2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1895393 05/11/12 02:50 PM
M
Meghan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there! New to the forum and have a quick question. I have a lead on a Knabe made in the early 70's. Looking for something for lessons for the kids and for my personal, playing enjoyment. They are asking $1,000, but they would accept less (bench included!). The Sellers' tuner says the sound is great and it holds a tuning. What are your thoughts? Here are some pics:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks!

Hi, Meghan, and welcome to the forums! And a big hooray for buying a piano for you and the kids! You're a good Mom.

I'm not sure if that's a console or a spinet, but If I may, I'd suggest avoiding a spinet. Their diminutive size necessitated all sorts of compromises for both player and technician that the world has decided to no longer accept, which is why they're no longer produced. I've never heard a spinet that sounded or felt particularly "great" when played, but I'm picky. I've read here of some love for Yamaha spinets, but I've never played one.

Before shopping around on the used market, go to a piano store and play some new instruments. Get a feel for what new condition pianos of varying price/quality levels look, feel, and sound like. Armed with that knowledge, check out some used ones. When you find one that really makes your heart and wallet jump, hire your own technician to check it out rather than relying on the seller's tech.

Don't rush and have fun shopping!

Last edited by pianovoce; 05/11/12 04:08 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi, and welcome to the Piano World Forums!

It sounds like you are pretty excited about the piano...

That looks like a small console... just a tad taller than a spinet. If the $1000 includes moving and a tuning, it might be a decent price, if in good condition. Otherwise, I'd offer $500 or so. If my piano history is correct, that age Knabe would have been made by the Aeolian piano company, which doesn't have a great reputation for high quailty. That doesn't mean it is not a nice starter piano for your purposes.

How do you like the way it sounds and plays?

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Meghan,

I don't know where you are shopping but near here similar size pianos 20 years newer are advertised for less than $1000. Don't rush into buying this piano.

David

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
If the piano checks out OK with a technician, I say go for it. The Knabe, along with Mason & Hamlin, was the top end of the Aeolian line of pianos. Most of these are OK. Some of them are really nice.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
$500 tops. I think it's only Knabe in name. Way too recent to be a 'classic' Knabe.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
M
Meghan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm going to pass, I'm not in a hurry (but am excited!) as my oldest is only 5, but I'd like to see if he can begin piano lessons around 6. I am in the Chicago area and no, the price did not include moving and tuning. I've done enough research to know to get the biggest piano you can afford and have the space for, as the size affects sound, so no, would rather not get a spinet (and my brother and sis-in-law are music directors so they have hooked me up with a great tuner). I'm going to keep looking!

A
A
Hi Meghan
The knabe consoles during that period were of very high quality. It would be worth having it checked out as Eric said. Ricks comment about Aeolian quality pertains to the pianos that were manufactured in their Memphis plant. The East Rochester plant where that Knabe was made was producing quality during that time period.

A441

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission