2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
54 members (DigitalSpace, Carey, Bill McKaig,RPT, bwv872, crooow, anotherscott, c++, Beowulf, 36251, 9 invisible), 502 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Would it Matter to You?
GlassLove #1891777 05/05/12 02:26 PM
Time to go play the piano.

The Hound #1891778 05/05/12 02:27 PM
N
N

"Either way, and to put it more simply, if two people are arguing the existence of God and each one is certain, then the burden of proof clearly lies with the one making the positive claim. I don't see how that can be disputed."

No it doesn't. The burden of proof lies with ANYONE making a claim. Positive or negative, regarding anything - not just god. And I'll go into philosophy if you really want some "arguments" towards "life" after death. Eh?

Mark_C #1891779 05/05/12 02:35 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mark_C
It was only a matter of time. ha

I'm amazed the thread made it this far....

Hitler was a christian, you know. laugh ha

Damon #1891780 05/05/12 02:38 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by Mark_C
It was only a matter of time. ha

I'm amazed the thread made it this far....

Hitler was a christian, you know. laugh ha

He thought he was.

GlassLove #1891781 05/05/12 02:38 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Of course it's offensive. Thanking god for this recital? Did god work and practice, or did I? If that happened to me I'd leave and say "if you're thanking god for my 'talent' and this recital, god is surely great enough to present you with an evening of music without me being here. Then the gratitude would be justified."

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
GlassLove #1891783 05/05/12 02:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
And the prize goes to Damon for being the first person in this thread to mention Hitler.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
nocturne152 #1891789 05/05/12 03:10 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by lostaccato

"Either way, and to put it more simply, if two people are arguing the existence of God and each one is certain, then the burden of proof clearly lies with the one making the positive claim. I don't see how that can be disputed."

No it doesn't. The burden of proof lies with ANYONE making a claim. Positive or negative, regarding anything - not just god. And I'll go into philosophy if you really want some "arguments" towards "life" after death. Eh?

Well done for ignoring both the arguments I made and generally accepted philosophical convention, I guess. Good luck getting people to prove those negatives.

As for your offer - no thanks. I somehow suspect that if it were something actually convincing I'd have heard it anyway, and I've had quite enough religious sophistry for now - it's hardly what I came to this site for anyway. Music is far more important to me than my non-belief in all mankind's various deities. As my man Frank Zappa once said: "music is the only religion that delivers the goods".

Kind of surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet, actually, given what happened to the one about "divine insipiration".

Last edited by The Hound; 05/05/12 03:12 PM.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ("Pastoral") First two movements; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein") First movement
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
GlassLove #1891793 05/05/12 03:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't get upset about these things. If someone wishes to pray for me or pronounce a blessing directed towards me, or pray for me according to their religion I would take it as it is intended - well wishes for me. A compliment that they would think to do so. No matter their religion. But that's just me.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
The Hound #1891798 05/05/12 03:21 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Hound

Kind of surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet, actually, given what happened to the one about "divine insipiration".

Well, thus far (according to what I have read), nobody is making implications about people being ignorant, stupid, lacking mental horsepower, etc. for their beliefs. From what I have seen it's just a back and forth discussion. Now if we get into those types of things.... smile

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Ken Knapp #1891800 05/05/12 03:30 PM
N
N
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp

Well, thus far (according to what I have read), nobody is making implications about people being ignorant, stupid, lacking mental horsepower, etc. for their beliefs. From what I have seen it's just a back and forth discussion. Now if we get into those types of things.... smile

Well, I called someone ignorant earlier - it's still up there^^ but it wasn't meant to be disrespectful. The comment basically proclaimed his/her ignorance of what philosophy even is. But unfortunately it looks like the discussions are ending here. At least, for me - because my offer was declined. This was a fun thread though, ha!

Ken Knapp #1891801 05/05/12 03:30 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp

Agreed, the discussion has been reasonably civil (as one should hope). It was just that the person who closed that other thread (which was also civil) said something to the effect that the mods on here generally liked to completely avoid these kinds of topics, as the chances of flaming do rather increase the longer they go on.

Not that I'm trying to influence anything or that I particularly care if it stays open or not. smile

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 15 in D major, Op. 28 ("Pastoral") First two movements; Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein") First movement
Schumann/Liszt - Widmung
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
bennevis #1891810 05/05/12 03:50 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
What it all boils down to is, do you believe in the supernatural? grin

By jove bennevis, the more you say the better I like you. You're so nice about it too. grin

Oh, concise too!

Bech

Last edited by Bech; 05/05/12 03:54 PM.

Music. One of man's greatest inventions. And...for me, the piano expresses it best.
nocturne152 #1891813 05/05/12 03:52 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
deleted

Last edited by carey; 05/05/12 06:50 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
bennevis #1891835 05/05/12 04:38 PM
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by bennevis
What it all boils down to is, do you believe in the supernatural? grin

Yes! If, by supernatural, you mean this existence! grin

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
GlassLove #1891843 05/05/12 04:52 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
From my understanding of Calvin College, which also has a very well known seminary, and is a Christian organization, they pretty much pray before all events. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

To my knowledge, all performers (I've never asked so I am presuming this is how it works) are "invited" to perform here and if not invited are then accepted if they ask. However, there are some, that are never invited back for various reasons or if they ask, are refused. Usually, this will be due to some sort of "condescending type of an attitude" that is coped by some of them. Sarcastic, rude, condescending, overly demanding etc. That simply is NOT tolerated at all here. Or it could be the type of music they perform. Unchristian like music according to their standards.

As for, do they tell them before hand about prayer? I do not know but, seeing that they are playing on a campus that is a 'private' Christian College, with a large Seminary, they must know prayer is a very likely event and of course, is their prerogative seeing as it is Calvin's property. I think, if whomever, doesn't like it, they do not have to come otherwise, there's the door... smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Pogorelich. #1891854 05/05/12 05:12 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Of course it's offensive. Thanking god for this recital? Did god work and practice, or did I? If that happened to me I'd leave and say "if you're thanking god for my 'talent' and this recital, god is surely great enough to present you with an evening of music without me being here. Then the gratitude would be justified."

Goodness me! That is kind of intolerant, pogo! A musician offers her music to all humanity regardless of their creed. How about taking it graciously as a well intended compliment? What do you loose? As far as not recognizing the hard work and practice, I have news for you. When and if you start performing to capacity audience in major halls, you should know that many of the folks who will applaud or even give you a standing ovation, probably think you are just talented and have no idea that you slaved for hours over the music. What are you going to do? walk out on them too?

Pogorelich. #1891857 05/05/12 05:19 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I love you so I'm going to bite my tongue (difficult, though it may be). We'll talk soon, I'm sure.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

GlassLove #1891859 05/05/12 05:26 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you for the very useful information Jerry.

And I hope that you will join me in stating that Michigan and Grand Rapids are anything but "backward" (someone in the thread referred to it as that). This person has probably never visited our beautiful state, full of tolerance, diversity, and physical beauty.

I didn't mention Jerry in my earlier post because I wasn't sure that he wanted to be identified, but since he identified himself, I think you should also know that the audience applauded his remarkably quick piano repair. Several people who were sitting directly behind me were expressing doubt the ENTIRE time he was up there.....because he came from seat in the audience, they assumed he was just an audience member (very funny indeed). When he fixed it, they said......can't you predict it......."It is a miracle!!" (sorry I don't know how to do that "hide the text/click to reveal thingy."

Christine

[Linked Image]
Dave Horne #1891868 05/05/12 05:43 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
And the prize goes to Damon for being the first person in this thread to mention Hitler.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't have done it without my good friend Charles. wink

GlassLove #1891875 05/05/12 05:52 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by GlassLove

And I hope that you will join me in stating that Michigan and Grand Rapids are anything but "backward" (someone in the thread referred to it as that). This person has probably never visited our beautiful state, full of tolerance, diversity, and physical beauty.

Just to clarify, I didn't say it was backwards, I said a friend who was born and raised there said so. I did say this story and some details about your state university campus fit right in with what she had told me.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DGX-660: A key in a style playing wrong...
by Kruiser_56 - 11/28/20 09:23 PM
Photorelation - Complete piano disassembly, Yamaha P-155
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/28/20 08:41 PM
Interval recognition
by Sebs - 11/28/20 08:01 PM
Disklavier DKC-850 connect to Laptop?
by carlspost - 11/28/20 07:14 PM
Disklavier DKC-850 connect to Laptop?
by carlspost - 11/28/20 07:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,113
Posts3,028,283
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission