2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, 1200s, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
As usual, it looks like I'm going to be in the last tier, although, I promise, Monica, this time I'll get it in at least a day early so its certain to be uploaded properly.

I'm actually further along with my arrangement and piano performance than usual and I've got all my Mother's Day decorations set up on the piano ready to film, but I need the extra time to work on the vocal, since this time I've arranged it so I absolutely cannot chicken out on singing at the last minute--I've only done accompaniment and there is no piano solo in the middle for me to fall back on. It's either sing or don't play!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I have decided that my Chopin Walts A-min (same as Raptor's) is not presentable. (Well, to be honest, I'm not surprised). I've been polishing up a piece I studied a while back but never recorded... I hope to get it sounding pretty enough to submit in the next few days.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

N
N
Have an appointment for a tuning on the 11th, so I think I'll wait until then to record. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to submit and get it up to snuff!

Actively working on:
Bach - Two-part Invention No. 14
Chopin - Prelude in E minor - Op. 28, No. 4
Notenbuch für Nannerl - Tempo di menuetto in F (Anonymous)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, only 2 days in, and we've got 21 submissions already. Imagine if it keeps going at this rate... !

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
As usual, it looks like I'm going to be in the last tier, although, I promise, Monica, this time I'll get it in at least a day early so its certain to be uploaded properly.

thumb That would be important for you to do, because I never did figure out why your piece wouldn't upload from your end last time. For this recital, I have a dinner commitment the night of the 14th, so I won't have time to troubleshoot individual entries at the last minute the way I am sometimes able to do.

So, fair warning to everybody: If you've ever had trouble uploading, or if you're new to the recital, tell yourself that the deadline is the 13th, and get your recording done so that any necessary trouble-shooting can be done in time.

R
R
Oh no, just found out i'm flying off to a wedding for 3 days on the weekend before the 14th. Ahh!

Well, I hope if I practice all weekend long, i may be able to somehow make it in time to submit it on Wed, which is my last free day before I leave.

Would anyone mind a submission of an unpolished piece but still a decent attempt given timeframe?

Currently I've almost memorised the whole piece but can only play just over half of it hands together. shocked

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Monica,
Thanks for the warning--very "fair" indeed.

Originally Posted by raptor
Oh no, just found out i'm flying off to a wedding for 3 days on the weekend before the 14th. Ahh!
Would anyone mind a submission of an unpolished piece but still a decent attempt given timeframe?
Currently I've almost memorised the whole piece but can only play just over half of it hands together. shocked

I certainly wouldn't since that's what I did at the last recital and if anyone minded, they didn't show it.

Why not play half from memory and read the rest? Just keep the sheets of the unmemorized part on the piano and make sure you memorize the last transition into the section you will start reading, if there is one. I do this in reverse with intros from sheet music transitioning into my own arrangements which I've memorized, but I also generally find it easier to start reading from a new section than half way through one I've only partly memorized.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/03/12 12:52 PM.
Oooh, how exciting. smile I'll be happy to take up the rear end of the list with a stunning rendition of some beginner's tune, with only a few blatant errors.

Up to 7 minutes?? Maybe I'll play a dozen repeats on my longest piece....

[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I love your sense of humor, LizAnne! That and your name alone would make you a welcome addition to recital list for me--it's not that I'm sexist, it's just that women and girls are usually so much in the minority on these lists. smile

N
N
Originally Posted by raptor

Have you listened to my last entries? eek

Submit what you have and we can commiserate in the aftermath!

Actively working on:
N
N
Originally Posted by LizAnne
I'll be happy to take up the rear end of the list with a stunning rendition of some beginner's tune, with only a few blatant errors.

You and I are fighting for that spot!

Actively working on:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oooh, how exciting. smile I'll be happy to take up the rear end of the list with a stunning rendition of some beginner's tune, with only a few blatant errors.

You know, I can understand your hesitation as an adult beginner on the piano to participate in these "Adult Beginner" recitals. There is some seriously good talent among members here.

But these recitals are in no way a competition for best performance.

It would be hard to do that since ABF members are very diverse. There are some long time "Adult Beginners" (they're not beginners anymore wink ), some ABF members that used to be awesome when they were in High School but stopped playing for a few years until just recently (and are still awesome), some Adult Beginners that manage somehow to squeeze in hours of practice time per day, members that played other instruments, etc...

These ABF recitals are really a place for ABF members, regardless of their piano progression, to display what they've been working on to those that might listen - because, frankly, a lot of us practice and play piano in an environment (at home, usually) that is not willing to listen, or is not conducive to positive reinforcement or encouragement.

I've been around here for a couple of years, and I can understand one's hesitation to participate in these recitals.

But I can tell you as a listening participant, there is no greater joy than hearing a true beginner's recital submission. And honestly, it's even more incredible to hear a recital participant's progression over time through these quarterly recitals.

So, this is the place to track your progress as you get more fluent on the piano. Every 3 months take one of the pieces you are working on and play it as best you can.

You'll be amazed at the results and the encouragement you find here at the ABF smile

The question is, "Why shouldn't you participate?" smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
V
V
Originally Posted by notbach
I'll be happy to take up the rear end of the list with a stunning rendition of some beginner's tune, with only a few blatant errors.

Not unless you both get in before me smile

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by BenPiano
But I can tell you as a listening participant, there is no greater joy than hearing a true beginner's recital submission. And honestly, it's even more incredible to hear a recital participant's progression over time through these quarterly recitals.

+1

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by vegasE
Originally Posted by notbach

Not unless you both get in before me smile

You guys are too funny laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I love your sense of humor, LizAnne! That and your name alone would make you a welcome addition to recital list for me--it's not that I'm sexist, it's just that women and girls are usually so much in the minority on these lists. smile

How can you tell which are the women here? For example, I notice that often people here assume I'm male. (I'm not.)

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

How can you tell which are the women here? For example, I notice that often people here assume I'm male. (I'm not.)

Hey, dude what do you mean you're a gal?! wink

Yeah, you can't always tell and to be honest I have never noticed any specific balance one way or the other.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88

Thanks for pointing that out, and you're right, I did assume you were male and have had people assume the same of me (you were one of them, come to think of it:). But a lot of people do videos for the recitals where it's obvious and they sometimes refer to their wives or girlfriends in posts (I know they could be gay, but percentage wise the chances are they are not), and I've seen/participated in enough of these recitals and ABF threads to see a lot of videos and read a lot of posts. Also I don't think its an unfair assumption to make that if a person chooses to use two traditionally female names as their handle, they are either anatomically feminine or stressing an identification with the gender that represents it.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 05/04/12 10:20 AM.
C
C
A recital question: I'm still a very beginner but would maybe submit a piece to hear your comments about it, but I still have big problems with consistency during the pieces: Although the pieces are very short, I often make one mistake and therefore ruin the whole piece, especially when recording...
Is it ok if a submitted piece is recorded in 2 parts and then "glued" together in audio software or should the piece be played like in a "live" situation from start to beginning in one part?

Last edited by ClavBoy; 05/04/12 12:00 PM.

Roland FP-7F

Working on:
Schumann: From Foreign Lands and Countries, op. 15; Burgmüller op. 100, Arabesque; Tchaikovsky op. 39 no. 15, Italian Song

Dreaming of:
Some Scott Joplin pieces i.e. Bethena. Still years to go for that...
Satie: Gnossienne No. 1. Maybe a bit earlier

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
ClavBoy, relax, this is not a contest.
The idea is to perform a "live" recital, where mistakes are usual (more even in begginer world). That way, we (and you) can analize your progress along the time.
But as far as I know you can do as you want.

Like BenPiano said :
"These ABF recitals are really a place for ABF members, regardless of their piano progression, to display what they've been working on to those that might listen - because, frankly, a lot of us practice and play piano in an environment (at home, usually) that is not willing to listen, or is not conducive to positive reinforcement or encouragement."

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission