Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
117 registered members (90125, ando, accordeur, 7uturu, bagovarna, AZNpiano, 25 invisible), 1,343 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? #1890104
05/02/12 05:43 PM
05/02/12 05:43 PM
J
JBaldwin Offline OP
JBaldwin  Offline OP
J

I found a Yamaha U1 that I love and want to buy. However, there is about a 12 inch long crack in the soundboard. The piano sounds and plays amazing, and the seller tells me that the crack is inconsequential.

I'd appreciate some informed advice on whether I should buy this piano.

Thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890109
05/02/12 05:53 PM
05/02/12 05:53 PM
Ludlow, Kentucky
Greg88 Offline
Greg88  Offline

Ludlow, Kentucky
If the piano sounds good to you and the price is right and everything else checks out, the crack might not be a reason to reject the piano. I've played pianos over the years with cracks in the soundboard and they sounded fine. Some soundboard cracks can produce unwanted buzzes and oddball sounds. I guess it depends on the crack... Played an old George Steck grand last Monday with several cracks in the soundboard that still produced a nice tone. I'm sure some of the tech experts around here can advise you better than me. Good luck!

Schumann Grand by Samick (1990)
Howard Grand by Baldwin (1941)
Yamaha Clavanova Digital
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890116
05/02/12 06:09 PM
05/02/12 06:09 PM
Tennessee
E
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ed Foote  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Tennessee
Greetings,
Yes, no, maybe. A crack or separation in a piano soundboard is of little consequence as long as it doesn't rattle. It could indicate other conditions, (see below), or it could be the normal separation spruce does when it is glued to ribs and fixed at the edges. It is also an indication that you should check as much of the soundboard surface as you can see, to make sure that the board doesn't have more of these. At some point, the quantity of cracks becomes a quality issue.

It is important to observe the surfaces on either side of the crack and see if they are in the same plane. If one side is up, that means it is coming loose from the rib. This condition can be fixed by destringing and going all the way into the soundboard, but I have seen, over the years, many boards that had shims glued in between the ribs and board. It looked terrible, but performed as well as an uncracked board.

On the U1, it is more important to check the pedal wear, and the hammer wear. I think this model also uses fabric loops to attach the hammer spring,and if these begin to break, you have an action disa$$embly ahead of you. You should have a tech of your own choosing examine the action for problems like this.

There are several U1's from the 1960's at Vanderbilt that have been used in practice rooms for 40 years. They still hold a tune, and the actions are still serviceable, (albeit worn). Don't let a crack throw you off an otherwise good piano.
Regards,

Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890147
05/02/12 08:03 PM
05/02/12 08:03 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Performance issues related to the crack (or not) aside, it still has a cracked sound board. If it was a new piano, a cracked sound board would be considered a major defect and a sound board replacement/piano replacement would be covered under the warranty.

The perception issues are huge, in my view. Who wants an acoustic piano with a cracked sound board? Not me. The only way I would consider purchasing that piano is if the price was cheap enough to make me ignore the cracked sound board and focus on the positive atributes of the piano.

And, if you do buy it, you will be in the same boat if you decide to sell it… it is hard enough selling a used piano that is in show room condition, much less one with a cracked sound board.

I don’t know, maybe I just need to keep my opinions to myself; of course, it is worth about what it cost. smile

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Rick

Last edited by Rickster; 05/02/12 09:41 PM.

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890377
05/03/12 09:03 AM
05/03/12 09:03 AM
NC
M
mikeheel Offline
mikeheel  Offline
M

NC
I looked at two pianos with cracked soundboards when I was shopping a couple of years ago. They made me extremely nervous.

That said, on an older piano, I might accept it if everything else lined up nicely and I had a good understanding of the history of the instrument and was comfortable with the state of the crack and the sound of the piano.

But that's a big hurdle to overcome. And it means you better like it a lot, because selling it will be difficult.

Side note: you can have a crack "repaired" with a shim and/or some sort of putty-like substance, if I remember correctly (sorry; I may be off - it's been a couple of years since I read up on it). But I'd only have that done by a highly-qualified tech. And the repair can change the sound for the worse, too.

In the end, I'd generally avoid a piano with a cracked soundboard, but I wouldn't completely dismiss it if there were good reasons to consider it.

If you're bored, try my blog (mostly faith & family): http://mikeheel.wordpress.com.
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890403
05/03/12 09:50 AM
05/03/12 09:50 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Another quick story… the professional mover that moved one of my grand pianos told me that he was hired to move an older Yamaha grand piano that was about 250 miles away. The buyer had looked at the piano and made the deal with the seller. The mover said when he got to the sellers home and examined the piano before he started the move, he noticed a crack in the sound board. He showed it to the buyer, and the seller (both unaware of the crack) and wanted them to be aware of it so they did not try to accuse him of causing the crack in the move.

Since the price had already been agreed upon, the mover recommended that further price negotiations were in order, or the buy should look for another piano altogether. Although the mover was not a piano technician, he had been a piano mover for over 30 years and was familiar with pianos and what problems someone might try to blame on the mover.

Anyway, the mover said the seller agreed to lower the agreed upon price $1000 without hesitation. The buyer followed through and bought the piano.

So, a cracked sound board is not the end of the world, but not a positive thing either.

At least the OP knows about the cracked sound board and is aware of it… it is always best to have a used piano inspected by a piano technician or someone familiar with pianos.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890437
05/03/12 10:36 AM
05/03/12 10:36 AM
Tomball, Texas
J
John Pels Offline
1000 Post Club Member
John Pels  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Tomball, Texas
A cracked soundboard MAY be inconsequential, but unless you are clairvoyant, why take the risk. This is a U1. They made them literally by the boatloads. Find another that is to your liking without the crack. For me rebuilding is a hobby, and most projects I encounter have cracked soundboards to a greater or lesser degree. That said, I always unstring them and fix the cracks. If you eventually end up with a buzz and actually have to unstring it to fix said crack, any savings that you made in the original purchase will be quickly lost with a repair.

Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890477
05/03/12 11:31 AM
05/03/12 11:31 AM
K
kdr152004 Offline
kdr152004  Offline
K

play it safe. NO

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890631
05/03/12 04:51 PM
05/03/12 04:51 PM
J
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

No, please don't buy this piano, unless it is at an unbelievable price, and you are going to keep it forever.

There are so many U1s out there, and other pianos that are just as good that won't have a cracked board. Infact, I'd rather see you put your money into a nice new Clavinova.

Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890641
05/03/12 05:05 PM
05/03/12 05:05 PM
Minnesota
P
prenex Offline
prenex  Offline
P

Minnesota
I bought a piano with a cracked soundboard. Having been around wooden musical instruments my whole life, if the repair is done properly it should be good as new. Some violinists don't even repair cracks in their instruments. They just keep a dampit in the instrument all the time to keep the crack closed.

But I'm not a piano expert.

Last edited by prenex; 05/03/12 05:06 PM.
Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890647
05/03/12 05:09 PM
05/03/12 05:09 PM
J
joe80 Offline
2000 Post Club Member
joe80  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

Yeah, but to repair the crack, all of the strings have to come off, so the piano then needs re-strung. When you re-string, you might as well re-felt, etc.

When that kind of work is carried out it can cost thousands, in the UK anyway, and might make the purchase of this piano not financially viable. I've no doubt it could be as good as new (when it was new I mean, not the new models), but the costs involved may not be worth it.

Re: Should I buy a Yamaha with a cracked soundboard? [Re: JBaldwin] #1890676
05/03/12 06:15 PM
05/03/12 06:15 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
One does not necessarily have to remove the strings to repair a crack. Most cracks do not need any repair, anyway. If it bothers you, you do not have to buy it, and in any case, you do not need to match their asking price.

Be certain it is actually a crack in the soundboard. There are parts of many boards that are cut off from the soundboard, and cracks in those areas are not a problem. I do not recall if that is the case in a U1, but it very well could be. Those areas would usually be in the top bass area or the bottom treble area of the rectangle that we consider to be the soundboard. In fact, many soundboards are actually hexagonal.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Roland Keyboard with Alexa Voice Control?
by JohnSprung. 01/17/19 03:49 PM
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,631
Posts2,782,925
Members92,143
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission