2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
I am using the ProMedia 2.1 speakers with subwoofer, and, wanted to know if I have connected the speaker wires correctly:

1) Is the output voltage the same for both the "L" (left) and "R" (right) speaker wire connection clips on the subwoofer?
2) Does it matter if the left satellite wires go to the "R" side clips, and, right satellite wires go to the "L" side clips?

The reason for asking this is that the right side satellite speaker has the control pod on it, and, wondered if there is any difference in the voltage requirements for this speaker, as compared to the left one?

My current wiring is reversed since it made sense to hook them up so that the two sets of speaker wires would not be crossed in the back after turning around the subwoofer to face the wall, etc.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It makes no difference. But ... why not just do it the "right" way, as stated in the instructions?

Is it because you want to put the right speaker (with the volume control) on the left, and the left (no controls) speaker on the right? (Because you're left-handed?)

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi Mac,

I did not change the speaker setup, as the satellite with the control pod is on the right and the other satellite is to the left, exactly as the manual indicates. I have only wired the two speakers in reverse fashion on the subwoofer, since the wires would end up crossing one another leading up from the back of the subwoofer, to each speaker.

Is the voltage/power (output) from each of the subwoofer's two speaker connections exactly the same?

It makes no difference.
BTW, what is the harm in having the wires cross?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Not a problem at all with the crossed wires, however, why wouldn't Klipsch orient the clips so that "L" is on the right side, and, "R" on the left side, instead? This makes sense after you connect the speaker wires, as they are then oriented correctly, just as the speakers are placed above (on the V), left and right.

This makes it look like Klipsch made a mistake with the orientation of the speaker clips, on the subwoofer. Didn't they know this would happen after you turn the subwoofer around to face the wall, as indicated?

Okay, but what about the voltage (outputs) then?

The same for each clip, "L" and "R"?

K
K
Agreed, it makes no difference. Furthermore I would always follow the instructions as you usually can't go wrong with the way they tell you.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Okay, then I suppose I should re-wire them back into the crossed fashion, otherwise they do not match up, as far as the manual is concerned. However, the speakers are working just fine in reversed order.

As for the output from each clip, I still need to confirm with Klipsch to see if the right satellite speaker (with control pod) requires more power or not, otherwise my reversed wiring is perfectly fine.

Can anyone confirm if the output from each clip is identical?

Of course they're identical.

And, as Kona says, you should connect the right speaker to the right terminals, and likewise for the left. If not, your sounds will be reversed (unless you put the right speaker on the left ... but you've already said you're not doing that).

There's a cable that connects the subwoofer unit to the control panel. If the latter needs power, it's coming over that cable.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pv88
Not a problem at all with the crossed wires, however, why wouldn't Klipsch orient the clips so that "L" is on the right side, and, "R" on the left side, instead? This makes sense after you connect the speaker wires, as they are then oriented correctly, just as the speakers are placed above (on the V), left and right.

That reminds me of one time I was perusing the manual of a Kurzweil SP88X I had and came across this paragraph:

"Please note that the Right outputs are on the left, and the Left outputs are on the right -- just one of those confusing facts of life."

Last edited by LesCharles73; 05/05/12 01:50 PM.

Les C Deal

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Just to go exactly by the book (i.e., manual) I decided to re-wire the speakers so that left matches left, and, right matches right. Turns out the only difference in the sound itself may be the stereo imaging effect, as the channels are now correctly lined up for proper left and right perspective.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pv88
I am using the ProMedia 2.1 speakers with subwoofer, and, wanted to know if I have connected the speaker wires correctly:

1) Is the output voltage the same for both the "L" (left) and "R" (right) speaker wire connection clips on the subwoofer?
2) Does it matter if the left satellite wires go to the "R" side clips, and, right satellite wires go to the "L" side clips?

The reason for asking this is that the right side satellite speaker has the control pod on it, and, wondered if there is any difference in the voltage requirements for this speaker, as compared to the left one?

My current wiring is reversed since it made sense to hook them up so that the two sets of speaker wires would not be crossed in the back after turning around the subwoofer to face the wall, etc.

I depends what you are listening to.
I was invited to someone's house one time to listen to something (I forget what) on their new sound system and right away identified just about all the instruments as being on the wrong side of the stage.
I found it aggravating, but complimented the sound anyway.
Several months later I discretely suggested that maybe the speakers were swapped.

For mono sound (& pianos kinda/sorta ARE mono), I agree with other posters who said it doesn't matter, but if you want a realistic stereo image in which instrument placement MATTERS then it is worth doing it right.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission