2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1800765 12/05/11 11:43 AM
A
AuroraG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I am shopping for a new piano for my kids to start lessons. My top choice is Kawai K3. I was quoted an initial price of $6400. I checked Piano Book's online pricing guide. This is roughly 20% discount from the MSP. There seems to be room for negotion. So, what is a good price for K3 nowadays? Is 30% off MSP ($5700) a starting point for negotion or can I go lower?

Also, how does re-sale value look for K3?
Thanks.

AuroraG #1800777 12/05/11 12:15 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi AuroraG, welcome to the forum.

30% off is not an unreasonable place to start negotiating. This may or may not fly with the dealer. It can't hurt to to make the offer though.

Negotiating a price is an unfortunate aspect of buying a piano. However, that's the way it is. Maybe the ongoing implosion of the piano market will force some positive changes on a hidebound industry.

Have you looked at a K-5? A much better piano for just a bit more money, IMHO.

Gary
AuroraG #1800833 12/05/11 02:35 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi I'm a Kawai Piano Dealer in San Jose CA. I'm not familiar with the dynamics of the piano-market in your region hard to say if the price is great for your area or just good. Prices fluctuate based on many local factors such as cost of living; which affects the rates for moving, tuning and overall overhead of the business.
Competition among dealers it is also a factor.
However prices on a 48" upright will have small variations in the hundreds and not in the thousands therfore would not be worth exploring a market outside your area.
In general basis a discount of 20% off SMP is good, 30% is generous.
Keep it simple and enjoy your piano.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
AuroraG #1800873 12/05/11 03:41 PM
A
AuroraG Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Gary and Kurtmen, thanks for the quick response. This dealer is out of state, thus no sales tax. I'll visit a local dealer as well and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation. I really don't like negotiations. But at least it helps to be prepared.

I have looked at K5. It's beyond my budget now. In fact even K3 was more than my initial budget. My initial budget was in the 4000s. So, Yamaha T118 was within range. I have also seen really good reviews of Perzina GP122. I have not seen it yet. I will check it out before making the final decision. But, if I can get K3 at a great price, that would be the one.

Thanks.

AuroraG #1869741 03/28/12 11:12 AM
O
O
Hello,
I just joined the forum, and also buying a K3. Has anyone made the purchase recently? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Oaktoner

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Piano Buyer new edition is available online.
There, you'll find some realistic guidelines for pricing.
Regards,

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
AuroraG #1870102 03/29/12 01:53 AM
M
M
Based on the new structure, $5700 appears reasonable.

In fact I'd put the range of fair negotiating between $5400-$5900. Keep in mind low and high end values in my range all depend on dealers and their OH costs.

Good luck!

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
AuroraG #1891364 05/04/12 08:31 PM
D
D
So last week I bought our K3, ebony, new, delivered, with bench, with complimentary in home tuning, including tax. for a grand total of $5000.

California

G
G
Originally Posted by dealfinder
So last week I bought our K3, ebony, new, delivered, with bench, with complimentary in home tuning, including tax. for a grand total of $5000.

California

Potential "fake" price manipulating dealer, one post wonder?

AuroraG #1891379 05/04/12 09:01 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, dealfinder. That's a nice piano, I hope you enjoy it!

Gary
Plowboy #1891422 05/04/12 10:52 PM
R
R
Well less than 60 days ago you could get a Kawai K3 for $4500 delivered with a free tuning in the NY tri-state area.

CA always seems to get slightly better deals. What seems suspect about that?

A few of us recently got Kawai K8s for $8000 to $8500 not even including the $300 rebate.

M
M
Originally Posted by Rafterman
A few of us recently got Kawai K8s for $8000 to $8500 not even including the $300 rebate.

Should probably clarify as that's without tax wink

2nd prices have changed since the new price guide became available. I'm on Par with Gomer's comment.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
AuroraG #1891652 05/05/12 11:24 AM
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Speaking officially for Larry Fine:

Please keep in mind that the suggested range of 10% - 30% off the SMP is NOT a range of or for negotiation. It is a range to allow for the differing costs to dealers in different markets.

PLEASE READ the introduction to his pricing at http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/203.html.

One of Larry's major misgivings is the misuse of his pricing guidelines, dominantly by those who do not understand the major differences in costs to different dealers and in differing situations. Shoppers, and some regulars here, too often suggest that a price higher than 30% off SMP leaves room for negotiation. Assuming that a price of say 15% off SMP is higher than it ought to be, is in fact, unfair to a dealer with higher overhead.

He and I have, on many occasions discussed eliminating pricing altogether. The reason he hasn't done so it that it is likely the single most sought piece of information that shoppers look for.

I would hope that the regulars here on the Piano Forum would help educate shoppers on the right perspective to take when considering the MSRP, SMP and "street prices".

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

Please keep in mind that the suggested range of 10% - 30% off the SMP is NOT a range of or for negotiation. It is a range to allow for the differing costs to dealers in different markets.

Thanks for clarifying this very important point. Although what you say does IMO follow logically from all the rest of the explanation about SMP and varying dealer wholesale prices given in the Piano Buyer, I must admit that I didn't fully understand this. Perhaps adding these sentences to the next edition would be helpful.

S
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

Thanks for clarifying this very important point. Although what you say does IMO follow logically from all the rest of the explanation about SMP and varying dealer wholesale prices given in the Piano Buyer, I must admit that I didn't fully understand this. Perhaps adding these sentences to the next edition would be helpful.

Good point.

I spoke to Larry and we will add it to the next edition.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

AuroraG #1892368 05/06/12 04:37 PM
S
S
Kawai K-3 pianos, I sell them for $2,500. but the keys and legs are extra. Bench is extra and delivery can range from $50. to $1500.

Do you want or need to talk to a sales consultant and will you tip the mover? Some dealers tune the pianos more than once, is that important? When you buy you might want some service, is that improtant?

Good sales people are very expensive, but do not make nearly as much nor do they have any of the fringe benefits as a policeman or fireman, or a politician or any government employee.

If I sell a K-3 for $5000. OTD the sales person might make about $150.00

You allow Macy's to charge you 700% when you buy a shirt and you allow Starbucks to make 800% when you buy the flavored water.

Auto Dealers have prices fixed so that they can make a margin that will allow them to stay in business.

These post about prices are just unfair to our business and the people in the business should join in on this one.

Teacher and techs often will ask for commissions for sending over a customer (something we do not do at our store but I know it happens all the time) how many piano salespeople ask a teacher or tech. for a kickback for a recommendation.

Sorry to get on the soapbox, but just need to air a few gripes.

A McBain-Carnes Piano Company - Since the 1920's
391 South Winchester Blvd San Jose, California
Purveyor for: Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Walter Pianos
Preowned: Yamaha/Steinway (408)248-9200
www.sanjosepianostore.com
S
S
Originally Posted by Scott McBain

You allow Macy's to charge you 700% when you buy a shirt and you allow Starbucks to make 800% when you buy the flavored water.

Macy's operating margin is 9% and Starbucks is 13%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=M+Key+Statistics
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SBUX+Key+Statistics

These post about prices are just unfair to our business and the people in the business should join in on this one.

I think you knowing how much you paid wholesale and me having no idea is unfair.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Auto Dealers have prices fixed so that they can make a margin that will allow them to stay in business.

Scott, IMHO, the industry needs to look at themselves. They created this pricing mess.

Gary
Plowboy #1893964 05/09/12 06:12 AM
J
J
Originally Posted by Plowboy

Scott, IMHO, the industry needs to look at themselves. They created this pricing mess.

The auto industry is worse for the dealers. You complain about the pricing threads. How would you like to have the invoice where you purchase your pianos wholesale posted on the web, easily found for all to see?

Jonathan

D
D
To me it does not make any sense that a piano is more difficult to shop around than a car!

I bought a wooden shed last summer and paid $3,500. There was no negatiation and the price was posted as "take it or leave it". All other shed suppliers in my area had the same policy.

I requested a price by e-mail on a Kawai K3 just to "test the water" and I received $10,000 (in Ontario Canada). Upon visiting the store a month later, I got $7000 (plus 13% tax) without any negotiation. However, I doubt I can get the price down to $5000 tax included! (Another example where pricing is higher in Canada because of lower sales volume).

I just wish piano prices were posted "as is", with an MSRP that makes sense. This way people like me could concentrate on features, touch and tone when shopping around...

My two cents.

Daniel

To play or not to play, that's the question!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission