2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (c++, An Old Square, accordeur, BravoRomeo, 36251, 16 invisible), 667 guests, and 505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by wouter79
Oh well maybe some would say entire life is a crisis :-D

That made me chuckle. Sometimes when I practice and I get really into it... that's when I forget everything else and feel peaceful. Music silences the chaos in our lives and takes us away.

Something akin to what Jacqueline du Pre said:
"Playing lifts you out of yourself into a delirious place."

“Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play.” — Charlie Parker
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
You people should read a book named: Younger Next Year

It is true. You can literally, proven in medical tests, make yourself younger each year. I think the key is that we haven't taken care of ourselves. We also haven't known how to do a good job of it either. That book says there is no reason to spend years dying. A slow death from a sickness. We should be living healthy. Until the end should be rather short.

This topic...Like it's said: In an insane society. It is the sane man who appears insane. In this context: I wanna be completely bonkers nuts.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I think it means we are enjoying getting to a stage in our life when we can look around a bit and think how we want our life enriched in a way we may not have taken time for before as we were raising children, establishing ourselves in our careers, etc.

That's what it feels like to me. I feel lucky to be at this stage and able to enjoy it.

Carl

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I think it means we are enjoying getting to a stage in our life when we can look around a bit and think how we want our life enriched in a way we may not have taken time for before as we were raising children, establishing ourselves in our careers, etc.

That's what it feels like to me. I feel lucky to be at this stage and able to enjoy it.

Yep.
It's a new adventure.

Our modern word "crisis" comes from words that have historically meant things like turning point or instability surrounding change.

Learner
D
D
I am 37 and started playing 9 months ago as an absolute beginner. My family and friends have been very supportive. I was expecting alot of laughs directed at my "midlife crisis", but that has not happened. I usually get a "That's cool!". I think it shows that many of my friends also have similar ideas of finally doing the things they've always wanted to do. As stated previously, I now have the time and means to do some of them.

@rnaple- I (only) read the review of the book you mentioned. It seems to say what I tell my patients everyday. Exercise everyday, eat right, enjoy friends and family, have a hobby you are passionate about. I add to this: take a daily walk in sunshine and laugh daily. I don't think these are any groundbreaking key points, but if there are people who don't know this (and there are!)then they should take your advice and read it!

david

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Beginning music at 45 PREVENTED me from having a mid-life crisis!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
As we become more aware of the passing away of people we personally know and the fragility of our own lives, I suppose a ‘crisis’ emerges. It occurs at ‘mid-life’ because that is when those events typically happen. At this point we ask ourselves many questions including whether we’ve lived an authentic life so far. Only those who are going through the same will truly understand this. When they don’t, they disparage our choices and moves. What we do with that realization though is what matters, and learning or re-learning the piano is, I believe, in the right direction. As for myself, I studied piano as a child, stopped at 13 or 14, did not touch the piano for more than 30 years, bought myself a digital and re-learned when I was about 48, found myself becoming more serious and passionate about it that I celebrated turning 50 last year by purchasing my very first acoustic grand (perhaps my last?? I’m still dreaming of a larger Steinway ... well, at least it is not the dreaded mid-life crisis Corvette! ... am so glad I don’t have a love affair with cars!). I can categorically say that re-learning the piano has been the most authentic choice I’ve made, unfettered by external expectations and rewards. It reminds me of moments when as a child I could get engrossed in an activity for hours at a time, not caring whether what I am doing leads to anything of value. As adults, I think we have lost that sense. I now play the piano for its own sake, and reading your posts here at the ABF reasserts that for me. :-)

Anyway, just wanted to share this passage by the poet Rumi to all of you adult learners and re-learners of the piano:

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”

P
P
Originally Posted by lyricmudra

Love this

Started lessons 03/22/11
Kawai CN34 (Purchased 05/24/14)

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Wonderful post, lyricmudra! Thanks.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 05/10/12 11:37 AM.

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

+1. Very wise insight, lyricmudra. :-)

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CebuKid
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

+1. Very wise insight, lyricmudra. :-)

And to go off topic -- CebuKid, I've watched a number of your Joplin videos on YouTube -- they're fantastic! Thanks so much for putting those up.

If any of the rest of you haven't seen those videos, I recommend them highly -- great stuff!

[Linked Image]

"The great thing about music is if the plane goes down, everyone walks away."

-- David Bowie
C
C
Very nice post indeed lyric. Changing and getting to know myself its something that i have to do constantly. Playing piano is like that, a never ending journey.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by lyricmudra

Which reminded me of

"...but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" (Dylan)

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
C
C
Well said Lyricmudra.

When we are very young everything is new and it's difficult to determine the important from the non important due to lack of experience and many other factors. As we age we are better able to sift through everything and find the little flecks of gold here and there. You, myself, and those who participate on this forum have found a big nugget, not just a fleck, and we are all very fortunate.

The piano is gorgeous! I too am a Kawai owner and very happy with the instrument. BTW... which came first... the piano or the piece of art? The artwork so perfectly compliments the piano and vice versa I was curious. Everything blends so nicely including wall color and rug that it appears someone has decorating talent.

Originally Posted by cmbaj
Very nice post indeed lyric. Changing and getting to know myself its something that i have to do constantly. Playing piano is like that, a never ending journey.

I get to know a lot about myself, too, when I am learning and playing the piano -- my desires, frustrations, how critical and how compassionate I am to myself. The piano becomes a microcosm of life itself, a mirror for the self. :-)

Originally Posted by Cmajor
Well said Lyricmudra.

When we are very young everything is new and it's difficult to determine the important from the non important due to lack of experience and many other factors. As we age we are better able to sift through everything and find the little flecks of gold here and there. You, myself, and those who participate on this forum have found a big nugget, not just a fleck, and we are all very fortunate.

The piano is gorgeous! I too am a Kawai owner and very happy with the instrument. BTW... which came first... the piano or the piece of art? The artwork so perfectly compliments the piano and vice versa I was curious. Everything blends so nicely including wall color and rug that it appears someone has decorating talent.

Very true, Cmajor! We are now much better at spotting those priceless flecks. :-)

Yes, I am very happy with my Kawai as well. I just had it tuned yesterday and the piano technician said he loves the action. The piano has been so stable that it took about a year or so before I called the technician to come.

Thanks for the compliment! LOL. The wall color initiated it all six years ago. The rug came shortly after. Then there was a couch on that spot. The artwork arrived about three years ago and the piano bumped off the couch last year. That couch moved to another wall where my digital used to nest. I traded in the digital when I bought the piano. :-)

Last edited by lyricmudra; 05/11/12 09:50 AM.
F
F
Started my music endeavor 4 yrs ago when I turned 60 cause I wasn't smart enough when I was younger. Better late than never. Crisis is when you get divorsed!

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
lyricmudra - I too just looked at your piano photos - a beautiful piano in a beautiful room.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
About fifteen years ago, I was undergoing more surgery for abdominal tumors, down to 80 lb, and I said if I ever get well, going to try to play piano as much as possible.. I had majored in music in college but even though still loved it, had sort of let it slip/slide over the years, what with life getting in the way. Always been an "old soul", so hitting 50 next week doesn't really bother me (okay, maybe a little bummed out). frown Just want to play now what I'm really crazy about playing and have the most fun with - cocktail piano music (which covers just about everything, I think). I love other styles, such as classical, but still basically stink at it comparatively. Oh well... Enjoying reading all the inspiring stories here! thumb smile

Elssa

Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
lyricmudra - I too just looked at your piano photos - a beautiful piano in a beautiful room.

Thanks so much, CaptainKawai!! I hope you are enjoying your Kawai, too. :-)

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,276
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission