2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The possibility to check the OS version of CP5 was added only with the latest firmware. It is done by pressing some button while turning the instrument on. If this combination is not working, then obviously the latest firmware has not been installed smile Apart from the initial version of the firmware, there was only one more version if I remember correctly.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/10/12 07:02 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
No problem. I wish the usb compatability list was newer than 2 years old....
I bought one and now I am trying another right now...

From the 1.20 Readme text...

9. Hold down the [USER] and [EXT] buttons, then power on the CP5 to check the firmware version to confirm that the CP5 has been successfully updated.
If "Version 1.20" is shown in the display, that the unit has been successfully updated.
Power off the CP5 to exit the version information display, then power on the CP5.

By the way I found a Verbatim USB drive from the Yamaha list at Best Buy that worked for the update. None of the Kingston matched the model # and I wasted one of those already trying to use it for the update...

Last edited by madAhorn; 05/10/12 09:13 PM.
O
O
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
It's amazing how two people can play the same piano and have such differing views.

exactly! I was not impressed with CP5 at all!
So I know now why companies don't have to hurry with improvements of their instruments - ther will be always somebody who will like whatever they do... sick
I have to say we have awful stagnation in DP development except
maybe V-Piano and hybrid models.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by offnote
I have to say we have awful stagnation in DP development except maybe V-Piano and hybrid models.

It's understandably not everyone's cup of tea, but sound-wise SN has been the only thing keeping me even vaguely interested (though I would very much like to examine the Physis piano). Kawai will likely add an initial to their UPHI acronym at some point, Yamaha seems more interested in EPs, Korg in poorly made workstations, Casio in the low end, and newcomers all pick lame Fatar actions to go with their fancy new guts - it's all fairly tedious. (Roland's new SN drum brain looks awesomely amazing but unfortunately too expensive for casual purchase.)

With all the raving about the CP1/5 keys I'm hoping this new lighter weight action concept will catch on with other makers (particularly those capable of designing less cryptic UIs). DP keys need to have sufficient mass in order to significantly reduce the chances of accidental play while brushing up against them, but that's about it IMO. I'm not convinced fake ivory, ersatz escapement, weight grading, or even hammer actions are positive contributions. It's kind of like electric guitars, once you have amplification you can put the lightest, slinkiest strings on there and park them very close to the frets - the reduction in required left hand strength is like night and day. Too bad I vastly prefer the rich sound of acoustic guitars.

I spent my first night with my new CP5.

I tried in the store to use headphones and get a good take on this board, but you know how that goes...

After tweeking the sound to somewhere between the bright rock piano and the CF grand, I like the sound I am getting for the most part.

But, there are definately inconsistant volume/velocity on certain keys. The S6 has more of them than the CF. Also, the EP's have some inconsistant velocities as well.

I like the Organs the best of all the sounds.
EP's next and then the piano sounds.

I would rather have the piano be my favorite sound since I play 99% if my songs on piano.

The piano sounds could use longer samples (I did not know this kind of technology was limited by sample length, but it is).
The piano sounds could also use sympathatic resonance as well as some corrected samples volumes/velocities as mentioned above.

What really bums me out is that if I play a chord and then hit the sustain pedal, I do not get the damper resonance...only if I hit the sustain pedal first... :-(

Roland RD700NX - Good piano, terrible EP's, almost as terrible Organs

Korg Kronos - Excellent EP's, Great piano sound but rough sample switching, Horrible Organs! Loud internal fan!!!

Yamaha CP5 - Great Organs, Pretty Great EP's, OK piano.

So, this is the one I choose from now out of those 3.

It will work well for live. Studio, I will still depend on my soft synths for piano, but the for EP's, Organs and few other sounds, I think I will use the CP5 for studio...

The Audio player for backing tracks and the Mic input will help me for live as well.

Quality Control?
I think this unit has traveled alot...All of the end cap screws were very loose and most of the screws on the bottom were loose.

Yikes! Needless to say, I tightened them before playing it.

Last edited by madAhorn; 05/11/12 10:58 AM.
O
O
here you are, they never give you what they have the best of 3 basic patches which everybody always wanted in stage piano in one unit. They say: "what? piano, EP and organs in one DP??? you got to be kidding...what for??? you are either pianist, organist or crazy, make up your mind!" mad

I know...it is amazing to me!

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dewster
...though I would very much like to examine the Physis piano...

Probably is the only digital out there (other than the V) worth taking a look at, amongst all the other miserable offerings...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission