2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Gary D. Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by btb
It’s a game we all try at some time ... trying to divert any spotlight from our own weak ability to promote sight-reading acquisition.

Unfortunately, I've seen way too many examples to support Gary's observations.

The way our state testing is set up, kids can literally fail sight reading every single year and still "pass" and get shoved along to the next level. So I routinely get transfer students who are sight reading 5 or 6 levels below their repertoire level. Routinely!

I've seen so many examples, I start to see patterns. Weak sight readers usually:

1) study with teachers who don't teach theory and don't teach sight reading at all;

2) transition out of method books way too early (or don't use method books at all!);

3) were assigned pieces way above their true level in order to impress the evaluators/judges;

4) don't practice very much;

5) started in group lessons where "copy me" is the predominant method of instruction;

6) started in a certain "method" that over-relies on developing the ears and overlooks the importance of note-reading;

7) took lessons at one of those "music schools" (a.k.a. student factories) where individual attention is seldom given to the needs of every student.

and on, and on, and on...

thumb

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What a load of codswallops!!

AZN lists (bottom of the barrel ) teachers who

1. don’t teach theory or sight-reading
2. don’t use method books
3. assigned pieces above level to impress judges
4. don’t practice very much
5. started in "copy me" group lessons
6. “method” that over-relies on developing ears
7. took lessons at student factories

WHEN WE ALL KNOW (or should know) that youthful students
are ALWAYS bum at sight-reading (being so fresh in the game) ...
and that they quickly discover that quality rendition depends on
oodles of hard practice to MEMORIZE the keyboard piece.

You chaps should stop passing the buck!

G
Gary D. Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by btb

AZN lists (bottom of the barrel ) teachers who

1. don’t teach theory or sight-reading
2. don’t use method books
3. assigned pieces above level to impress judges
4. don’t practice very much
5. started in "copy me" group lessons
6. “method” that over-relies on developing ears
7. took lessons at student factories

WHEN WE ALL KNOW (or should know) that youthful students
are ALWAYS bum at sight-reading (being so fresh in the game) ...
and that they quickly discover that quality rendition depends on
oodles of hard practice to MEMORIZE the keyboard piece.

You chaps should stop passing the buck!

I don't even allow my students to play from memory until they have played five times, with music, and have had success. I give them new music to try each week, and they come back with it mostly learned, on their own. If I take the music away, they have no idea how to play it.

I teach memorization later, when they have learned to play fluently, with music AND have also experimented with playing by ear, which is the other side of music.

By the way, if you are torturing all of us, again, with your never-ending championing of an alternate system of notation, I will state, for the record, that the traditional notation system is horrendously flawed.

Where I differ with you is about the practical chances of changing it. Once upon a time I thought Esperanto was a great idea. I still do.

The problem is, you can't find anyone to talk to in Esperanto.

Do you have ANYTHING postive to add, or is your sole reason for posting just to annoy us? laugh

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Gary D,

You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot, by admitting that the current system of notation has “horrendous flaws” and insisting on students playing a fresh keyboard score 5 times to
improve sight-reading skills (but just locking in memorisation with each repeat!).

Please see my comments as being constructive ... what I object to is the ducking and diving
by teachers who point to the weak teaching skills of other teachers ... sheer baloney!

Any annoyance you might experience is of your own making.

PS I’m presently bowled over by the recent announcement of a painting by the Norwegian artist Edvard Munch whose painting “The Scream” sold for a record $120 million.
However, it is his poignant painting “The Sick Child” which presently has me bowled over.
Thought you might like to share a masterpiece.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/TheSickChild-by-EdvardMunch-.jpg

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by btb

I learned a new word today. smile

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by btb

PS I’m presently bowled over by the recent announcement of a painting by the Norwegian artist Edvard Munch whose painting “The Scream” sold for a record $120 million.
However, it is his poignant painting “The Sick Child” which presently has me bowled over.

If 2 people want a painting the value goes up. If I had those millions to spend I'd buy art too. I hope the buyers are also buying art from living artists.

Thanks for sharing the link to the painting.

Edit: I just read about "The Scream" on wikipedia. What drama for these four paintings with the same name. I especially love that art thieves who first stole "The Scream" left behind this note: "Thanks for the poor security". LOL! There may be inspiration for a movie script here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_scream

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 05/04/12 12:35 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb

You seem to be shooting yourself in the foot, by admitting that the current system of notation has “horrendous flaws” and insisting on students playing a fresh keyboard score 5 times to
improve sight-reading skills (but just locking in memorisation with each repeat!).

I read this as being what these students might DO --- not what the teacher wants them to do.

B
B
What do you do about students who memorize and practice their pieces from memory at home, even against your orders?

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
G
Gary D. Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Brinestone
What do you do about students who memorize and practice their pieces from memory at home, even against your orders?

Refuse to continue to teach them. It's OVER for me, if they do this. Period.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
WHEN WE ALL KNOW (or should know) that youthful students are ALWAYS bum at sight-reading (being so fresh in the game) ... and that they quickly discover that quality rendition depends on oodles of hard practice to MEMORIZE the keyboard piece.

yawn

"ALWAYS"???

yawn

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

There is a difference between these memorizers:

1) Those who learn everything correctly the first time and memorize all the correct notes, fingering, dynamics, etc.

2) Those who learn everything wrong the first time--wrong notes, wrong fingering, wrong articulations, wrong dynamics, wrong phrasing.

I love teaching Type 1. Type 2 drives me nuts! It takes so much longer for these kids to un-learn the wrong notes.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Edit: Deleted. I had missed the sarcasm.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 05/05/12 09:43 PM.
B
B
Sometimes I feel like a lot of you drop students for not being ideal. For instance, I had a student who finally quit a month or so ago. He'd been playing a total of five years, four with me. He was never a good practicer. Sometimes he'd forget his books. It took over a year to teach him to feel rhythms. When he quit he was finally, finally starting to read music well. Other students of mine who started over a year after him were passing him up.

But you know what? He was always pleasant at lessons. His mom was super supportive and grateful for what I did for him. She told me specifically that she would keep her son with me even if I moved half an hour away because she knew that other teachers would make him feel so bad about not practicing that he would just quit. She said if he'd had one of those kind to begin with, he'd have quit years ago. Even though his progress wasn't as fast or as far as it could have been, he made progress. He was about at the level of playing hymns, which was his goal to begin with.

Not every student is going to be Great with a capital G. Sometimes we can make a difference even with the less exceptional kids.

[/soapbox rant]

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Not every student is going to be Great with a capital G. Sometimes we can make a difference even with the less exceptional kids.
I think you're absolutely right about that.

I'm not sure about the dropping students because they're not ideal. I guess some do. Because they're draining perhaps. Some of the teachers you talk about are actually being tough on themselves rather than the students, and continually questioning whether they're doing something the best way, and beating themselves up when a student fails to progress. I think that's what I found totally exhausting about school teaching - you could never say you'd done enough. There was always something more you could have done.

If you were superwoman that is. I wasn't, so I got out of it. smile

Du holde Kunst...
G
Gary D. Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by currawong

I'm not sure about the dropping students because they're not ideal. I guess some do.

If I dropped all my students who are not ideal, I wouldn't have any students. wink

But if students refuse to even TRY to do the things I recommend, then I don't see how I can teach them. I'm used to resistance, but usually not much from students I start.

It seems to me that if we know what we are doing and can demonstrate that what we teach works, most people are rather excited about doing those things that work. Usually when they do not cooperate, it is really fear that those things won't work for them, or that they just can't do it. I think I'm pretty patient with those kinds of obstacles.

But complete refusal to TRY the things I recommend long enough to find it if they will work - that I can't handle. That's where I draw the line.

I think that if student A or student B drains us of so much energy that it begins to adversely affect how we work with other students, we actually OWE it to the other students - the ones who are showing a reasonable degree of cooperation - to let the troublesome student go.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission