2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (Carey, dima5222, Bett, CyberGene, Abdol, almo82, 11 invisible), 310 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Roland V-Piano "Ivory Feel" key tops wear & request
Kona_V-Piano #1893822 05/08/12 09:22 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
I am requesting that Roland look into seeing if they can determine if the new assembly has scratch resistant keys, as it shouldn't leave Roland R&D in Japan without having been tested for key top resilience, before the assembly ships out.

Casio / Yamaha / Kawai, have not had any wear issues.

(ad)
Sweetwater Sale
Sweetwater Sale
Kona_V-Piano #1893873 05/08/12 11:37 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
[Edited]

Go to posts, below.

pv88 #1893962 05/09/12 04:47 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I didn't want to get drawn into all this, but pv88 has already PMed & emailed me several times on this matter, and I've already given him all the information I know about the replacement white keys I was given, which is basically next to nothing....

For anyone new to this (anyone old can, er, shut their eyes grin), sometime in 2010 I phoned Roland UK's customer services - not the store I bought it from - when I botched two attempts to instal the Evolution upgrades (my fault, not Roland's - I've never downloaded anything from a website before, or since..). They told me not to mess around with my USB stick anymore but would send someone with a van to pick up my V-Piano to bring it back to their HQ (200 miles away), and then instal the upgrades for me, all for free. I took the opportunity to mention about the wear on the white keys, which didn't really bother me much, but they said their engineers would look into that also.

When my V-Piano was returned, there was a repair note with it saying that the Evolution upgrades had been installed and the 'white keys replaced'. The replacement keys looked identical to the old ones, with the same texture superficially, but after a while I realized that there is no wear - probably because there doesn't seem to be the 'sticky coating' on them as there was on the originals, and it was probably the coating that was wearing off if your nails hit the surfaces regularly.

The contact details of Roland UK are on their website www.roland.co.uk if anyone wants to have a go at finding out what replacement keys they used (they couldn't/wouldn't tell me, and I no longer have the repair slip that contained the dates and details) - I suspect they came from a different Roland model, maybe an older one with simple uncoated plastic.

By the way, pv88, noone from Roland USA has contacted me. But it is totally pointless anyway - they could just contact Roland UK directly if they wanted any information about what keys were used, and I'd have thought that Roland UK would be more forthcoming about their repair policy if Roland USA asked them, rather than a customer.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
pv88 #1894091 05/09/12 10:10 AM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Very impressive service from Roland UK, bennevis. The fact that they listened to your secondary concern, and acted without prompting, is exemplary (not to mention paying for collection and delivery). This is the kind of thing that's worth remembering when having to pay a higher purchase price in UK/Europe.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
pv88 #1894264 05/09/12 03:16 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Latest update:

Word is that a new key bed assembly has been released with a new part number, and, my local shop here is now ordering it. Will take up to 8 weeks or so to receive it, as before.

This is going to be the 2nd exchange, and, should I be more optimistic for the outcome, this time?*

The original key bed and first exchange were the same.

*It will be the third set of keys.

bennevis #1894302 05/09/12 04:22 PM
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@bennevis,

I, too, am glad to hear that you were given a set of replacement keys for your V, as you are evidently happy with them, and, that's all that really matters for the customer. And, thanks for all of the info regarding your repair, as that was certainly very interesting!

That's all,

pv88

pv88 #1894594 05/10/12 04:27 AM
I have a slightly different questionr egarding the keys. I know it's a bit of my own fault, but i do not use a cover. I also live in a studio appartment, and i cook alot (foodie :P ).. the unfortunate sideeffect of living in a studio and cooking with oil, is that there's a lot of dust, and sticky dust going around.

My keys are becoming a bit... tainted and slightly sticky (not actualyl sticky, but it feels weird). How do you clean your keys?

Roland V-Piano, Many synths, Accordeon, Hurdy Gurdy & Mandolin.
pv88 #1894757 05/10/12 11:25 AM
B
B
I've owned an RG-3 for about 4 years now and I'm surprised this issue still persists in the latest generation of Rolands. I've gone through 4 sets of keys (now on my 4th and final courtesy of Rolands UK superb customer service) with various revisions of the PHAII keyboard. The keytop problem has always been there to some extent, even in the newest LX-10 revision which I'm using now. Thankfully, as some other posters on this thread have reported, the keytop wear doesn't continue until the white totally flakes off. Rather its become a slightly roughened surface like really old weathered ivory, and it doesn't get worse once it hits this stage. The keytop roughening is only in the midrange where traffic is heaviest, the extremes of the keyboard are still pristine.

I hope Roland do sort out the keytop issue in the next generation, otherwise I may have to reconsider my options when I move on. Its a superb piano but the keytops make me grrrrrrr.

pv88 #1894776 05/10/12 12:10 PM
K
K
thanks bennevis for your detailed input on this matter. It shows how well Roland treats their customers. I don't suspect I will have any issues with mine however if I do, it is important to know Roland will take care of it in the best manner possible. PV88, I wouldn't worry as much as you are as Roland is doing the best they can to help you.

It is interesting to hear about the possibilty that the shiny coating layer that is missing from your replacement was the part that would flake off. Mine for sure and I bet all ivory keybeds on V-Piano's including the Grand that I played had shiny keys. Perhaps that is there to stop the fingers from slipping when they get sweaty? My question ti bennevis would be if his keyboard feels any different when playing without that shiny layer.

Last edited by Kona_V-Piano; 05/10/12 02:28 PM.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
pv88 #1895165 05/11/12 04:18 AM
B
B
As you may have inferred from my previous posts, I actually thought that Roland replaced the original keys with exactly the same, and it was only some months later that I realized that they couldn't have been, because there were no tiny scratches on the surfaces (the first sign of wear that I remembered from the original keys). Then it was time to play Sherlock Holmes (always fancied myself.... grin) and take out my magnifying glass and high-powered LED headlamp (which I use for mountaineering). The textured surface seemed the same as what I remembered from the original keys, but there was no 'patina'/'coating', which gave that slightly off-white, high-class (?) gloss appearance and, presumably, stop slippery fingers from sliding off - not that I ever found that to be a problem on any sort of key surface from cheap smooth plastic to elephant tusk.

The new keys are pure white (under the LED light) - and coupled with the lack of any wear even after a year of so of playing 4 hours a day (apart from the weeks I spent fending off grizzlies and great whites... grin), it was obvious that they didn't have the coating of the originals. I don't even bother to ensure my fingernails are cut very short anymore.

From my point of view, the most important thing is that the key action and the responsiveness of my V-Piano has not changed in the least, whatever the source of the new keys. After all, I bought it to make music with, not to admire its looks or as a piece of vintage furniture (it fails miserably on the last two, IMO.....).

And I'm hitting the keys even harder than before.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
WingNL #1895171 05/11/12 04:44 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by WingNL
I have a slightly different questionr egarding the keys. I know it's a bit of my own fault, but i do not use a cover. I also live in a studio appartment, and i cook alot (foodie :P ).. the unfortunate sideeffect of living in a studio and cooking with oil, is that there's a lot of dust, and sticky dust going around.

My keys are becoming a bit... tainted and slightly sticky (not actualyl sticky, but it feels weird). How do you clean your keys?

I also cook a lot and the kitchen area is just a few feet away from my V-Piano, but I have an old bedsheet draped over it when I cook grin.

You can try a soft cloth damped with warm soapy water, and wipe gently, making sure that it's not wet enough for water to get squeezed out and drip into the keybed. Then wipe again with another damp cloth (no soap) then finally wipe off any moisture with a dry cloth. But whatever you do, don't use alcohol wipes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hypnotised by the piano?
by xlider - 11/25/20 12:17 AM
using shim of ivory for the lost tuning pin
by Maximillyan - 11/24/20 11:14 PM
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,029
Posts3,026,841
Members99,363
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission