2 compatible (in order to enable you to take midi files and plug them into the piano and playback with them). Unfortunately, not many Kawai digitals are GM2 compatible. But then again, if I were using a computer as my main interface to play with then wouldn't the soundcard on the computer take care of any midi-compatibility issues?

I don't know... I've kinda overthought myself into a corner - not sure which way to go anymore... Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Go Lobos!; 05/12/12 07:22 PM.
O
O
as I understand you need a good weghted midi controller not a DP.
Get a studiologic numa or something like that.

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for that...

Let me clarify something...

I am looking at a rig to learn the piano, with the intent that someday if I learned enough I could play the piano on its own (no computer involved).

That's why I was thinking about an integrated unit versus a unit with external monitors (for better sound)... of course the computer interface and sound is just the fly in the ointment...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you will (or might) add computer-generated piano libraries, then ...
- Decide whether you want a slab keyboard or a console piano.
- Pick one that looks and feels right. The keyboard action is important. Don't fret over the speakers.

Later, if you're not happy with the sound, add a computer and sound system.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
First... Do you have a decent stereo in your house? If so...you can probably use that for sound and be happy with it. You will probably want to also spend some time with headphones so people don't have to listen to you play.

Second... I'm not sure you will be happy with generated instruction lighting up the keys that should be played. You really should just consider learning. Best way is a teacher.

Third... You will always be obsessing over sound from digital pianos. Just ain't that good. Software Pianos' which are as mac put it; computer-generated piano libraries. They are much better at sound. Requires your computer.

Fourth... Even though I'm an idiot. I'd suggest the MP6. Even though you're a beginner. That is a whole lot of piano for a beginner. Real nice though.

Follow mac's advise. Good...

I don't know about the: GM2 capable?

I'm sure others will chime in here.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by rnaple

I don't know about the: GM2 capable?

I didn't quite get that either. GM2 looks like it specifies 16 MIDI channels and being able to play a whole lot of instruments at the same time. Personally, I'd buy music to listen to music and buy a piano to play the piano. Having a piano play back someone elses music me doesn't seem all that important to me. I'm assuming just about any piano would be able to play back just piano.

Originally Posted by Go Lobos!
Also, Tim over at Arizona Piano was explaining to me the importance of having a piano which is GM2 compatible

Yeah, I'm wondering (along with rnaple and Lefty Chev) if this function is important to you. It would be a shame to pass over the Kawais for this reason if you found you didn't use this function.

Regarding the '"follow-me" lights for learning': don't do it. Get a good (live) teacher instead. He or she will inspire you in ways that the flashing lights never will. Costs more in the long term, but as they say, you get what you pay for...

Good luck with your hunting.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by 10fingers
Also, Tim over at Arizona Piano was explaining to me...

Please note that I had to correct Tim (above) on his repeated use of the word "upright" in conjunction with the Casio AP-620, which is not correct. Here is his review with the errors:

http://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2010/01/all-new-casio-celviano-ap620-piano-is.html

I have sent an e-mail to Tim to have him correct this info, since Casio's AP-620's action/sounds* are based on a "Grand Piano" not an "upright."

Casio also clearly intends for all of their pianos to both behave and sound like "grand" pianos, not "uprights."

*Mike Martin (of Casio) informed me that Steinway "D" concert grand samples have been used, also.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If you really want light-up keys, you can also add them using this device:

http://www.thepianomaestro.com/

G
OP Offline
G
Hey, that's pretty interesting... thanks for that...

Don't do it. Learning piano by light is just wrong. The lights are a crutch.

Don't do it. Learn the right way.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Bearing in mind the family may want to use this I would just buy the console type digital piano you like the best - a one box solution for learning/playing the old-fashioned way. Get a Clavinova (CLP-470 I should think) or a Kawai CA-63 (or perhaps its successor that might soon appear) or a Roland HP and be done with it. They're all good and learning to play properly will be a better foundation for the future. Keep it simple, get a console DP. Just my thoughts.

Good luck,

Steve

G
OP Offline
G
If you get something like a CA-63 which has the Alfred lessons built-in do you interface with a book for the lesson, or can you run interactive software from Alfred to assist in the lessons?

A
A
Originally Posted by Go Lobos!
If you get something like a CA-63 which has the Alfred lessons built-in do you interface with a book for the lesson, or can you run interactive software from Alfred to assist in the lessons?

You'll need the book, which does not come with the instrument.

The CA-63 is a tremendous value. I have to agree with the above comments that the "follow me" lights are of little educational value. They simply teach you to follow a prompt instead of interpreting music.

Better than any fancy gizmo is a good piano teacher.

Good luck in your search!!!!

Best,
Andy

----------------
Kawai CA63

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission