2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (ChatNoir, chopinetto, Greta99, Herq, achoo42, hlm3, 8 invisible), 280 guests, and 377 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891035 05/04/12 11:31 AM
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
ClavBoy, no one expects a beginner to do anything beyond your level. So there's a reasonable expectation tied to everyone's perception of a piece. I don't think you need to worry about mistakes. Gluing a performance isn't going to change what we hear much and it may give a false sense of comparison when you listen to later submissions in the future.

As everyone has said, it's really about progress over time. You may hear really good performances at a particular recital for any one of us but listen back a few recitals and you will notice the slow progress.

I have a particular philosphy of recording only once. If there are mistakes, I post it anyway. As one of those that has commented on every recording in all the recitals I've been involved in, I can say that note mistakes are the least important of what I hear. There are other more important things like tone, rhythm, evenness, balance, etc. that really tell a listener where you are.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891060 05/04/12 12:00 PM
C
ClavBoy Offline
C
Ok, thanks for the comments, I'll see what I can do :-)

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Starr Keys] #1891246 05/04/12 05:14 PM
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
I love your sense of humor, LizAnne! That and your name alone would make you a welcome addition to recital list for me--it's not that I'm sexist, it's just that women and girls are usually so much in the minority on these lists. smile

To state that "women and girls are usually so much in the minority on these [Recital] lists" is a simple statement of statistical fact, and thus not sexist.

But to wish or desire for more participants of a specific gender (either male or female) when gender is totally irrelevant as a criteria for Recital participation (and totally irrelevant to the quality of performance)...well, that's another matter, and some hardcore cynics just might consider this at least borderline sexism.

Trap

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891271 05/04/12 06:00 PM
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm in. How do you tell what number you're in at?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: raptor] #1891317 05/04/12 07:10 PM
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by raptor
Oh no, just found out i'm flying off to a wedding for 3 days on the weekend before the 14th. Ahh!

Well, I hope if I practice all weekend long, i may be able to somehow make it in time to submit it on Wed, which is my last free day before I leave.

Would anyone mind a submission of an unpolished piece but still a decent attempt given timeframe?

Currently I've almost memorised the whole piece but can only play just over half of it hands together. shocked

Submit LH only? wink

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891318 05/04/12 07:12 PM
Eglantine Offline

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AB Forum Recital
Recital #26 is now open for submissions!

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

So no harpsichord then?

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: TrapperJohn] #1891332 05/04/12 07:44 PM
S
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
I love your sense of humor, LizAnne! That and your name alone would make you a welcome addition to recital list for me--it's not that I'm sexist, it's just that women and girls are usually so much in the minority on these lists. smile

to wish or desire for more participants of a specific gender (either male or female) when gender is totally irrelevant as a criteria for Recital participation (and totally irrelevant to the quality of performance)....some hardcore cynics just might consider this at least borderline sexism.

I can't be responsible for what others think, only for what I believe I know in my own heart and mind and from my own experience to be true. Woman and girls, at least in my generation, didn't receive as much support for pursuing difficult and challenging disciplines as men did, especially those perceived as involving math or science. Even today, the classical piano performance world seems to be dominated by men. Sexism played no small part in women and girls' low self-esteem and reluctance to challenge themselves when I was coming of age. It is as natural not to want to feel marginalized and not want others to suffer as you did as it is to be gratified by signs of progress and equality.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/04/12 07:54 PM.
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: ClavBoy] #1891368 05/04/12 08:35 PM
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by ClavBoy
A recital question: I'm still a very beginner but would maybe submit a piece to hear your comments about it, but I still have big problems with consistency during the pieces: Although the pieces are very short, I often make one mistake and therefore ruin the whole piece, especially when recording...
Is it ok if a submitted piece is recorded in 2 parts and then "glued" together in audio software or should the piece be played like in a "live" situation from start to beginning in one part?

There are recital purists who argue that it should be played as close to "live" as possible (and there are even some crazy fools brave souls who take one, and only one, take for the recital. eek )

However, many of us do multiple takes and/or editing. The consensus seems to be that it's okay to do editing, as long as you indicate that you've done so in the comments portion of the recital template.

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: PianoStudent88] #1891369 05/04/12 08:37 PM
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
I'm in. How do you tell what number you're in at?

Just click on the link to the recital. On the home page you'll see something that says "there are xxx submitted pieces" and then a little box that says "show me." Click on the "show me" and you'll see where you are in the queue.

Mahlzeit programmed it that way because some people wanted the recital to be a complete surprise and others wanted to know what pieces were being performed ahead of time.

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Eglantine] #1891371 05/04/12 08:40 PM
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted by Eglantine

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

So no harpsichord then?

Hmmm... that's never come up before. I don't know if I want to be the one to decide this. However, I'm guessing the number of harpsichord entries would be very very small so it may not be a big deal one way or the other. So I'd be tempted to tell you to go for it, and we'll deal with the issue later if all of a sudden we get 100 harpsichordists submitting pieces. laugh

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #1891378 05/04/12 09:00 PM
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by Eglantine

So no harpsichord then?

Hmmm... that's never come up before. I don't know if I want to be the one to decide this. However, I'm guessing the number of harpsichord entries would be very very small so it may not be a big deal one way or the other. So I'd be tempted to tell you to go for it, and we'll deal with the issue later if all of a sudden we get 100 harpsichordists submitting pieces. laugh

We have had submissions played on the organ before ...

You could get into strange problems if it was too strict. I wouldn't expect people to use a harpsichord setting on their digital but I can't think of a good argument why that would be any different than a digital piano sound!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891409 05/04/12 10:17 PM
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I think the harpsichord, being a keyboard instrument, is related to the piano.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #1891415 05/04/12 10:26 PM
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
There are recital purists who argue that it should be played as close to "live" as possible (and there are even some crazy fools brave souls who take one, and only one, take for the recital. eek )

LOL - I'm definitely not one of the purists. Hehe. But One-Take is a self challenge.

Really though, it's an attempt to fight the Red Dot. The more repeats, the more the Red Dot takes over.

The close to "live" thing is my cover...it means mistakes are expected (I don't have to bother hiding them) smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891417 05/04/12 10:32 PM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yea, harpsichords!

smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891438 05/04/12 11:28 PM
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Harpsichord is a string instrument unlike the piano which is a percussion instrument. Percussion instruments are those where you have to hit something to make the sound. So drums are percussive, obviously, but less obviously the piano is also percussion, because the sound is made by striking the strings. Harpsichord is not percussive because the strings are plucked, not struck.

But...because they are so cool, harpsichords are still IN!

One comment on the editing/splicing. Doing so is definitely NOT encouraged as that is NOT the purpose of these recitals. It was never meant to be a cut and paste project but rather something as close to the real thing as possible. If you must do it, please don't make it a habit as it really is counter productive to what we are trying to accomplish here.

Displaying an accurate representation of your abilities is how we all can observe someones progress over time. A cut and paste job is just that. It certainly is NOT an accurate representation of your abilities and the concept itself is ridiculous on a 'beginner' forum.

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891443 05/04/12 11:43 PM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
(Happy birthday, s-h)

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: notbach] #1891523 05/05/12 04:11 AM
R
raptor Offline
R
Originally Posted by notbach
Originally Posted by raptor

Would anyone mind a submission of an unpolished piece but still a decent attempt given timeframe?

Have you listened to my last entries? eek

Submit what you have and we can commiserate in the aftermath!

I have listened to them both and they are really nicely played. I'd like to learn both songs myself. Especially the Schumann one.

I will follow your advice and submit what I have when I get to recording it.

At the moment I'm currently spending the entire weekend analyzing the song, breaking it up into sections to practice, ironing out the mistakes, recording parts and listening to it to identify problem areas and to work on them.

I am seeing some improvement from my efforts, especially with making it more flowing and less stopping every so often from memory blanks. Hopefully it won't be too bad when it comes to time to record it.

Currently I can't play the song to the end yet, so thats my goal for this weekend.

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891541 05/05/12 06:42 AM
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I agree - harpsichords should be IN IN IN !!!!
While the fact that piano is a percussion instrument and the harpsichord is a stringed instrument is quite true, I think the relationship between the instruments is strong enough that harpsichord is more than relevan here and I would be thrilled to hear some period music played on one.

I fully agree with what BenPiano and the others have written about this not being a contest - and that it is important for people of all levels to fee certain that their performances are welcome and appreciated.

I also agree that multiple takes on your performance is not always a great idea. You can stress out too much aiming for that "perfect performance" - but really, is there such a thing?

I may do a few takes, sometimes I've limited myself to one and just gone with that. I really do believe that these recitals have to honestly reflect where each of us is on own own piano journey.

I feel doing a cut and paste doesn't fit with the spirit of the recital -which is "let me show you what I can do NOW" - and really - it is so exciting to see how we progress. I have had some heartwarming comments on my own progress over the past 2 years and I share in the excitment of hearing people who are even newer than I am to the piano who work up the courage to participate.

I had my piece ready - and then played it for my teacher who suggested that (now that I've gotten over my phobia of using the pedal) I should add pedal to it. So.... I'll experiment a bit this week and try re-recording. I will be present, but not sure when! smile

I seem to have missed Mr. Super-Hunky's birthday! Happy BD sir, hope your day was wonderful!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891592 05/05/12 09:01 AM
Eglantine Offline

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
I'm glad to hear that harpsichords are in. grin

My Olympus audio recorder has just been delivered back to me, presumably fixed, but not checked yet. I also need to tune the harpsichord. And in particular my top C, which I hadn't bothered with before (as I didn't need it, plus the Korg tuner was having problems with it) but now do need. And not sure if I have time for that, as new client from yesterday until 18th, and away at a conference, will mean I'm super busy. But if not this time around, next time for sure.

Do we have the forward dates for future recital submission periods?

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital #26 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #1891599 05/05/12 09:24 AM
P
PianoStudent88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Dates: doesn't it go every three months? So next recital submissions would be first two weeks of August, and then first two weeks of November.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  BB Player 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Resonance piano-Inspired by the music of Nils Frahm FREE
by newer player - 04/07/20 11:30 PM
Kurzweil PC88mx Repair Help
by wondertwins - 04/07/20 09:17 PM
What is your ranking of the piano composers?
by achoo42 - 04/07/20 08:10 PM
Roland DP603 for my 50th ...
by TheophilusCarter - 04/07/20 07:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,981
Posts2,942,900
Members96,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission