2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
80 members (almo82, astrotoy, Amusingprofessor, anotherscott, 8ude, Abdol, AWilley, 21 invisible), 651 guests, and 525 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
trills
#1893744 05/08/12 07:02 PM
N
OP Offline
N
i am not able to see my teacher for 3 weeks, so i figured i'd ask the forum.

- my trill technique is so weird. one day my trills will be fluent and consistent, the next day they will choke and not cooperate. also, my left hand is much more obedient and consistent with trills than my right hand. seriously.. how is this even possible? i'm right handed!

i've always heard "focus on your fingers coming off the keys, rather than pressing down". i try this but it doesn't seem to make a difference. can anyone offer some good techniques to help with this?

-thanks-

Re: trills
nocturne152 #1894253 05/09/12 02:54 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
You probably got no response because your question was somewhat vague. But anyway, I struggle with this as well. I think you need consistent and effective practice even to get something as simple as the trill to sound the way you want. This video has some really good tips. Watch it and see if you find any of it helpful (I did). It'll be easier than me trying to type up what he says in the video anyway smile

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
nocturne152 #1894324 05/09/12 05:04 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The way I get consistent trills is by staying completely relaxed. If I am trilling properly, my hand is rotating slightly right to left as if I am opening a doorknob.

If you are approaching the trill with tension, it will cause you to lock up. Try "thinking" that you will start the trill slowly, but don't actually do it; just think it. I find this helps.

Best regards,

Deborah
nocturne152 #1894592 05/10/12 04:21 AM
That was a fantastic and instructive video, thank you!

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
nocturne152 #1894626 05/10/12 06:43 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I thought that was a very informative and helpful video too.

I've been working on "Pictures at an exhibitions," and encountering trill difficulties as well as tremolo difficulties. And I'm about to go to the piano and try Josh Wright's ideas out, especially that last exercise he suggests. I'll bet it can be applied to tremolos too.

However, the ideas that the trill hand is independent of the non-trill hand doesn't quite click with me. No matter how magical, natural or easy it seems to conceive, play and hear the trill as "independent," it still seems to me that there must be a rhythmic pattern and pulse that coordinates with the pattern and pulse of the non-trill hand. Wonder what you all might think?

Josh Wright comes off to me as a very helpful young man who has been seriously thinking about how to play the piano. This clip was truly very helpful, and I'm going to try to find his other clips.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

nocturne152 #1894673 05/10/12 08:59 AM
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
My trills have never been very even so I was interested in Josh's instructional video. I was surprised to learn that I have been committing Mistake #1, using my 2nd and 3rd fingers to trill. I tried his exercise using the 3rd and thumb and other suggested combinations and I can already see a glimmer of improvement. Thanks for posting this!

nocturne152 #1894763 05/10/12 11:34 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I haven't yet watched the video, but I have no problems with the 2-3 trill. Doing the Hanon trill exercises really helps. A trill is such a fast thing that if you are in the least way tense it will freeze up, become uneven, etc. Doing them methodical and slow and even and gradually increasing the speed has always been the best bet, while making sure your wrist remains flexible (not tense) as well as the other fingers (not a part of the trill) of the hand not sticking up or tensing in any way.

I believe a trill is more of process of training the brain and not as much a muscle kind of thing. Because of this, it takes longer to learn and must be done slowly at first.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
nocturne152 #1894790 05/10/12 12:41 PM
I heard about 2-3 being a slight no-no from Stephen Hough's blog - still, I find it much more comfortable, even, and rapid than 1-3. Perhaps I should practice 1-3 more, but I to me, using the thumb introduces too much rotation. Some rotation is great and in fact essential IMO, but when the whole forearm is oscillating and the pinky side of the hand (with all that heavy muscle) is flapping around (as in 1-3), I think the movement is less efficient than it could be.

It seems to me that one can play 2-3 with a reasonable level of rotation (very slight in the arm, a bit more at the wrist) that allows great freedom in trilling.

I also found the video good and informative on the basic tenets of how to trill, but I would disagree with him on his opinion of 3-4 and 4-5 fingerings. One of the most astonishing technical features of Gilels' pianism, for instance, was his ability for trills of infinitely variable speed, dynamic, and color even when using the outer fingers. Even if it's not the fingering we will use in most places, having the ability to do that (to a lesser degree than the greats, of course) helps us immensely in many technical - and by extension, musical - aspects of our playing.

nocturne152 #1894935 05/10/12 04:52 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
since op.111 I have no fear for trills anymore, took me 1 year though

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Schimmel K 132
by Lady Bird - 12/04/20 04:16 PM
Pianoteq presets
by Eli26 - 12/04/20 03:47 PM
A hauntingly beutiful piece you probably never heard
by pianoloverus - 12/04/20 02:29 PM
Them Donners and Lagrimas
by jeffcat - 12/04/20 02:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,259
Posts3,030,504
Members99,480
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission