2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1889983 05/02/12 12:24 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
(This is not a piano topic.)

I'm curious to know what celebrations are going on in your area. I don't know anyone here celebrating "May Day". When I hear "May Day" the first thing I think of is the distress call you see in movies. But I'd love to hear whether others celebrate it and if so how it's being celebrated.

In Kentucky we have the Kentucky Derby the first Saturday of each May. Women buy big hats at this time of year (I don't). It's a horse race at Louisville Downs and an excuse to throw a party. This is the only time of year you'll hear "mint juleps" mentioned.

There is also Mother's Day coming up soon. A time to either get your mother a gift or to call, or just feel guilty for not doing anything.

Anything that is being celebrated in your neck of the woods?

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"...your neck of the woods..."

Many May day events were cancelled due to the inclement weather conditions. A lot of the UK was officially put on drought status a couple of weeks ago, so obviously it hasn't stopped raining since! We had the hottest March on record and now the wettest April in >100 years (and a drought)!

A village a couple of miles up the road does a good traditional do...
Iron Acton May day

This is what would have been on offer...

10.30 Westerleigh Brass Band
10.45 Procession & crowning of May Queen & King
11.30 Morris Dancers and Cloggers
12.15 Country Dancers from North Road School
12.30 Maypole Dancers from Iron Acton School
13.00 Tug of War
13.45 Kathryn Hurley's School of Dance
14.15 Dog Obedience
14.45 Morris Dancing
15.30 Maypole dancing with Adult Dance to follow
Live music from 16.00

I guess the big 'do' further down in the South West (Cornwall) is the Padstow May day 'obby oss' do, which is probably even more pagan in origins and basically features massed bands of accordian players and drums playing the same tune (May Song) all day non-stop (whilst the pubs do good business)...

Padstow May day celebrations

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Wow! May Day is big there. Thanks for the pix and info. smile

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
BTW, I came up with this thread after ordering a book from Nikolas (from Greece). He had messaged me on May 1st to say that he received the order and since it is May Day it would go to mail the following day. That's when I realized that May Day is celebrated elsewhere.

Here everything was open including the banks. And banks close for almost ANY holiday. So you know May Day is not a big deal here.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The UK May "Bank Holiday" (Public Holiday) is next Monday (7th).

EJR #1890754 05/03/12 10:07 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by EJR
The UK May "Bank Holiday" (Public Holiday) is next Monday (7th).

It's nice getting a peek at what's going on in other countries. Enjoy your holiday.

Oh, I forgot to mention we have Memorial Day on Monday May 28. Schools, banks and all will be closed.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
BTW, I came up with this thread after ordering a book from Nikolas (from Greece). He had messaged me on May 1st to say that he received the order and since it is May Day it would go to mail the following day. That's when I realized that May Day is celebrated elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
Here everything was open including the banks. And banks close for almost ANY holiday. So you know May Day is not a big deal here.

Ann, I vaguely remember as a young child leaving little baskets with candy on the porches of neighbors on May Day. Also at the playground, we really did dance around the Maypole (which was some pole with a ball attached that none of us knew what to do with). We had no idea what we were celebrating though. This was in North Dakota, by the way.

Sandy

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by piRround
I vaguely remember as a young child leaving little baskets with candy on the porches of neighbors on May Day.

piRound,
Thanks for sharing your memories about May Day. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
True, true... smile

the 1st of May is celebrated here by gathering flowers and keeping them in the front door, until the beginning of the summer, when we burn them and jump over the fires (I think to drive away the bad spirits?)

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Nikolas
True, true... smile

the 1st of May is celebrated here by gathering flowers and keeping them in the front door, until the beginning of the summer, when we burn them and jump over the fires (I think to drive away the bad spirits?)

Thanks Nikolas. It's so interesting to see what traditions people have.

BTW I'm getting ready to be off the first week of June for a summer "staycation". I'm doing my travel by talking with folks here on PW, reading etc. I appreciate the people on this forum. smile

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, I forgot to mention we have Memorial Day on Monday May 28. Schools, banks and all will be closed.

Ann,

That sounds like a sombre occasion, I'm not sure whether to wish you enjoy it or not? frown

The week after (4th & 5th June), we get a "double" bank holiday Spring Bank holiday on the Monday and then on Tuesday it's Lizzie's Diamond Jubilee bank holiday thingie.

"Staycation" - like it! I'm on Staycation this week....

Last edited by EJR; 05/04/12 03:59 PM.
EJR #1891309 05/04/12 06:52 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by EJR

That sounds like a sombre occasion, I'm not sure whether to wish you enjoy it or not? frown
Lizzie's Diamond Jubilee bank holiday thingie.

It looks like we traded the joy of "May Day" and May pole dances for "Memorial Day". People are happy to be off work, and there are plenty of cook outs. But in the back of your mind you wonder if you should be visiting graves of relatives.

Lizzie's Diamond Jubilee-we definitely don't have that one. laugh

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ann, out west here in Seattle, we have another tradition growing in popularity. You may have caught some of it on the evening news. We like to dress up in black, grab crow bars, and run though town and smash cars, shop windows, etc. It adds a lot of festivity to the occasion. Sometimes our local police will add color by letting off some tear gas, just for effect, of course.

Speaking of mint juleps, I'll bet it's one of the few days you get to sing the unexpurgated version of, "My Old Kentucky Home."

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Ann, out west here in Seattle, we have another tradition growing in popularity. You may have caught some of it on the evening news. We like to dress up in black, grab crow bars, and run though town and smash cars, shop windows, etc. It adds a lot of festivity to the occasion. Sometimes our local police will add color by letting off some tear gas, just for effect, of course.

Speaking of mint juleps, I'll bet it's one of the few days you get to sing the unexpurgated version of, "My Old Kentucky Home."

No I hadn't heard about these "celebrations" in Seattle frown

To tell the truth I've never been to the Kentucky Derby, but I think you're right about the original verses being sung. laugh

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I'll bet it's one of the few days you get to sing the unexpurgated version of, "My Old Kentucky Home."

Update. "I'll Have Another" just won the derby. This time I paid attention to the singing and saw that "My Old Kentucky Home" was the sanitized version ("the people are gay").

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission