2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1894316 05/09/12 05:53 PM
P
OP Offline
P
So I've been trying to listen to different composers than my usual ones and hear pieces that may be a little lesser known. Anyways I heard Liszt's transcription of Schumann's Widmung and have probably listened to it 20 times in the last day or so, it is absolutely incredible! I was just wondering if someone in the know could comment on the difficulty of the piece? I am probably best classified as a weaker advanced-intermediate player, ABRSM level 7. Would this piece be in my reach, and if not any suggestions for similar pieces that may help me on my way? Oh and feel free to post any other Liszt song transcriptions that you enjoy, I have found them to be quite nice and would love to discover more!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
There is a thread in the other forum with some great Liszt. My personal favorite is this one:

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
P
OP Offline
P
Wow that is absolutely stunning as well...so regal. Also thank you for posting that thread, there seems to be a plethora of great music to check out. I am so happy to be discovering Liszt. Growing up my piano teacher hated him so I never really had a chance to play anything of his. You don't happen to know a way to find the difficulty of these pieces? The usual link I use from this site is very light on Liszt.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Pianostreet.com gives it an 8+ for difficulty, their most difficult rating.

If it was me, I'd try to find the hardest part and see how difficult it is. Then you'll know!

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
G
G
My favorite Liszt transcription is this:

The one you mentioned is also brilliant, sounds quite hard though.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. "
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Widmung is about the same difficulty as Liebestraume No. 3; not easy but nothing that can't be accomplished by a Grade 7/8. It's harder than his transcription of Schubert's Ständchen. You might go there first.

Richard
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you everyone for the responses! I love the pieces posted.
@zrtf90 Thank you for the help! I think I'm going to give it a shot. Also thanks for posting the Schubert transcription, I always loved the original piece and may have to think about learning that at some point.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
For that Ständchen I think I prefer Schubert's version (btw I've no idea why this video shows WW2 pictures behind this performance)

[video:yahoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfZxSiQOH0[/video]

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Pianolover, I believe there are two versions of Widmung by Listz, the "easy one" and the "hard one". A while back I learned the easy one. After that I started to learn the "hard one" and found it quite daunting and finally let it go.... I did a recording of me playing the easy one along with a singer friend of mine.. she's pretty good. Me, on the other hand... well, I tried. It's the one and only time I played with a vocalist.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission