2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1895510 05/11/12 09:11 PM
O
OP Offline
O
how much does it cost to replace my perfectly good white plastic keytops with legal ivory ones?? is it crazy expensive and how long do they last before they turn yellow and crack in the middle?

K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
How "new" do you want the ivory to be? You can have recut "museum" ivory for maybe $10-20/key plus installation cost. If you got out of it for less than $4,000 I'd think you'd be doing well.

Ivory is a kind of bone. How good are you at telling one kind of bone from another -- and do you care? Keytops made of cow tibia are available for much less than any sort of ivory from any source.

In any case, they would probably last the rest of your life if they aren't abused.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I’ve read about various kinds of key-tops available, some mimicking the look and feel of real ivory, and some said to be even better.

I have two older pianos that have the real, one piece ivories… my 1978 Yamaha C7 and my 1969 Kawai K48A upright. The key set on both are in good condition, but you can see some wear in the centers of the Yamaha key tops; you can’t really feel it, but if you look closely and at an angle, you can see some “cupping” in the center of the keys, like a wear spot. One key (D4) has a small chip on the edge. I like the looks and the feel of the key tops on both pianos.

Real ivory is harder to keep clean than plastic and seems to absorb the oils and dirt from your fingers more easily… no matter how clean they (hands and fingers) are. As far as keeping them white, you can clean and polish them, and, ironically, exposure to sunlight helps keep them white.

Here is a couple of pictures of my keyboard on the Yamaha after I cleaned and polished the ivories.

Real, one-piece ivoires 1
Real, one-piece ivories 2

Good luck with you piano.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
R
Take a look at www.pianoparts.com, download their catalog in a PDF format, and look at page 16.

They sell both used and new ivory keys.

They advertise new full sets from 1,250 to 1,475 US Dlls., depending on thickness.

Note: I don't get a comission for this Ad. ha

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Gebrüder Knake Grand, 7'1", circa 1895
Celaya, Mexico
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Does anyone know whether Yamaha sells "Ivorite" keytops as a separate item? They look much closer to real ivory than they do to regular white plastic and they have the feel of real ivory to most people who've commented on this issue. Of course this material is totally legal given that it's synthetic. I didn't think it would make any difference to me when I recently bought a Yammy grand with this feature. "I'm buying it for the sound--that's it!" Nope. I now must confess that I really like the very-close-to-ivory-&-ebony concoction that Yamaha has come up with. It looks better, but mostly it feels better. For one thing, your fingers don't slip off the keys.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Usually somewhere around 4,000USD. Maybe try cattle bone? It's about 1/4 as much.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Genuine domesticated ivory sets and pricing found at this link

Blackstone Valley Piano

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
"Domesticated ivory"??? Yikes. The vision of raising elephants only to knock out their two front teeth is somehow abhorrent. Surely what is meant is "pre-ban" ivory, no?

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Does anyone know whether Yamaha sells "Ivorite" keytops as a separate item?
Yamaha "Ivorite" is only made available to certain installers, for use only on Yamaha pianos.

Originally Posted by beethoven986
Usually somewhere around 4,000USD. Maybe try cattle bone? It's about 1/4 as much.

Hardly. While the bone material cost is a lot cheaper than ivory, installation, which is the larger part of the total cost, will be as much or more with bone. Installing bone is even more labor intensive than ivory because it is harder and more porous and more brittle.

JG
Supply #1895874 05/12/12 06:23 PM
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Supply
"Domesticated ivory"??? Yikes. The vision of raising elephants only to knock out their two front teeth is somehow abhorrent. Surely what is meant is "pre-ban" ivory, no?

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Does anyone know whether Yamaha sells "Ivorite" keytops as a separate item?
Yamaha "Ivorite" is only made available to certain installers, for use only on Yamaha pianos.

Originally Posted by beethoven986

Hardly. While the bone material cost is a lot cheaper than ivory, installation, which is the larger part of the total cost, will be as much or more with bone. Installing bone is even more labor intensive than ivory because it is harder and more porous and more brittle.

In terms of raw materials, bone is about half as much, rather than one quarter. Thanks for catching my boo boo, Jurgen!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission